Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   breast feeding and pregnant? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1539223)

Meistermama 08-15-2013 03:33 PM

breast feeding and pregnant?

I'm 6 weeks along and my lo is 13m bfing morning and night only. Should I wean him? Any mom's with experience?

Yarnjess 08-15-2013 04:08 PM

Re: breast feeding and pregnant?

There's no specific reason you need to wean him. Many moms find it uncomfortable to nurse at a certain point and decide to wean because of that and/or their milk dries up later in the pregnancy and their older nursling self weans. Others nurse their whole pregnancy and then tandem nurse when the new baby comes. It's up to you and what you feel comfortable with. Congratulations on the new baby!

Meistermama 08-15-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yarnjess (Post 16839267)
There's no specific reason you need to wean him. Many moms find it uncomfortable to nurse at a certain point and decide to wean because of that and/or their milk dries up later in the pregnancy and their older nursling self weans. Others nurse their whole pregnancy and then tandem nurse when the new baby comes. It's up to you and what you feel comfortable with. Congratulations on the new baby!

Thank you! I haven't been uncomfortable, but I wasn't sure if it was Ok to continue or not....

indigosmama 08-15-2013 09:56 PM

Totally ok to continue! Your body or your kiddo will let you know if it's time to stop. I wish I could have kept going with my DS...we had to stop when I was about 25 wks pregnant, and DS was around 22 mo old. It got suuuuper uncomfortable for me, and I think my milk was drying up because DS suddenly started nursing differently--more painfully, to be more specific. It was a very sad day for us when I finally told him he couldn't nurse anymore. :( he still talks about it sometimes, and I am wondering how he will react when his lil sibling gets here and starts nursing...

I say keep it up as long as you can, and as long as you both are feeling fine with it! :)

Yarnjess 08-15-2013 10:52 PM

There's a book called Adventures in Tandem Nursing. You might find it helpful. If you have a LLL group that meets near you they would likely have info and be able to offer support.

l_Kimmie_l 08-16-2013 08:13 AM

THere is no reason to wean him. I breast fed DS2 for 6 months after I found out I was pregnant. I dried up when he turned a year.

Teexie 08-17-2013 06:16 AM

Congrats on the pregnancy! I agree with everyone else. I'm 16 weeks pregnant and nursing my 28-month-old a couple times a day. I have cut back on the nursing sessions quite a bit based on my body's cues but am continuing to nurse a bit for the time being. Do what feels right to you :)

rae0701 08-17-2013 09:29 AM

I don't have personal experience, but my cousin got pregnant with #2 when her DD was 8 months old. She breastfed throughout her pregnancy with zero issues. Now her girls are 3 months/20 months and still breast fed. Best of luck to you!

keen1981 08-17-2013 09:34 AM

Do whatever you want. I weaned my guy when I was 13 weeks. I was drying up and it hurt like no other!!!

chandni3 08-17-2013 10:04 AM

I got pregnant when my daughter was 9 months old. I continued to breastfeed even though I had bad morning sickness. I did cut back the number of times I was feeding her. Eventually I started drying up and she started biting. I weaned her of her last feed which was just before bed at just after a year old.