Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   My daughter has a death wish (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1418146)

whitneywalters 07-11-2012 02:51 PM

My daughter has a death wish

Amelia has discovered the stairs. I have been keeping them blocked but she movies anything I put there. I need to find a gate but it hard the way my stairs are built. She has already fallen twice...she is fine but man child stay off the stairs!!

stevensmom 07-11-2012 02:54 PM

Yep need a gate!

We have a swing gate. My sister has one of those mesh retractable ones for her awkward stairs.

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**

Kabuki24 07-11-2012 02:56 PM

Re: My daughter has a death wish

We have really difficult stairs to deal with too.. it totally stinks to the point I want to move!

One solution that we have (although it doesn't work on all stairs) is to buy a gate that can be affixed by using these plastic fasterner thingies.. we had to get this kind of gate because we had to attach to railings that weren't even (hard to explain).

jen_batten 07-11-2012 03:00 PM

Spend a whole day with her going up and down the stairs. It gets some of the fun out of it because she doesn't feel like she's not allowed to do it. Plus, even if she stays super excited about the stairs and wants to do it all the time, you'll have taught her how to go up and down safely and won't have as many falls. She'll have lots of practice under her belt and hopefully by then it won't scare the jimminy cricket out of you. It's a win-win.

whitneywalters 07-11-2012 03:39 PM

She can not walk yet, just crawl. She falls because she tries to turn around.

Gates do not work. We have had several and the kids are always able to get them down. I am going to try one I can fasten but I doubt it will work....darn stairs.

jen_batten 07-11-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitneywalters (Post 15386184)
She can not walk yet, just crawl. She falls because she tries to turn around.

Gates do not work. We have had several and the kids are always able to get them down. I am going to try one I can fasten but I doubt it will work....darn stairs.

:headscratch: You don't have to be able to walk to go up and down stairs. Teach her to scoot down backwards. It sounds like your best option to me since you haven't been able to get the gates to work, that way if she knows how to do it you don't have to worry *quite* as much. And the more you let her practice, the better she will get, and then you won't have to worry at all. :thumbsup:

redrach09 07-11-2012 03:50 PM

We just purchased some mesh material at Lowes and secured it around the bottom of my spiral staircase. Keeps my 15 month old off the stairs.

Almacham 07-11-2012 06:27 PM

My Amelia is drawn to a staircase like a moth to a flame!

EmilytheStrange 07-11-2012 08:16 PM

definitely teach her how. She doesn't need to walk, she can crawl/climb like she's already doing. Just when she tries to turn, tell her 'no no no' and show her how to go down backwards.

nohollyhomaker 07-11-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Spend a whole day with her going up and down the stairs. It gets some of the fun out of it because she doesn't feel like she's not allowed to do it. Plus, even if she stays super excited about the stairs and wants to do it all the time, you'll have taught her how to go up and down safely and won't have as many falls. She'll have lots of practice under her belt and hopefully by then it won't scare the jimminy cricket out of you. It's a win-win.
I agree with this. Most babies are not walking when they discover stairs but they can be taught a safer way to go down them. My youngest took the longest to learn how to safely crawl down things but I just showed them how to get down when they were trying to go down stairs or climb off the bed and they did learn even before they were walking.