Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Request for Prayer / Updates (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=193)
-   -   Need a few prayers please (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1550093)

Southern mama to Boogie 10-08-2013 10:11 AM

Need a few prayers please

We're going to the pediatrician today to get a referral for an infant neurologist to get an EEG done.

Thursday while I was nursing him, he did something really weird. I'm not even sure how to describe it. He was half asleep, then started shaking kind of. More than a shiver but not quite a seizure. More of a constant repetitive twitch. It lasted about 10-15 seconds, and he came out of it when I put him down. It happened again Sunday night and this time my husband saw it and said it looked like he was convulsing. DS stopped when DH put a hand on his head.

Since it was the 2nd time it happened, I called the on call pedi and they said to take him to the ER. ER doc checked everything she could think of- vitals were good, temp was normal, lymph nodes & tummy felt fine. His eyes didn't roll back when it happened, he didn't stiffen, and he didn't poop or pee right after, so she said it's highly unlikely that it was a seizure. But she also said that it is still concerning so she recommends seeing a neurologist for an EEG.

As a first time mom, this is so scary. I just want my baby to be okay. But these little episodes make me want to cry and I want them to stop, so I have to do this.

A few prayers and happy thoughts would be appreciated today :(

leyash 10-08-2013 10:14 AM

Re: Need a few prayers please

I am NOT trying to make light of this, so PLEASE do not think that.

But is it possible that he was falling to sleep, and was dreaming?

My DS did this in the newborn to 4mo stage. His eyes would be halfway open, he would twitch in different areas slightly, his tongue would thrust, etc. But as soon as we'd stimulate him, he'd stop, or wake up. It was weird, but that's what it was. Dreaming...

Will be praying for favorable results.

Southern mama to Boogie 10-08-2013 10:17 AM

Oh no, I completely understand. It scared me the first time but I dismissed it as me just being paranoid, but it freaked out DH the second time, and he's always the calm one.

It's not just a normal twitch. It's very repetitive, rhythmic back and forth of his head and shoulders. :/

leyash 10-08-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southern mama to Boogie (Post 16967993)
Oh no, I completely understand. It scared me the first time but I dismissed it as me just being paranoid, but it freaked out DH the second time, and he's always the calm one.

It's not just a normal twitch. It's very repetitive, rhythmic back and forth of his head and shoulders. :/

Hmmm. Well, the GOOD news is, you're 99% sure it's not seizures, which is excellent.

My DS3 has dealt with tics (not seizures) twice in his life now, but does not have epilepsy or anything. Remember, there are TONS of things this could be. It does not always have to be something life altering, or life threatening. Keep that in the back of your mind, and keep us updated!

Prayers & hugs, mama.

MDever 10-08-2013 11:09 AM

That is scary:hugs: Our baby #6 has had a few weird things like that. The doctor said it is just a product of his immature neurological system. Hopefully yours is something very simple like that too.

Southern mama to Boogie 10-08-2013 03:15 PM

Just got back from the dr's office and she said it could be something as simple as muscle spasms, or it could be infantile spasms which are similar to a seizure. She said we'll get a call from the neurologist by the end of next week to set up an evaluation + EEG. In the meantime, I'm just praying this doesn't continue to happen every few days :(

Sarah-B 10-08-2013 03:36 PM

Hugs and prayers mama

How scary

shortcake2386 10-08-2013 04:27 PM

dd3 did this. she is 15 months and she still does a little shiver thing occasionally....we had her on seizure meds from 12 weeks - 12 months but she wasnt meeting milestones. wasnt pulling up, walking/crawling. she could sit if you put her sitting but that was it:/ 3 days after stopping the meds she was walking, climbing stairs, blowing kisses, waving...if they were more often than once or twice a month or more than just a shiver, we would medicate again but since they are super mild and she is fine afterwards we are not doing meds currently. fwiw her eeg and testing all came back fine we still need to do genetic testing but thats the end of the road.

Bellaroo 10-09-2013 06:03 PM

:hugs:

We've been down this path and I know how scary it is. Just know that, if needed, there are treatments and that they can work very well. Our son has a great life with no seizures and no side effects from his medication.

sojomisa 10-09-2013 08:24 PM

I hope you get answers soon! :hugs: