Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Diapers not getting clean? Help! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450763)

elijahsmama 10-05-2012 10:57 AM

Diapers not getting clean? Help!
 
Soaking overnight cold water in top loader let it go through the cycle to drain the water then washing in hot wash, cold rinse? I use about half the recommended amount of Sun free and clear soap. Any ideas??? They still have yellow seedy yuck on them. All that were pooped in are very stained and have to be sunned every time? 1mo old with BF poo :mrgreen:

babycat42 10-05-2012 11:00 AM

Re: Diapers not getting clean? Help!
 
Ebf poop stains it's okay. you can sun it out.
Soaking overnight like like that will set your stains. Just run a warm rinse. You need to use a normal amount of soap, less soap= less clean.

babycat42 10-05-2012 11:02 AM

Re: Diapers not getting clean? Help!
 
You don't have to sun every time I wouldn't worry about the stains until you going to sell.

elijahsmama 10-05-2012 11:19 AM

Re: Diapers not getting clean? Help!
 
As far as full amount of soap wont it cause residue and wicking? Made me laugh less soap less clean duh! :blush: Wil try full amount. Only other thing is that it seems to have bigger chunks still not just staining? Would that be from lack of soap? NAK sorry for the lame grammer.

babycat42 10-05-2012 12:55 PM

Re: Diapers not getting clean? Help!
 
What kind of diapers are you washing?
And how much water are you using?
If the diapers are not rinsing clean you probably need more water or less diapers washed at a time.

elijahsmama 10-05-2012 06:51 PM

Re: Diapers not getting clean? Help!
 
Washing a mix of Sunbabies, fitteds (motherease,sandys and WAHMs) and some prefolds plus covers. I don't put too many in washer and use large load. It's probably enough diapers to be just over a med load and again I set washer to large. :headscratch:

onegratefulmama 10-05-2012 07:32 PM

Try pre wash on hot with 1/4 c of bleach hot wash full amount of detergent then hot post wash with 1 c vinegar. My top loader has cold only setting for rinse cycle but I do 3 rounds of hot wash/cold rinse for each load and it's worked well.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

fluffycheeks 10-06-2012 07:35 AM

Hmmmm, that's strange that the EBF poop is still sitting in the diaper. If using more of your detergent doesn't help, I would try a different detergent. You also may want to check that your machine is working properly - hot water is going in and it's fully agitating and stuff. When we've had EBF poop, it all pretty much comes out if the detergent free pre rinse, which is why I wonder if there is maybe something up with your machine.

AZmommy 10-06-2012 08:23 AM

Re: Diapers not getting clean? Help!
 
are you soaking the poo diapers or soaking rinsed diapers? Dont soak poo diaper you just soaking in the stains and smell.
The majority of the stuff should come off with just a good prerinse, detergent should take care of the rest, in my experience BF stains should be a rare thing and not something normal unless their is some other factor (certain meds etc) sunning is great for stubborn stains but it shoudln't be an every wash thing.

Deffiently use more detergent follow your detergents reccomendations for load and water type you can tweak it a bit from there. Its better to need an extra rinse or even an extra cycle to rinse than just not getting the diapes clean in the first place

How many are you washing at once? Too few and its not only a waste but they don't get the aggitation they often need but too crowded and diapers end up bunched and they dont get cleaned.. Also make sure diapers aren't all wadded up tight before going into the pail again they can sometimes stay all wadded rolled up and not get properly exposed to the water/soap.

abunchoflemons 10-06-2012 08:48 AM

Re: Diapers not getting clean? Help!
 
I agree not soak diapers all covered in poo (bf or solids poo) doesn't help. I got staining in my front load not rinsing poo b4 pail. So I always rinse poo out b4 pail & I actually like wet pail better than dry. Staining yea I wouldn't worrt til u sell. More detergent depending on if ur top load is supposed to be he or not.

yogamama28 10-06-2012 09:26 AM

I would do a warm wash as your prerinse with no soaking. Then add your detergent and run a hot wash and give it a extra rinse.

elijahsmama 10-07-2012 08:09 PM

Re: Diapers not getting clean? Help! *update* post 11
 
So I just washed no soaking hot water with full amount of soap pulled diapers out to look at before a rinse cycle and there were fleece liners that had a full amount of poop on them still. Diapers didn't look to good either. I washed again with different soap on a hot wash. The water is coming out hot and I had a med-large load set on a large setting, the mach. does agitate but I noticed diapers sit at the top of mach. while it's agitating, started pushing them down a bunch to agitate more. They look cleaner as far as no chunks but all that had poo are stained. One even had a orange urate crystal spot that is still stained. Any thoughts?

AZmommy 10-07-2012 08:48 PM

Re: Diapers not getting clean? Help!
 
honestly it sounds like a machine issue no a detergent one. I can put a pail full of poo stained diapers in and run jsut a prewash with nothing added and 100% of any thick poo will be gone and about 95% of stains will be gone jsut with a prewash.. Thye wont smell too pretty detergent then gets the rest and clean the odors out and the bleach I put in the prerinse helps with stains but its the washers aggitation that is the biggest aid in cleaning.
are you using the higehst aggitation speed possible?

nonipie 10-08-2012 09:31 AM

Re: Diapers not getting clean? Help!
 
Are you doing a pre-wash or rinse before your hot wash? I agree on no soaking but you need to be doing something before that hot wash to rinse them. Either a pre-wash setting or rinse cycle THEN do your hot wash. If that doesn't work I would say it was likely a washer issues.

EyeDocMommy 10-08-2012 10:20 AM

Do a hot cycle prewash and I would decrease your water level if they are floating at the top.

almostcrunchy 10-08-2012 10:59 AM

Re: Diapers not getting clean? Help!
 
Okay, my first thought is why would you put diapers with CHUNKS of poo on them in the washing machine?

You need to get the solids off before you put them in the wash. That's what a diaper sprayer is for. If you don't have one, get one....until then use a garden hose.

Personally, I would never even think to put POOP diapers in the wash without pre-rinsing them off with a sprayer (and I EBF too).

alaskamum 10-08-2012 10:59 AM

Re: Diapers not getting clean? Help!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AZmommy (Post 15777228)
are you soaking the poo diapers or soaking rinsed diapers? Dont soak poo diaper you just soaking in the stains and smell.
The majority of the stuff should come off with just a good prerinse, detergent should take care of the rest, in my experience BF stains should be a rare thing and not something normal unless their is some other factor (certain meds etc) sunning is great for stubborn stains but it shoudln't be an every wash thing.

Deffiently use more detergent follow your detergents reccomendations for load and water type you can tweak it a bit from there. Its better to need an extra rinse or even an extra cycle to rinse than just not getting the diapes clean in the first place

How many are you washing at once? Too few and its not only a waste but they don't get the aggitation they often need but too crowded and diapers end up bunched and they dont get cleaned.. Also make sure diapers aren't all wadded up tight before going into the pail again they can sometimes stay all wadded rolled up and not get properly exposed to the water/soap.

This--my dipes got cleaner on the med setting; on the large setting they kind of just floated around, didn't really rub against each other.

AZmommy 10-08-2012 11:28 AM

Re: Diapers not getting clean? Help!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by almostcrunchy (Post 15784694)
Okay, my first thought is why would you put diapers with CHUNKS of poo on them in the washing machine?

You need to get the solids off before you put them in the wash. That's what a diaper sprayer is for. If you don't have one, get one....until then use a garden hose.

Personally, I would never even think to put POOP diapers in the wash without pre-rinsing them off with a sprayer (and I EBF too).

as long as its only breastfeed poo its all water soluable and yes even the bigger "chunks" should rinse right off, a prerinse cycle before washing should clear that out fine the fact that after a full wash she is still seeing that much to be says the washer is jsut not doing its job.

I didn't own a sprayer till around 6 months or so and never rinsed a diaper did a cool prewash then long hot wash with detergent and extra rinse never had issues with stink or stains. IF the diapers were extra dirty I ran an intial quick wash instead of the prewash

However if that is the case PO you may need to spray off the diapers before going into the pail

AZmommy 10-08-2012 11:31 AM

Re: Diapers not getting clean? Help!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by alaskamum (Post 15784695)
This--my dipes got cleaner on the med setting; on the large setting they kind of just floated around, didn't really rub against each other.

I like setting my water level one up form my load, so like I'm washing say 6 diapers that is a small load in my machine so I wash medoim setting
when I was washing 12 at a time I washed large load not I wash XL load with 18, one up allows for good water flow and enough space for diapers to open and get exposed but still packed enough they can benifit from rubbing against each other.. I do heaviest aggitation as well.

erv0207 10-08-2012 05:35 PM

Re: Diapers not getting clean? Help!
 
I have never had a problem with bf poop on my fb diapers. I usually just go from pail to soaking (without rinsing unless it is really bad) overnight with baking soda and oxy. Then I wash with Charlie's in the am on hot/cold. I have never had staining on diapers or inserts. I usually sun dry diapers nut not alys the inserts .

elijahsmama 10-09-2012 08:03 PM

Re: Diapers not getting clean? Help!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AZmommy (Post 15782823)
are you using the higehst aggitation speed possible?

This did it! I can't believe I've never used the Heavy Duty option on our washer. Came clean in the pre-rinse. I haven't taken them out they're washing now but they looked great after the pre-rinse so I'm sure I'm good :yay: I do hope they won't get ruined in there though it's such hard agitation, but they're getting clean.
Thanks everyone!!!

onegratefulmama 10-09-2012 09:14 PM

Hurray for a solution!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

elijahsmama 10-09-2012 09:30 PM

Re: Diapers not getting clean? Help!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by onegratefulmama (Post 15791662)
Hurray for a solution!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Yes!!!

AZmommy 10-09-2012 11:01 PM

Re: Diapers not getting clean? Help!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by elijahsmama (Post 15791325)
This did it! I can't believe I've never used the Heavy Duty option on our washer. Came clean in the pre-rinse. I haven't taken them out they're washing now but they looked great after the pre-rinse so I'm sure I'm good :yay: I do hope they won't get ruined in there though it's such hard agitation, but they're getting clean.
Thanks everyone!!!

YEA! I alwasy do the heavest aggitation and I always ru na high aggitation pre wash and two high aggitation full wash cycles (one with detergent one without) and my diapers are fine and have last for many years doing this. Enjoy the clean diapers.

Deanna

babilove121405 10-14-2012 08:18 AM

Re: Diapers not getting clean? Help!
 
ive never had stains before except the other day, forgot to put a liner on and he had a really redish poop and i used oxy and washed it but they wont come out, i dont have the option of sunning this time of year any suggestions?

AZmommy 10-14-2012 12:53 PM

Re: Diapers not getting clean? Help!
 
Ive used regular stain spray on stubborn stain with decent success. Remember sun works even in cold or overcast so if you can hand it give that a try.. Last as long as its cleaned as in its not smelly and we are jsut talking a stain then I'd jsut wait it out its likely to get clean with an additional round or two in the washer. SOME stains do happen I find for the most part they are gone the next wash.

Servant4Christ 10-14-2012 01:51 PM

Re: Diapers not getting clean? Help!
 
At that stage, stains were the norm but would always sun out when I got around to it. I ALWAYS rinse poop cds immediately after changing baby before tossing in the diaper pail.... eliminated alot of stains AND the need for soak/pre-rinse. I wash on warm with cold rinse in my toploader using the full amount of purex f&c with zout (not the triple action formula) and haven't had any buildup in almost a year since switching.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors