Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Snacks for Kindergartin (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464521)

L2S2C 06-22-2008 06:37 PM

Snacks for Kindergartin

I am new at this. My 5 year old starts in Aug. and during orientation they teacher said to send them with a daily snack and that its always ok to bring more to share. Does that mean the teacher is saying its ok to bring donations of snacks? She mentioned something VERY briefly about that way children who are unable to bring snack every day could share so that everyone would have a snack or if you forgot to send snack that day your child would have something as well.

They didn't specify what snack should be though, something at simple as a juice box and crackers?

jmbisignano 06-22-2008 07:20 PM

Re: Snacks for Kindergartin

As a former kindergarten teacher, I always felt the simpler, the better! Pack a small bottled water or a juice box with crackers or some pre-cut fruit - think finger foods and not messy :) As a mom of a recent kindergarten graduate (hehe), we usually packed a bottled water (we washed and reused the bottles) and goldfish, crackers, or something similar. On Fridays, I'd usually pack something sweet like fruit leather or (on extra special days, hehe) a 100-calorie pack of oreo crackers or animal crackers.

As far as sharing, sounds like the teacher was slightly ambiguous. At the school where I taught, we accepted donations in the forms of a pack of juice boxes or a box of graham crackers for kids who forgot their snack one day or who couldn't afford to pack one daily. The kids also brought special snacks in for their birthdays, holidays, or just fun treat for the class every so often.

normajean 06-22-2008 07:50 PM

Our school did not allow drinks , only food. I would check about that.

We did many little snack packs for my daughter- the Nekot cookie/crackers, the cheese with peanut butter ones, popcorn, mini-donuts, pinwheels ( huge favorite), mini-packs of peanuts, doritos, corn chips, pirates booty...

My daughter's snack was kept room tempature, so I was never able to pack yougart, cheese sticks, apples,etc.

HTH

crystalanne79 06-22-2008 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by normajean (Post 3944316)
Our school did not allow drinks , only food. I would check about that.

We did many little snack packs for my daughter- the Nekot cookie/crackers, the cheese with peanut butter ones, popcorn, mini-donuts, pinwheels ( huge favorite), mini-packs of peanuts, doritos, corn chips, pirates booty...

My daughter's snack was kept room tempature, so I was never able to pack yougart, cheese sticks, apples,etc.

HTH

Our schools do NOT allow any form of nuts so peanuts/peanut butter is a huge no-no. I think you should call for clarification just to be sure.

foodie.yarnie.mommie. 06-22-2008 09:46 PM

We had to pack a snack, drink included, everyday. We usually packed a small bottle of water, sometimes a juice box and then the following options

-pre-cut fruit or veggies
-cheese stick/cubes
-small yogurt
-cheddar bunnies/goldfish
-dry cereal, cheerios, kix, peanut butter bumpers
-homemade mini-muffins