Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Cloth wipe fabrics? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1158474)

redshoe95 02-12-2011 09:45 AM

Cloth wipe fabrics?

Alright if I am going to make or buy wipes which fabrics are the best. I was planning on using flannel for one layer and then was wondering what was best for the second. I thought about flannel and micro fleece, or flannel and obv, or flannel and terry. If you have any other suggestions. I hav't decided yet if I am going to buy them or buy a much of fabric on fabric.com and mail it to my sister...she has a serger.

bolstamomma 02-12-2011 10:11 AM

Re: Cloth wipe fabrics?

I thought about making my own but then the I found Quilters Nappies (A WAHM) and realized that it would be easier and cheaper and faster (who has time for this with a job and kids!) to just buy them. You've got the cost of the fabrics, then gas or shipping, then your time, or in your case more shipping b/c sending it to sister... It just made more sense.
Quilters Nappies Flannel/Sherpa wipes are THE BEST!! They come in lots of prints (which she changes to keep things fresh), regular and travel size. I LOVE them and obviously highly recommend. :thumbsup:

texasmama47 02-12-2011 10:59 AM

I have some flannel ones and they're nice; the more I wash them, the softer they get.

isabelsmummy 02-12-2011 01:35 PM

I have some flannel ones that are flannel both sides and others that are flannel and tshirt fabric. Both work well. I used a $3 flannel sheet from the thrift store and a stack of old tshirts from friends for most of them.

Greenlily 02-12-2011 01:40 PM

We use baby wash cloths and they work perfectly.

Greenlily 02-12-2011 01:42 PM

We had some serged flannel cloth wipes. They were great and all, but the serging came out within 6 months and now they're a mess. The baby wash cloths from Walmart are still going strong.

redshoe95 02-12-2011 02:08 PM

I had some plain white diaper flannel that I made into wipes but I don't have a serger and I just zigzaged around them...it didn't work very well they are really stringy and a mess. They also seam stiff and almost scratchy. I only used one layer...think maybe two would be better. I struggle to use cloth wipes and really want to now but my wipes just seem icky...I thought that if I had some cute soft ones that seemed like a luxury maybe I would feel pampered using them instead of like I was just making do. You know?

KimA 02-12-2011 03:06 PM

I like the flannel and sherpa combo or the flannel and OBV combo.
I have a serger for my business use and it's so much easier to make wipes that way!