Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What do you do with the poop? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119333)

taximom 03-25-2007 07:50 PM

What do you do with the poop?

I'm trying to convince my DH the cost advantages of CD. He thinks I haven't thought this through. We are on the go in the evenings alot. Ball games and track meets. 6 sports. What do you do with the poopy diapers. If I throw them in a bag it is gross and messy and stinky. Any ideas from the pro's?

beenwaitingalongtime 03-25-2007 08:00 PM

Re: What do you do with the poop?

Well, for starters, what do you do w/ the poop in a sposie? If you're at someone's house or something, or not around a trash can, you wrap it up and put it in a plastic baggie, right? That's what you do w/ cloth. If your DC is old enough to have solid poo (once they've started solid foods--6 months-ish) you can just tip the dipe upside-down and flush the poo. Otherwise, you fold the dipe up and put it in a wetbag (they're lined w/ waterproof PUL which, when zipped holds in all the smells till you get home and either throw the whole thing into a pail, or into the wash.) A good wetbag makes it so nobody will ever know you've got a dirty diaper in your diaper bag.
There's a site around here--I think it has 'diaper' in the title--MAYBE Diaper Decisions that gives you a financial breakdown on the savings of CDs over sposies, including water, electric, etc.
(Anyone know what that link is? I forget.)
Understand, though that you'd need to stay far, far away from here, except to get CD advice. If you open the posts about the latest and greatest (read: cutest and cuddliest) dipe, you will NOT save money. I sure as heck don't :blush: However, come next baby(ies) I won't have to buy anymore diapers because I can use all the ones I use currently on DD (save for some dipes I HAVE to buy because they're too cute ;)

lutgen 03-25-2007 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beenwaitingalongtime (Post 874741)
Understand, though that you'd need to stay far, far away from here, except to get CD advice. If you open the posts about the latest and greatest (read: cutest and cuddliest) dipe, you will NOT save money.

:laugh:

tryin 03-25-2007 08:04 PM

Exactly what the previous poster said. Just put poop into the restroom toilet and place dirty diaper into the wetbag.

Katherine 03-25-2007 08:04 PM

Shake it out into a toilet! If it won't shake, you can always do the dunk & swish method - dunk it in a toilet and swish it around, flush (while holding on!) so what can be sucked off down the toilet is. One thing that really helps us in this area is using fleece liners - they're super cheap and easy to make - just get a yeard or two of fleece at Joanns and cut it into strips to fit as a liner in the dipe, you don't have to hem them 'cause fleece won't unravel. They serve three uses - 1 - keeps baby dry, 2 - keeps diaper from staining, 3 - poo shakes off them much easier.

Honestly, though, even if you can't shake the poo off, it's not so bad. I just have my sitter roll everything (wipes included!) up in the dipe and throw it all in a wetbag. Each evening I take the bag to the bathroom and shake out what needs shook out and pull the stuffins out of the pockets, then throw everything in a pail (or straight into the wash, if it's a wash night).

zaza 03-25-2007 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taximom (Post 874707)
I'm trying to convince my DH the cost advantages of CD. He thinks I haven't thought this through. We are on the go in the evenings alot. Ball games and track meets. 6 sports. What do you do with the poopy diapers. If I throw them in a bag it is gross and messy and stinky. Any ideas from the pro's?

I'm guessing you haven't had your baby yet! I forgot what being on the go in the evenings are like!!! :lostit:

When we are on the go I also store the dirtys in the car rather than in the diaper bag so I'm not lugging around the soiled diapers

taximom 03-25-2007 08:16 PM

Actually I have 8 kids. Three in diapers. if I roll it up like a sposie because i don't have a restroom around I can just throw it in the bag like it is?
Do I wash the bags too?

SahmIam 03-25-2007 08:21 PM

If that's the position you'll be in you can always use flushable liners and the majority of the poop can just be plopped into the toilet and flushed. No swishing req'd. ;)

You wash the wetbags just like your diapers.

angelmorris 03-25-2007 08:22 PM

Yes you wash the bags and FWIW I have 5 kids 2 in diapers and 1 in pull ups at night and its really great.... we were spending 110 a month on diapers and pull ups and wipes and its so great not to have to do that anymore :) Plus I like being able to change them as soon as they wet and not feel like I'm wasting money by having my children totally clean at all times KWIM. I haven't felt like its added to my workload really either... HTH Oh and your going to need a pretty large wetbag for on the go with 3 in dipes ....... I keep a large bag in my diaper bag plus an extra bag in the car to switch with if needed and we're out for awhile :)

L J 03-25-2007 08:26 PM

I still haven't bought a wetbag. I just keep my Wal-Mart bags, I keep a ton of them in the car since I can't ever remember to put them in the diaper bag. When I change him, I put the dipe in a bag, tie it up, and toss it in the diaper bag. When I get home, I rip the bag open and dump directly into my washing machine, or, if its full, into my soak bucket full of hot water. I've never had a problem doing this.