Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In Aug (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Hello everyone.. need advice! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1513905)

Marelle481 05-02-2013 08:27 PM

Hello everyone.. need advice!
 
Hi all. Well it's been awhile since I've been on here. I had an old account but deleted that email and lost my password here. I'm bummed because I had like 1000 posts! Anyway that child that I cloth diapered is now 7 so I guess you can imagine why I haven't been on here in so long. Well I have another baby who is 1 but chose not to cloth diaper him because honestly I was in school and really hated stuffing diapers all the time. But now I'm due again in August and since I will have two in diapers I figure I might as well cloth diaper them again.

For those of you who are still in the cloth diapering game from other children. What can you recommend to me that is the easiest diaper to use (really don't want pockets). I'd love it if I could just wash and dry and be done. No leaks, or smells (I don't have chunky monkeys.. my babies have all been super skinny). Also... I don't want anything bulky. Please advice.

3 ladybugs 05-03-2013 06:24 AM

Re: Hello everyone.. need advice!
 
Are you wanting an easy all in one (with no need for a cover?) or are you wanting something that you would use a cover with? What is your budget? Do you want sized or one size? Do your children tend to be super wetters, or normal? Do you want diapers for your 1 year old and your newbie or just the newbie? Do you have anything left over from your older child? Oh and do you like velcro or snaps?

KatieB621 05-03-2013 07:29 AM

Re: Hello everyone.. need advice!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs (Post 16558485)
Are you wanting an easy all in one (with no need for a cover?) or are you wanting something that you would use a cover with? What is your budget? Do you want sized or one size? Do your children tend to be super wetters, or normal? Do you want diapers for your 1 year old and your newbie or just the newbie? Do you have anything left over from your older child? Oh and do you like velcro or snaps?

:yeahthat:

There is a lot to consider. :giggle: Sounds like PF with covers or AIO's might be your best option without knowing any more details. I, like you, get really tired of stuffing pockets when I have two in dipes, but since that is the bulk of my diaper stash I guess I'll keep doing it. :(

Just wanted to also say that I have had two in dipes before and will have it again once this LO is born. Just make sure you have a few pail liners in addition to whatever diapers you may purchase. You'll be washing a lot so you'll need one in the diaper pail and another in the wash pretty regularly (I personally have three on hand at all times). Sometimes people ONLY think about the diapers and forget the wetbags and pail liners. :blush:

sisu 05-03-2013 08:00 AM

Re: Hello everyone.. need advice!
 
My son was still in diapers when my daughter was born, and that's when I became a fan of AIOs. :) What kind of budget are you looking at? Will your kids share the diapers?

lynn97 05-03-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatieB621
Just wanted to also say that I have had two in dipes before and will have it again once this LO is born. Just make sure you have a few pail liners in addition to whatever diapers you may purchase. You'll be washing a lot so you'll need one in the diaper pail and another in the wash pretty regularly (I personally have three on hand at all times). Sometimes people ONLY think about the diapers and forget the wetbags and pail liners. :blush:

Good to know! I bought two more pail liners (we have two already) and wondered if I was nuts. But I anticipate washing more, at least in the beginning and I didn't want to run out as they can take a bit to fully dry.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Marelle481 05-03-2013 09:58 AM

Re: Hello everyone.. need advice!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs (Post 16558485)
Are you wanting an easy all in one (with no need for a cover?) or are you wanting something that you would use a cover with? What is your budget? Do you want sized or one size? Do your children tend to be super wetters, or normal? Do you want diapers for your 1 year old and your newbie or just the newbie? Do you have anything left over from your older child? Oh and do you like velcro or snaps?

Wow, this is a lot. Ok Jagger (my 12 month old) is only 19lbs and is 20" tall. He doesn't seem to be a super soaker like his brother was, but every now and then he fills a disposable up super fast. I'd really like one size diapers so that the babies can share them. I have small babies like 6.5lbs so I will probably use disposables at first with a newborn since this is for sure my last and I don't want to have to buy a newborn stash as well. I have nothing left from my oldest. I've only ever used snaps ( I think I did have one velcro bum genuis but hardly used it). I want something that'll last and I heard velcro wears over time. So I guess snaps, although I am kind of looking into GroVia hybrids because snapping them in isn't a big deal to me. What do you guys think of those?

3 ladybugs 05-03-2013 10:13 AM

Re: Hello everyone.. need advice!
 
I have no experiance with GroVia. However they look like they may work for you for ease of use. I typically have fitteds (which I have already made for this baby) and those have a 2 petal soaker. This dries quickly and works well for us. So I like the soaker in the GroVia AIO as it is shaped the same.

How long did it take for your 1 year old to get to 10 lbs? It might be worth it for you to get a newborn stash and just sell it when your done. A 6 lbs baby might take a while to get there. :dunno:

KatieB621 05-03-2013 03:02 PM

Re: Hello everyone.. need advice!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs (Post 16559222)
I have no experiance with GroVia. However they look like they may work for you for ease of use. I typically have fitteds (which I have already made for this baby) and those have a 2 petal soaker. This dries quickly and works well for us. So I like the soaker in the GroVia AIO as it is shaped the same.

How long did it take for your 1 year old to get to 10 lbs? It might be worth it for you to get a newborn stash and just sell it when your done. A 6 lbs baby might take a while to get there. :dunno:

My newbies are about the same size and you are estimating your's will be as well. It takes mine quite a while to get up to 10 lbs, which is when OS dipes start fitting well. That's why we use fitteds and covers OR PF and covers with all of our's as newbies. My 17 m. old is only 20 lbs (he's much larger than his sister was at this point). OS dipes didn't fit him well until he was about 5 m. old (that was with the rise snaps all the way down then). Not telling you to get a nb stash or not, but you may be buying sposies for a while if you don't.

It sounds like you need to look at OS AIO's though if you want them to work for both children. Several brands carry these. You could do something cheap, like a OS THX AIO or a little more pricey like at OS BG AIO. Not sure what your budget may be. I TOTALLY agree with you on the snaps, imo. I don't like velcro myself because it makes things crazy in the dryer. I end up having a huge diaper chain. :giggle: I does, imo, also wear out much more quickly than snaps do. Since you are wanting dipes to last for a while, all the while having two in dipes, I really would advise snaps. I guess you should just shop around at the different brands and find some that you really like.

KatieB621 05-03-2013 03:07 PM

Re: Hello everyone.. need advice!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lynn97 (Post 16558949)
Good to know! I bought two more pail liners (we have two already) and wondered if I was nuts. But I anticipate washing more, at least in the beginning and I didn't want to run out as they can take a bit to fully dry.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

I have three and I only have one in dipes right now. I probably need to pick up another one just to be on the safe side. I know when DD and DS were both in dipes I was washing a min. of every other day....on occasion it was every day. It wasn't because my stash wasn't big enough to handle it....my diaper pails would fill up THAT quick. Sometimes I had one pail liner full of dirty dipes in the laundry room waiting for another load of regular clothes to come out of the washer, another one in the dryer (in a load of dipes) getting ready to use, and the third one IN the pail catching what was getting dirty at the moment. :hide: That only happened though if both kids had shots and had "side effects" from them if you kwim. :giggle2:

Marelle481 05-03-2013 07:12 PM

Re: Hello everyone.. need advice!
 
Well we got some cloth! Ended up with Grovia hybrid( think I'm gonna like these best) and Grovia AIO and a bum genius AIO. I like that you can reuse the shell with the hybrid so it's less expensive than AIO and I like the trim look. I bought 3 used shells as well for $4 a piece that have Velcro. I'm going to switch the Velcro out and add snaps instead. So far Jagger approves!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors