Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   NIP completely exposed??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1466785)

Greenbabybottoms 11-26-2012 07:49 PM

Re: NIP completely exposed???

I nurse in public and never cover but I also never expose both breast (I don't think I ever even expose 1 breast honestly). I have a friend though who does pull her shirt all the way up to nurse her little ones. It makes me uncomfortable (and I'm a LLL leader). She does it because her kids liked to play with the breast opposite of what they were nursing.

sh0rtchica 11-26-2012 07:59 PM

It wouldn't bother me much at all. But I wouldn't do it that way, and I'm not surprised people left. Personally, I hate people looking at my belly fat!

mibarra 11-26-2012 10:14 PM

Didn't read PPs. I fully support NIP. After about 4 months my LO refused a cover. She was absolutely within her rights to nurse. I don't know if it is protected to expose both breasts, since you only need 1 to nurse. To me personally this sounds intentionally inflammatory on her part, which I find unnecessary. While I WILL nurse my children whenever and wherever needed, I just don't understand the shove it in your face mentality of some people, especially when no one's giving you a hard time, KWIM? :)

isabelsmummy 11-27-2012 12:04 AM

Some people just like to be inflammatory and push the envelope.

I've never really understood why people are sooo offended they have to leave though. She's naked (essentially), what's the big deal? Don't look if you don't want to.

Nerissa 11-27-2012 07:26 AM

I have no problems with NIP.

This was just over the top and completely not necessary. I really don't understand the whole in-your-face, I am going to do it no matter waht and the most shocking way possible is going to help people be more comfortable with NIP.

IMO this just reinforces peoples ideas that they dont' like it. This type of attitude and displays are not helping the breastfeeding cause.

The big deal is if the person is sitting in the middle of the restraunt completely exposed it is kinda hard not to look and I don't want to look at it while I am eating.

songbird516 11-27-2012 08:03 AM

In a restaurant, there's just certain standards of conduct. Like, most people wouldn't wear a bathing suit in a restaurant. So why would you expose yourself so much in public? I've nursed at many restaurants, but I'm fairly certain that no one knew what I was doing most of the time. I don't use a cover, but I am discreet. It's people like this women that makes people MORE uncomfortable with breastfeeding than they would be otherwise.

Oh, and I HATED that my first used to play with the other nipple when nursing. Thankfully this one hasn't picked up that habit yet.

Van1300 11-27-2012 10:23 AM

I was just out to dinner last night with my newbie. We were out to eat with some family from out of town in a fairly nice place. I wore a nursing bra, nursing tank, and a big sweater. When I nursed I took of the sweater and unhooked the bra/tank and used a cover. I tried my best to keep the exposure to a minimum but I'm sure someone got a view of some side boob while I was changing positions or re-hooking my clothes.

I am totally ok NIP and wouldn't have used a cover if we had been in a more casual dining establishment or out at the park. I always do my best to keep the other boob tucked away too.

I also nursed yesterday in the parking lot of a clothing store, no cover. My mom felt the need to stand in the doorway of the car next to me, even though I kept asking her to go sit back down in the drivers seat.

PurpleDaffodil 11-27-2012 10:25 AM

I NIP a lot, and dont always use a cover, but I do make sure my top shirt is pulled down to LO's face and try not to let anything show.

My MIL was like that thought, she would expose both breasts and didn't care who she offended, she exposed both breasts because her daughter would nurse on one and twiddle the other in her fingers...

l_Kimmie_l 11-27-2012 11:33 AM

I had a twiddler and it was not allowed in public. I cannot stand to have that done as it is, let alone have other people watch it.

juliasmom 11-27-2012 07:06 PM

Am I the only one who would have a puddle in my lap if I had the other boob out when I let down :giggle: Some people just crave attention I guess...it is certainly not the best way to encourage NIP normalization and acceptance :(