Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Vitamin D drops (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1621966)

KrystleO_1027 03-22-2016 06:34 PM

Vitamin D drops

Did you give to your LO? What kind? Why or why not?

I remember with my son (7) the drops smelled so horrible. I think he got them a handful of times but that's it.

DD is a week old and doctor said i should start them. Are there better ones, more natural then the poly vi sol ones at the stores?

kushie tushie 03-22-2016 06:47 PM

Re: Vitamin D drops

Did your Ped say why he wanted your newborn to have them?

Mother's milk has more than enough vitamin d for baby in more cases. It is not necessary... another thing people are trying to mess with nature on. Premies do need extra vitamins, as they had less time in utero to build up a reserve.

Do your own research though. That way you can be comfortable with your decision.

belindacampbell 03-22-2016 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We use vitamin d in olive oil. One drop and no distinctive smell or flavor. Get them at whole foods or other stores.

Attachment 183613

<_CFXNotificationTokenRegistration: 0x6313a0>

KrystleO_1027 03-22-2016 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kushie tushie
Did your Ped say why he wanted your newborn to have them? Mother's milk has more than enough vitamin d for baby in more cases. It is not necessary... another thing people are trying to mess with nature on. Premies do need extra vitamins, as they had less time in utero to build up a reserve. Do your own research though. That way you can be comfortable with your decision.

Nope. Just that breastfed babies need vitamin d. I do need to do some research, but feel like it's sounding unnecessary.

JoyRenee 03-22-2016 11:22 PM

We never did. Unless your child is showing some deficiency I wouldn't personally bother. But in just a stranger on the Internet. I'd seek some opinions of another doctor, a lactation consultant, etc. if you're unsure.

iamregina 03-29-2016 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kushie tushie (Post 17706947)
Did your Ped say why he wanted your newborn to have them?

Mother's milk has more than enough vitamin d for baby in more cases. It is not necessary... another thing people are trying to mess with nature on. Premies do need extra vitamins, as they had less time in utero to build up a reserve.

Do your own research though. That way you can be comfortable with your decision.

Right!;)

Michelle0818 06-28-2016 10:20 AM

We do, since enough Vitamin D doesn't pass through breastmilk. We use Baby D Drops...found on Amazon and now it's even in our grocery stores. We do one drop a day, usually on the nipple while feeding or on a pacifier. Easy peasy and I don't feel it's something that's going to hurt my little guy. I supplemented myself for a while prior to getting pregnant with my daughter.

Spunkify 06-28-2016 05:58 PM

Never have and it's never been an issue. Breastfed babies DO get vitamin D from breastmilk,. The doctors are just not able to measure the amount of vitamin D a breastfed baby is consuming so they tell mothers to supplement to make sure they're getting enough to prevent Rickets. Babies are able to synthesize vitamin D through sun, like adults, so unless you live in an area where there is no sun I wouldn't worry about supplementing your exclusively breastfed baby.

Favy13 06-30-2016 11:54 PM

I was told to use Vitamin D drops after baby turned one because I was still EBF. So I did the drops for a while.

qsefthuko 07-01-2016 04:20 AM

Nope, never did and no rickets among my children. My mother ebf'd 6 of her 7 children. No drops, no rickets. My guess is these days with the paranoia concerning skin cancer babies are often sun restricted. This on top of the fact formula is often higher in many vitamins leaves doctors thinking breast milk is deficient. But, remember, breast milk is much more easily absorbed than formula so they don't need the high concentration of vitamins found in the less effectively digested formula.