Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due in March (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=169)
-   -   hospital bag (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1475250)

sterlids 12-27-2012 04:17 AM

hospital bag

so anya's birth plan thread got me thinking about the hospital bag. i honestly don't remember what i took with me the first time except for a robe and clothes for lucian to come home in. what are y'all packing in yours and when are y'all gonna get it ready?

TS8213 12-27-2012 06:45 AM

* Clothes for me (think yoga pants and tank tops) for after the messy first day
* hairbrush
* chapstick
* breast pads
* 1 or 2 outfits for baby
* baby's blanket & hat
* carseat
* camera

I've cut back since having my first 2 babies! No idea yet when I'll pack it. Just playing it by ear based on my MFM appts. With my other 2 I packed around 36-37w.

knodceo 12-27-2012 06:51 AM

Don't forget depends. Not pads but pull on underwear type. They were great!

mommajewels 12-27-2012 06:52 AM

Re: hospital bag

In the past, I've way over packed and didn't touch half the stuff I took. I think I finally got it down last time. I took the bear minimum of things, and as usual, left with way more than I brought. I only stay in the hospital for 24hrs so long as both baby and I are doing well after birth... which has never been an issue in the past. But just in case, I pack for a full 48hr stay since our hospital is an hr drive from home so Dh can't just run & grab whatever I may need.

Clothes for me:
2 pairs of lounge pants
2 shirts
2 bras
A few pairs of underwear. I use their awesome mesh undies in the hospital, but wear my undies over them for extra support.
Socks
Slippers
Comfy outfit to wear home.

Clothes for Dh:
2 Pairs of lounge pants
2 tee shirts
Boxers
Socks
Slippers
Outfit to wear home.

Toiletries for the both of us: (we're not fans of the hospital stuff)
Travel size shampoo, conditioner, soap, and body wash
Tooth brushes, tooth paste, mouth wash, floss
Deoderant
Hair brush and a couple hair bands
Chap Stick. My lips always feel nasty from breathing through contractions.

All PP items are supplied by the hospital. Pads, perineal ice packs, Dermoplast spray, Prep H, tucks pads, mesh undies, etc. Our insurance is great and covers most of the cost of all of it.

Nursing items: Most are supplied by the hospital but I do take my boppy. Breastfeeding in a hospital bed is, IMO, an uncomfortable pain without it. The lactation center loads us down with lansinoh and breast pads before we leave.

For baby:
Baby book
swaddling blanket
2 sleepers for in hospital use
An outfit for pictures
A comfy outfit to wear home
We will use Huggies Swaddlers until she can fit into her OS dipes, and the hospital supplies and sends us home with a ton of those, so we don't bother taking dipes.

Of course my camera and handycam, extra batteries, and chargers.

I think that pretty much sums it up for us.

I usually have everything packed and ready to go by 36 wks.

Maeve Baby 12-27-2012 05:17 PM

My bag is bare minimum because I go there and leave the second they will let me.

Comfy clothes to wear home along with extra socks and unders.
Bathroom items-usually just a tooth brush and tooth paste, face wash and lotion. I am fine with hospital soap for my body.
Camera

Baby-going home outfit, socks, hat, wipes and diapers.

DH packs his own bag-but I doubt he will even bring one given we will just go home right after the birth and if that isn't the plan then he will just drive home and get what he needs and come back-we are only a few minutes drive away.

That's it really:goodvibes:

happymama1 12-27-2012 07:56 PM

I prefer the ugly hospital gown as long as I can stand it...Its pretty darn convenient, and wit a c-section stay, I like to bring home as little laundry as possible. I also use their blankets and baby t-shirts....I think hospitals have icky germ floating around and I'd rather leave as much germ infested items behind :giggle:

I usually pack stadard toiletrees and makeup....clothes for hubby, camera, flip flops, gifts for the older siblings from new baby....and fiber one bars!

For everything else, I try to use as much hopital stuff as possible....it's boring and ugly, but it is functional and practical...so it works. I'd rather save my favorite comfy pants for when I come home :)

Rdesonia 12-27-2012 08:19 PM

One thing I wished I packed with my dd was a hot pad! I had horrible cramps when I breastfed and a heating pad would have been great! DH kept having to microwave wet washcloths, putting them in ziplock bags and wrapping them in towels as that was the "heating pads" at the hospital. After I got home, me and my heating pad were best friends for a few days!

apboyles 12-28-2012 01:31 AM

I didn't have a bag last time because I went into labor sooner than I expected. But with this baby I will definitely be packing one at 36-37 weeks. It sucked because I called DH from L&D at work and he came, then send him home for what I wanted and he didn't bring the right stuff. So this time I'll be sure to pack a bag!

I know for sure I will have a comb/brush because the hospital had NONE!!!! Who doesn't have a comb? But otherwise it's just comfy clothes for me and shoes/slipper to wear when we leave the room (no private bathrooms here on mother/baby), take home outfit for little miss, camera, and probably some of my own toiletries. And pads and underwear. I don't like wearing the gigantic inch thick ones the hospital gives you so I get whichever brand has the ultra thin overnights. So they're long enough for leaks but thin enough I'm not sitting a foot off the bed :)

TS8213 12-28-2012 06:15 AM

Am I the only one who loves the net granny panties the hospital gives you? lol

Christylkeller 12-28-2012 07:49 AM

HAHAHA! I haven't even thought about this yet. I usually over pack, but I would rather have too much than not enough since we live so far away from the hospital. One definite must pack is my own pillow. Those hossie ones are awful and I like have a familiar smell next to my head.

happymama1 12-28-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TS8213 (Post 16085609)

:giggle2: I love those!

mommajewels 12-28-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Nope, I love them too!! I do wear a pair of my personal "granny/laundry day" panties over them for the extra support since I'm usually weighed down with their giant pad, a perineal ice pack, and tucks pads.. lol... but I <3 me some mesh undies! :D

sterlids 12-28-2012 06:31 PM

i used everything the hospital had when i had my son. i'm not sure what all the hospital has here because we're considered a "remote" location. i'm hoping it's all the same stuff and i keep going back and forth on if i want to stay the two days or go home as soon as i can. hubby and i went crazy waiting to leave when lucian was born.

amcess721 12-28-2012 07:03 PM

Is it bad that the first things that came to mind are chapstick and my own pillow? lol!

Mom2lucy 12-30-2012 07:07 PM

i definitely overpacked last time, so i will be scaling down this time. Everything i am bringing has already been said though. :)

NappyChappy 12-30-2012 07:28 PM

DS was a planned homebirth but we had an emergency bag. We had our birthplan, toiletries, a change of clothes for me, and an outfit for baby. So basically the bare minimum.

I do wish I got the freebies hospitals give away to new mothers :giggle:

NutMeg4189 12-30-2012 08:27 PM

I'm bringing a bag for baby, just his diaper bag with what I would normally keep in there and a few outfits that look to be different ranges of sizes. We will just see what fiits best. We kept DD in her little white shirt and a diaper until the last day when we were getting ready to go home.

I'll take all my toiletries, a comfy outfit for lounging in at the hospital, probably the same button up I wore after our daughter honestly. It was super easy to BF in, and a fresh outfit to come home in. I'll have my ipad, iphone, and camera with their chargers so we can share photos with family who can't be in the area and friends who I'm asking to wait to meet baby until he comes home. My ipad will also be nice if my labor is anything like DD's. My water broke and then nothing really happened for about 10 hours. I was mostly walking, but it was nice to sit down and mess around on my laptop occasionally as well. A breastfeeding pillow and some nursing pads just in case. I've already been having leaking issues. I'll just use the pads and other supplies they provide for the most part.

DH will just have to pack his own bag. Because of work and DD we aren't sure how much time he will be spending up there but he'll probably keep a change of clothes and deodorant in the car or something just in case he ends up being able to stay the night. And I will make him pack me snacks :)

I'm also packing a bag for our DD. We haven't finalized plans but I suspect she will stay with my parents while I'm in the hospital. I'll pack everything she needs ahead of time and then add things like her leap pad last minute so she has something to entertain herself with if she decides that her brother is boring when visiting :) We will also have a gift set aside for her from the baby, no idea what yet!

hcokasil 12-31-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amcess721
Is it bad that the first things that came to mind are chapstick and my own pillow? lol!

Me too! I didn't bring either with my first and even though my hospital will give me chapstick if I ask and (obviously) they have pillows, both are horrible! So I learned my lesson with the next ones...we only live a few minutes away, so its not a big deal for the hubs to run home and get what we forgot...unless I want it while i'm in active labor, because then I won't let him leave me!

sorry, i'm really bad at autocorrect and I don't like proof reading!

kimberleenama 01-04-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Yes! These were awesome! My nurse called them "party panties." My hospital also has these AWESOME pads that you cracked (sort of like those sticks that glow when you snap em?) and they got icy--felt awesome and they were larger than pads.

kimberleenama 01-04-2013 04:32 PM

I went to the hospital without a hospital bag last time due to complications, but all I really wanted was my own blanket and pillow, my ipod and chapstick!

This time though, I want to be able to get out of that gown as soon as I can and into comfy clothes with a nursing tank. My hospital didn't have anything in the bathroom for showering--so I'll be bringing my travel pack with soap, shampoo, etc.

I will also be packing baby wipes/face wipes this time--i was immobile in the hospital bed for over 24 hours and felt so disgusting--those would have been a godsend to feel semi-clean!

Cpmama06 01-12-2013 11:18 AM

I always bring the breastfeeding wipes for my babies.

angiepangie8298 02-01-2013 10:48 AM

I was happy to have my own pillow last time around so that will def be coming with them. The Chapstick is something I wouldn't have thought to bring so I'm glad it was mentioned!

Definitely yoga pants but like another mentioned I think I'll be using the hospital gown since I'm having a csection and don't anything putting pressure on my incision.

Breast pads I would have forgotten about! Ill be packing my coconut oil also oh and I'm bringing California baby wash for his first bath also.

amb2j 02-01-2013 10:58 AM

Packed the bag last week when I packed DS's for the "Im having a baby" baby sitter lol. Its pretty minimal since I should be at the birth center for no more than 12 hrs and our house is 20 mins away

1) comfy pjs for me after birth
2) Lots of undies and socks for me
3) snacks/drinks
4) my own few toiletries
5) hair tie
6) chap stick
and...I think thats it

For baby
1) a couple of onesies
2) coming home outfit
3) socks
4) brush
5) cloth diapers/covers/wipes/wetbag

Of course we will have our phones, and I didnt really need/want my own pillows/boppy last time.

The BC will have any other "essentials"

va703 02-01-2013 11:47 AM

I kind of forgot to pack a bag last time and threw things together at the last minute. Maybe I'll get really organized and get it done before I'm in labor this time....

For me, aside from some comfy outfits, slippers, the camera, and toiletries, the only thing I really want is my kindle.

Obviously I'll bring something for baby to wear home, a blanket or two, and the carseat.....

We live close to the hospital, and DH won't be staying overnight (he'll be at home with the older 3) so it's easy to get things I might (definitely) forget.