Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   C Section Births (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   So freaked out! Any reassurance? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1553672)

MothyrGrimm 10-26-2013 09:58 AM

So I'm 90% sure I'm going to schedule a planned c section. Baby is great, but when I had DS I ended up pushing for a long time and now have pretty bad rectal and bladder prolapses. I have to be careful going #2 let alone pushing out a baby. I really do NOT see how I can naturally birth baby without birthing my insides as well, and I can't bare the thought of having my girl parts, bladder, and rectum surgically reconstructed. But I'm just so freaked out I'm going to like bleed to death on the table. My first birth was just fine - had and epi that worked great, no bp problems, no bleeding problems, ds wasn't stressed or anything... I feel like I'm a good candidate for everything going as planned, but I'm so paranoid!! I keep telling myself tons of people get c sections every day, and several of my friends... But dang do I fixate on it. I feel like I'm not getting the happy exciting pregnancy because I'm so wrapped up with c section and my vagina paranoia.

megenic 10-26-2013 12:32 PM

Well, I've only had c sections so I can't compare the two but here's my experience.

I had a long labor with DD1 that ended in an emergency section. With DD2 I opted for a repeat section. Not a popular choice on here I know, but I don't regret it.

I had awesome recoveries with both. I went home after 48 hours. Of course there was some pain after the surgeries but it wasn't unmanageable. The surgeries themselves were fine. DD2s was better because I had planned it, went it at 9 am after a good nights sleep and was in recovery by 10:30. I had no issues with nursing.

I know there are people who have very difficult c sections but there are also people who have complications from vaginal births too. If you're making this decision based on risks to your own health I think it's the best decision for you. Try not to fear the surgery...it is a little freaky but once you get in there all you're thinking about is meeting your baby.

ms_mcnann 10-26-2013 12:37 PM

Re: So freaked out! Any reassurance?
 
In your case I think a c-section is the way to go. Having said that I don't think you are going to be able to avoid getting the prolapse issues repaired either. Have you thought about having them repair them while you are already in surgery having your baby. Recovery will be harder but you won't have to go in and have surgery again in a few years. :2cents:

MothyrGrimm 10-26-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by this_mel_rocks (Post 17014371)
In your case I think a c-section is the way to go. Having said that I don't think you are going to be able to avoid getting the prolapse issues repaired either. Have you thought about having them repair them while you are already in surgery having your baby. Recovery will be harder but you won't have to go in and have surgery again in a few years. :2cents:

Well prolapse isn't necessarily fixable, but it's manageable with physical therapy and correct posture. Posture is HUGE with prolapse problems. But prolapse repairs are horribly known to fail and require subsequent surgeries throughout your life. There's even warnings all over tv for it, vaginal mesh, bladder slings, pelvic slings, etc. it's not uncommon for them to deteriorate and actually cause sexual dysfunction and constant pain.... I've done tons of research and it's super scary. Instead of our society being proactive against prolapse, we just cut and fix things as they fall out - not fix the actual cause. :/ Europe I believe is very knowledged and proactive since nearly 80% of women will have prolapse issues now days.

MothyrGrimm 10-26-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megenic (Post 17014361)
Well, I've only had c sections so I can't compare the two but here's my experience.

I had a long labor with DD1 that ended in an emergency section. With DD2 I opted for a repeat section. Not a popular choice on here I know, but I don't regret it.

I had awesome recoveries with both. I went home after 48 hours. Of course there was some pain after the surgeries but it wasn't unmanageable. The surgeries themselves were fine. DD2s was better because I had planned it, went it at 9 am after a good nights sleep and was in recovery by 10:30. I had no issues with nursing.

I know there are people who have very difficult c sections but there are also people who have complications from vaginal births too. If you're making this decision based on risks to your own health I think it's the best decision for you. Try not to fear the surgery...it is a little freaky but once you get in there all you're thinking about is meeting your baby.

That's what I'm hoping. And that the epi meds will help me relax and not flip out. They helped me relax a lot when I was having ds. It sounds crazy, but I wish I would have had a c section with ds when they suggested it. He got stuck JUST like his daddy did. (his mom had to have a c section)

qsefthuko 10-26-2013 07:12 PM

Re: So freaked out! Any reassurance?
 
The risk factors for C-sections is very low. It is even lower for planned C-sections. I have had 3. The only complications I have had are those that are because of my body's way of healing. My body likes to produce excessive amounts of scar tissue. So now I have semi permanent, almost worry free birth control.

Palooka 10-26-2013 07:12 PM

Re: So freaked out! Any reassurance?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by this_mel_rocks (Post 17014371)
In your case I think a c-section is the way to go. Having said that I don't think you are going to be able to avoid getting the prolapse issues repaired either. Have you thought about having them repair them while you are already in surgery having your baby. Recovery will be harder but you won't have to go in and have surgery again in a few years. :2cents:

What she said. I am very pro-vaginal birth. I really really would not want a c-section unless there was an incredibly good reason. But yours sounds like an incredibly good reason to me. What does your OB or midwife say? If he or she agreed I would schedule now and try to be super positive about it and get happy about being pregnant since you don't have to worry about prolapse now!

MothyrGrimm 10-26-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qsefthuko (Post 17015089)
The risk factors for C-sections is very low. It is even lower for planned C-sections. I have had 3. The only complications I have had are those that are because of my body's way of healing. My body likes to produce excessive amounts of scar tissue. So now I have semi permanent, almost worry free birth control.

That's reassuring, I did read the other 4+ c sections post which made me feel a lot better. I think it's just the unknown I'm scared of. I've never had a surgery, wisdom teeth removed, or broken bone even, just my few stitches from having ds. I did have gallstones though and everyone said that pain is far worse. Lol

MothyrGrimm 10-26-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palooka (Post 17015090)

What she said. I am very pro-vaginal birth. I really really would not want a c-section unless there was an incredibly good reason. But yours sounds like an incredibly good reason to me. What does your OB or midwife say? If he or she agreed I would schedule now and try to be super positive about it and get happy about being pregnant since you don't have to worry about prolapse now!

I'm with a mw right now. They don't have too much experience with existing prolapses (so many women have prolapse and don't know it) and birth. So they aren't able to weigh in too much, but they mentioned they had one woman before and hers didn't get much worse. Although they said they would probably have to keep their hand kind of in me and push my uterus back to keep it from coming out... bladder prolapses tend to drag your uterus down too. We are actually moving currently and I'm switching to a new OB once I get there, I didn't feel the need to switch before our move to just switch again later. In the very very beginning I did see an OB a couple times and they recommended c section especially if baby was over 8 or 9 pounds. My ds was 8lbs 4oz.

Palooka 10-26-2013 07:51 PM

Re: So freaked out! Any reassurance?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MothyrGrimm (Post 17015125)
That's reassuring, I did read the other 4+ c sections post which made me feel a lot better. I think it's just the unknown I'm scared of. I've never had a surgery, wisdom teeth removed, or broken bone even, just my few stitches from having ds. I did have gallstones though and everyone said that pain is far worse. Lol

I know several women who have had multiple C-sections. The healing process sounds a little longer, but it sounds like you had to do a lot of healing from your vaginal birth too, so it might just be different but not worse. My friend had a C-section with her twins and she said the during was painless, she was wide awake, and she was hilariously drunk on the pain meds. She was cracking jokes with the doctors and nurses about if they could see what she ate that morning, and when they showed her a baby she was like "Eeew it's gross put it back! Kidding, I LOVE HIM SO MUCH!!!" Her husband said it was the funniest thing ever.
:hugs:
Talk to moms who have had c-sections, because it isn't all horror stories, especially the moms who planned it or weren't totally surprised about needing it.

ETA:
Quote:

Originally Posted by MothyrGrimm (Post 17015146)
I'm with a mw right now. They don't have too much experience with existing prolapses (so many women have prolapse and don't know it) and birth. So they aren't able to weigh in too much, but they mentioned they had one woman before and hers didn't get much worse. Although they said they would probably have to keep their hand kind of in me and push my uterus back to keep it from coming out... We are actually moving currently and I'm switching to a new OB once I get there, I didn't feel the need to switch before our move to just switch again later. In the very very beginning I did see an OB a couple times and they recommended c section especially if baby was over 8 or 9 pounds. My ds was 8lbs 4oz.

Wow. Ick. the idea of someone having to stick their hand up to shove my uterus around... I guess where there is a will, right? ;) Get yourself a good OB, one with a solid reputation, check on google and yelp, and then let him or her help you feel comfortable with whatever you decide.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors