Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Newborn Diaper Chatter (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=231)
-   -   Newborn stash questions... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1630548)

Elchorrito 03-02-2018 09:22 AM

Newborn stash questions...

When DS was a newborn, he slept 6 hrs at night almost from the get-go and woke up wet like...daily. Do workhorses cut it for that? I didn't have any then - what I did have was a kawaii pocket that I could stuff extra full and it worked for every other night or so. I have prefolds. I have some simplex. What works for most of a night on a NB? I was thinking maybe fitted, but am I on the wrong track?

Also, if money were no object (it is, don't worry) would you get more than a handful of simplex? Is there a downside to them besides cost? Do they have to be boosted?

MamaLlama 03-02-2018 10:30 AM

Re: Newborn stash questions...

I don't know about workhorses, haven't tried them, but fitteds can be good for night for a NB. Small Sandies were bulky for the first few weeks but plenty absorbent and they fit around the legs and waist, and they are stuffable too. They worked for Faith at night, but she wasn't a heavy wetter. They still fit her now, but only work for us if I stuff them, and I don't like to. So I'm selling them. But they have fit from the beginning, which is pretty good.

I had six simplex, and loved them, but I personally wouldn't get more than a handful unless I found a bunch of them for cheap. They were absorbent enough to use without a doubler for the first couple of months, and they fit great, but you go through diapers SO fast, it's just not worth it to spend that much per diaper (even if money is no object--I'm cheap and couldn't do it anyway). And they're not very much easier or really any better than prefolds in my opinion. We used them for outings and church, and I loved them for that.

Elchorrito 03-02-2018 01:10 PM

Hmm sandies... I had one once and couldn't handle how bulky they are. Maybe I should think about them again. I guess I don't really care about bulk at night anyway.

zeotwoski 03-02-2018 02:31 PM

I think workhorse newborn would cut it, at first anyway. I don't recommend stuffing pockets extra full because they pull the elastic away from the legs and you get leaks. Or just put wool over it if you do. A full size flat or a bigger pre fold should do it.

Elchorrito 03-02-2018 03:36 PM

I have a few bigger prefolds too and some flats. I feel much more experienced and better prepared this time around, so I think I'll be able to figure something out; I'm just trying to decide if I have what I need or if I need to rethink before earth day. I do think I want some work horses if they'll cut it for a while. I'm kind of wanting to switch to all fitteds + wool for night, even on a bigger baby, so a few fitteds for a nb would be a good move as well. I'm not sure I'll do wool on a nb. That poo scares me. Maybe as backup over pul? I have 1 brown-edge workhorse for DS now, so I'm familiar with them, although I read that for the 3-9 mos period they won't hold enough for overnight. I'm not really wanting to get started in the crazy expensive fashion fitteds though.

jen_batten 03-02-2018 04:09 PM

If you have a good fitted wool will be pretty simple on a newborn.

I am not convinced a workhorse would hold overnight. It probably would if you add a doubler, especially if it was hemp or something.

Personally I wouldn't get simplex because I'm scared of the aio wash routine but that fear is probably unfounded.

I know being prepared is great, but just a reminder that all kids are different. This one might wake every hour or be a light wetter, or who knows?

MamaLlama 03-02-2018 04:17 PM

I washed my aios the same as I washed everything else, and dried on low. Maybe not the right way to do it, but for newborn diapers they only wear them for such a short time it didn't seem to make a difference. Simplex dry faster than other aios too.

jen_batten 03-02-2018 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaLlama (Post 17789995)
I washed my aios the same as I washed everything else, and dried on low. Maybe not the right way to do it, but for newborn diapers they only wear them for such a short time it didn't seem to make a difference. Simplex dry faster than other aios too.

I think some of the newer aios with the flaps and stuff would be tons easier to wash than older styles. So it probably isn't nearly as big a factor as it used to be.

Elchorrito 03-02-2018 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen_batten (Post 17789992)
If you have a good fitted wool will be pretty simple on a newborn.

I am not convinced a workhorse would hold overnight. It probably would if you add a doubler, especially if it was hemp or something.

Personally I wouldn't get simplex because I'm scared of the aio wash routine but that fear is probably unfounded.

I know being prepared is great, but just a reminder that all kids are different. This one might wake every hour or be a light wetter, or who knows?

<Sigh> dream crusher. This baby is gonna be a SLEEPER. But you are right, of course. The other thing we suffered last time is that the 6 hr stretch wasn't always predictable. We'd use the one diaper that worked, he'd wake in 2 hrs to eat, and THEN sleep a long stretch when the good diaper was already wet. So...I have no idea how to prepare.

I also wondered about workhorse for that reason. They seem only a little thicker than a prefold and would be great for regular day changes, but I'm not sure about longer stretches. What would be a good fitteds for wool, then?

MamaChirpy 03-02-2018 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen_batten (Post 17789996)
I think some of the newer aios with the flaps and stuff would be tons easier to wash than older styles. So it probably isn't nearly as big a factor as it used to be.

Simplex do wash really well. And dry amazingly fast. They are easy is why I put up with that extra poof. [emoji12]
Y'all know I hate poofy.