Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Breastfeeding Advice (bottles) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1578148)

MamaofScotts 03-30-2014 09:16 PM

Breastfeeding Advice (bottles)

I'm looking into being a pretty exclusive pumper and have received 20 bottles from friends (Evenflo and Gerber First Essentials).

Regarding pumping, I've been told the best idea is to use drop in bags. So the real question is...

Which pump is best?
Which storage/drop in bags are best?
Should I continue with these bottles which are nice and cheap?

Thanks dears.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

evasimone 03-30-2014 09:50 PM

Re: Breastfeeding Advice (bottles)

I exclusively pumped for 7 months and finally managed to start successfully nursing my daughter at 7 months old. We are now still nursing at 15 months old! :) so my first piece of advice is don't settle for being an exclusive pumper, keep trying to nurse because as time progresses it gets harder to keep your milk supply up. It may take a while but at some point nursing might happen even if its months down the road. And whatever you do use a preemie nipple on your bottles! I am convinced that is how my DD was still willing to learn to nurse at 7 months because she never got used to super fast flowing milk.

I used an Ameda truly yours double pump and I also rented a hospital grade Medela symphony. Basically a double electric pump from a reputable brand is what you want either Medela or Ameda are good brands.

I never did drop in bags. I mostly pumped and poured directly into the bottles. Personally I think drop in bags are wasteful to the environment. I do use gerber nuk storage bags for when I work. I think they are cost effective and good quality. I've never had them spring a leak in 15 months.

I would keep the bottles as long as they have preemie nipples that you can use with them. Stage one nipples are still pretty fast and will flow way faster than breast milk. If you hope to transition to nursing don't use them. I really can't stress that enough.

Good luck!

essential1892 03-30-2014 09:53 PM

I used the Medela Pump in Style Advanced and liked it- we got it free from my insurance because my first child was having issues latching. I am sure there are other brands that are great too.

I did use drop in bags, they were just store brand ones my mom picked up on clearance- I think they were CVS brand though that was years ago.

As for nipples on bottles, go with whatever your baby likes. My kids were never picky and I breastfed each of them until they were each at least a year old. I went crazy with my first researching the best bottle nipple that would keep him from being nipple confused- it was a total waste of time.

escapethevillage 03-31-2014 08:46 AM

I don't know anything about pumps. But, I do like the Playtex drop in bottles. However, I don't know if there are bags that can be used for pumping, then in the bottles.

When my daycare kids bring the bags for freezing, I just thaw and warm the bag, then pour it into a bottle.

The kids who are both breast feeding and bottle feeding are all using either the Tomee Tipee, or the mOma bottles. One mom brought a bunch of bottles home from Japan called Pigeon, and the mOma nipples fit those bottles. I think it's the same nipple anyway, and that bottle does amazingly well.
http://www.amazon.com/Lansinoh-mOmma...VCEBE9WT8QGZS7

thelilprincess 04-05-2014 09:53 PM

I bought the new Kiinde system which uses bags that you can pump into (one of the sets includes adjusters for different pumps or you can buy the set on it's own) DS isn't born yet so I can't comment on how it works. The bags are pricier than Lansinoh storage bags (which I couldn't easily pump into with DD) but since DH loathed all the parts he had to wash when I used Born Free with DD, I decided the Kiinde bags may be worth it. I'll save time by pumping directly into those bags - those bags attach direct to the bottle/nipple for feeding, and then toss the bag and only have to wash nipple and outer bottle part. Throwing the Kiinde bag is just like me throwing away the Lansinoh bag but I'm paying a little more for the convenience.

TatianaOlenko 05-19-2014 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaofScotts (Post 17324641)
Which pump is best?

Medela pump in style

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaofScotts (Post 17324641)
Should I continue with these bottles which are nice and cheap?

If your baby is happy with them don't try to fix it.

L J 05-19-2014 07:56 AM

I have a Hygeia Q, which is the model that insurance pays for, and I love it. I had a PISA that I couldn't get any milk out with, at all. I just couldn't go back to work, because I couldn't pump. I hated that thing. I did buy it new but this was in 2006 so they may be better now, but I wasn't willing to risk it and went with the Hygeia which I love.

We use the Dr. Browns natural flow bottles and I'm very impressed. I got the glass ones because I figured they would be easier to clean. I bought the $5 Dr. Browns dishwasher basket so the extra parts with these bottles aren't even an area of stress. My 5 week old dd has no problems at all taking these, and she has absolutely no gas issues. I have had two formula feeding moms comment on how amazing it is that she isn't swallowing air when taking a bottle. This is my first experience with bottles, but so far so good.

You can't store milk in the drop in liners so that just seems like one more step and one more added expense. I would just buy better bottles that eliminate most of the air.

I am using NUK breastmilk storage bags and haven't had any leaks when thawing milk. They are cheap, comparatively.

dncegrl 05-19-2014 08:10 AM

I use a medela pump in style advance and think its great. I have also heard great things about ameda too.
I use lansinoh bags to store breastmilk in and pour into a bottle. Once i run out of bags i am going to use a container system(not sure which yet)
For bottles i use tommee tippee or playtex nursers.

MamaChirpy 05-19-2014 08:10 AM

Playtex does make liners/bags that you can pump directly into and store the milk in. I loved them.

dncegrl 05-19-2014 08:12 AM

Oh and there is a kit you can buy that connects to your pump that allows you to pump directly into drop in liners and it comes with lids so you can store your breastmilk right in the drop in liners.