Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   wool lovers...I've got questions (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1338449)

jacandy 01-16-2012 08:23 PM

wool lovers...I've got questions

I'm having no issue buying for my almost 18mo but when it comes to newbie in april I have no idea. I think because I don't have an actual baby here to measure. I'm in ohio so we start to get warm (capri/shorts) weather around may and if we're lucky at the end of April. I'm slowly finding some knits that I like but really love interlock and the sbish longies I just got. What do I buy for the newbie? I am clueless!

Beccimae 01-16-2012 08:52 PM

Re: wool lovers...I've got questions

I used and LOVED one little Disana brown soaker for my August baby. I also tried Loveybums crepe wraps, Kissa Wool Lovers and a few longies. I purchased NB size scrappies from a Mama on here and absolutely feel in love with longies. I have amassed quite a few now that my LO is bigger and I have no idea how many we really have. My vote is for the Disana (I would go with brown personally). They are just so soft and work so well. My daughter would sleep in her little wool "pants" for hours on in. The hospital staff thought they were the most adorable thing. And the umbilical stump did not have any problem healing!

jacandy 01-17-2012 05:36 AM

I'm glad you suggested Disana! I've been wanting to try for my oldest too:)

beegee9 01-17-2012 08:43 AM

Hey, just had to post-- I also have an 18 month old and am expecting in April! Funny!

I have NOTHING for covers yet for the newbie. I've been building my stash with dipes but ignored the covers issue entirely. When I realized this (last week, haha) I bought two old man sweaters from Goodwill and am going to try to make a few newbie-sized covers out of it. I've never sewn wool in my life, but recently practiced my craptastic sewing skills out by making 2 fleece soakers for my DD. They turned out alright, so that's what gave me the confidence to buy some old sweaters to hack up. I'm pretty sure they're going to look awful but hopefully function well. I imagine sewing tiny little nb soakers is way harder than large stuff for older babies.

I'd love to stock up on store-bought or (even better, IMO) handmade/Etsy-bought covers, but I really just don't want to spend any more money!

My question is-- do people prefer soakers (pull up style) or snap-style covers for newborns?

I do have 2 small Sugarpeas wool covers that are super thin and look pretty small... wondering if they might be small enough for nb stage.

qsefthuko 01-17-2012 08:54 AM

I prefer the soaker style. To me they were more gentle around the waist and cord. I have heard many prefer the wrap style because of explosive nb poo. I remember just rolling the cover down instead of pulling them down so the poo didn't get all over the legs. At the time I hadn't heard of jelly rolling the legs to help contain the poo so we did get poo on the covers pretty regular.

beegee9 01-17-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qsefthuko (Post 14469488)
I prefer the soaker style. To me they were more gentle around the waist and cord. I have heard many prefer the wrap style because of explosive nb poo. I remember just rolling the cover down instead of pulling them down so the poo didn't get all over the legs. At the time I hadn't heard of jelly rolling the legs to help contain the poo so we did get poo on the covers pretty regular.

Oh my goodness, I hadn't thought about any of this until right now! Thanks for your post! Removing a soaker full of nb poop, I honestly didn't even think of it... but then the gentle waist for the cord-- I also hadn't thought of this either! WHERE IS MY BRAIN???

That's some good food for thought!

jacandy 01-17-2012 10:29 AM

I'm excited to have two close together because my oldest is 6 but then I'm nervous about the whole jealousy thing!
Where is the best place to buy Disana?

jacandy 01-17-2012 10:30 AM

Also anyone ordered from anged.de/shop/?
I just got sbish longies from there!

MomBecks 01-17-2012 11:14 AM

I've got them and so does GMD and Organic Little Feet to name a few!

thtr4me 01-17-2012 11:52 AM

I used Luxe soakers (interlock) and Disana when my DS2 was a newbie.

I have bought Disana from Abby's Lane before (she had the size I needed where GMD did not).