Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Well my IBCLC was wrong so far... anyone had this situation? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=860752)

MacMama 10-24-2009 10:37 AM

Well my IBCLC was wrong so far... anyone had this situation?

So I have a really low supply-- DS was only getting less than an ounce after 30 minutes of nursing. He gained weight really slowly in the first 2 weeks, then leveled off, then started losing. At 2 1/2 weeks my IBCLC said I needed to start supplementing him with formula ( I wasn't able to pump much). Apparently he needed to be nursing all day long to maintain my very meager supply, because once he started getting some formula my milk went down to almost nothing.

Anyway, I thought about quitting all together because between bottle feeding and pumping her recommended 8-12X a day it was just too much for me. He wanted nothing to do with my boobs (except as a pacifier) because I had almost nothing coming out. I decided that I would try to pump enough for a couple of BM bottles a day to help with his immunity, but that 4-5X a day of pumping was all I could handle. My IBCLC said that my breasts had to be stimulated much more than that or I would dry up. Well so far that hasn't been true. Pumping 5X a day (double pumping for 30 min.) got me about 4 oz a week ago, and now I can get about 8 oz. Is this destined to go away because I'm only pumping 5X a day and not at all at night? I'm really hoping to keep this going throughout the cold and flu season at least to help protect my baby. Has anyone else with a low supply been able to pump enough to supplement for an extended period of time? TIA:goodvibes:

smokeyswife 10-24-2009 12:12 PM

Re: Well my IBCLC was wrong so far... anyone had this situation?

My situation is a little different, I have induced a milk supply for an anticipated adoption....but I can tell you that since July I have been pumping, and mostly about 4x a day, and I do not pump at night. I routinely get about 10 ounces a day total. My supply is touchy though, if I am under stress, or I miss a pumping session, it takes me a couple of days to get it back up to 10 ounces.

MacMama 10-26-2009 02:35 PM

That's so good to know! I'm still increasing a tiny bit every day... now enough to give him 3 bottles a day (so about 9-10 oz) Pumping 5 times is really stressful while trying to do everything else and being a mommy to the baby and my girls, but at least for now I'll keep at it. If I can increase my supply to 3 oz each time I pump then I can just go back to nursing him 5X a day...that would be SO much easier! :goodvibes:

ladybug6 11-03-2009 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacMama (Post 8738730)
That's so good to know! I'm still increasing a tiny bit every day... now enough to give him 3 bottles a day (so about 9-10 oz) Pumping 5 times is really stressful while trying to do everything else and being a mommy to the baby and my girls, but at least for now I'll keep at it. If I can increase my supply to 3 oz each time I pump then I can just go back to nursing him 5X a day...that would be SO much easier! :goodvibes:

Just remember that a baby is much better at getting the milk out then the pump, so if you are getting 3 oz out at a pumping session, your baby might be able to get 4 1/2 or 5oz out nursing!

Good luck!

veveland 11-09-2009 12:48 PM

My LC told me when DS was born that MOST women can only get 75-80% of the milk out with a pump. The body was designed for a baby, not a machine, to get the milk! In fact, I had low supply with DS and she had me do a before/after weigh-in with him on a very sensitive baby scale. I had normally been able to pump 1-2oz per session, but when I nursed him and she did the weight check, he had eaten almost 4 oz!! It sounds like you're doing great mama-keep up the good work!