Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Vegetarian help (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=890561)

missydawn 12-13-2009 03:23 PM

Vegetarian help

Ok so my dh and I have decided to try a vegetarian life style. After some research I am thinking this is a healthier choice for us. Well I suck at these dishes. I made Ratatouille last night and no one liked it. I need help with easy dishes that are yummy.

*Aimee* 12-13-2009 03:57 PM

Re: Vegetarian help

I recommend the book Veganomicon. It has the best recipes ever! If you don't want to be vegan, just use milk and eggs and cheese in place of the soy stuff. That's what I did. They have easy and hard recipes so its a very good book.

Also check out vegweb? i think? they have a ton of recipes.

kvalentine 12-13-2009 04:17 PM

We are mostly vegan, but my favorite veggie book is Vegan with a Vengeance....very yummy "comfort" type food and cheap and easy:thumbsup:

When we went vegetarian we just didn't buy meat and replaced "meat" with soy products and then eventually we weaned off the meat substitute:giggle:

alianora 12-14-2009 11:57 AM

Keep in mind that it will take a while for your bodies and tastebuds to adjust. For now, when you are just starting out, make what you normally would make - just skip the meat. Meatless spaghetti, pizza, breakfast for dinner..that kind of thing.

missydawn 12-14-2009 04:25 PM

Thank you all for some great places to look.

tracybhere 12-14-2009 05:01 PM

We love the Vegetarian Times magazine. They have lots of great recipes, ranging from super-easy 30-minutes or less dinners to more complex recipes. I just love the diversity of options it provides. It is also very informative generally about a healthy vegetarian lifestyle.

momma4of6 12-16-2009 01:26 PM

did you season it up well?

My husband says he hates most veggies, so i only cook the ones he says he likes, however when we go out to eat he always eats those veggies that comes with his meals that he "hates", they use lots of garlic, salt, herbs, etc.

So if you didnt like ratatouille, try it again, but really season it up...

Also if you are moving from a meat and pototes diet to a veggie diet, transition to it, move slowly, or everyone will hate it and the change either wont happen, or it will be really bumby

momma4of6 12-16-2009 01:35 PM

also we arent a veg family, but one of our favorite dishes is this...

1 can each, dices tomatoes, kidney beans, corn, black beans, white beans, chili beans (the beans in chili sauce not chili) or ranch beans, then add salt, garlic, other seasons you like..its a hardy meal, and you dont miss the meat

I also had eggplan parm.....my husband didnt even realize that it didnt have meat in it.......basically it was cookies eggplant, pasta sauce topped with cheese...

Also rachel ray has a meatless lassanga, my quest had no idea it didnt have meat....it was baiscally pasta, tomates, pesto, lots of chesse and riccata cheese...you can make it a million different ways

Just pick out your favorite meals, and change them. Like spegitti, add chopped veggies instead of meat..get not dogs, or soy burgers for the "meat"

Alone they might taste "off" to you, but in a dish its hard to tell

momma4of6 12-16-2009 02:26 PM

thought of another.......

potato boats

bake a large potato add anything you can think of, veggies, cheeses, chili beans (beans in chili sauce not meat)....

Linzomama 12-18-2009 10:01 PM

I'm a new veggie, too. One thing I love to make is PIZZA.