Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Fully vaxing families? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1409508)

Brooke789 02-08-2013 11:04 AM

Re: Fully vaxing families?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouchienurse (Post 16262637)
Wow, that's alot. Most health departments will vax for free or a super reduced cost

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

I actually called the health department after we had the huge bill I mentioned in my earlier post and was told that they were only able to do vaccinations for children on state health assistance (medicaid?). So, we don't qualify since we have our own insurance and have to pay for the vaccinations.

poohbear1208 02-08-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooke789

I actually called the health department after we had the huge bill I mentioned in my earlier post and was told that they were only able to do vaccinations for children on state health assistance (medicaid?). So, we don't qualify since we have our own insurance and have to pay for the vaccinations.

Isnt part of the new ACA that insurance companies have to cover well visits and vaccines with no copays? Our ins started 100% coverage for those services 2 or 3 years ago. I do know that target minute clinic does cheap vaccines- we always get our flu done there. It's ran through insurance for us, but they have the cash prices listed and I remember them being reasonable

sma123 02-08-2013 11:29 AM

My insurance used to but since "aca", now we are billed for vaccines.

poohbear1208 02-08-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sma123
My insurance used to but since "aca", now we are billed for vaccines.

Interesting....... We went from having well care copays to none, so I just assumed that was part of the whole ACA deal

Brooke789 02-08-2013 11:44 AM

We always pay our co-pay for well visits ($10 for us) but then we are also billed a portion of anything that is done. Insurance only 'allows' X amount for vaccine costs, so if the doctor bills more than that we pay the difference.

I know my insurance hasn't had to make other ACA changes (like covering pap smears) because they are 'grandfathered in'. So hopefully, once that period is over we'll get all of the good changes!

tmwmommy 02-08-2013 11:48 AM

My dd is fully vaxed (at least for the school requirements). There's NO other choice in my state (WV). Dh and I don't really get any vaccines unless necessary (maybe a tetanus shot if needed).

Celeste 02-08-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyMum (Post 16263463)
We fully vaccinate on schedule.

We do, too. I am the only one of us who didn't get a flu shot this year. I really have no good reason for not getting one, just haven't gotten around to it. This is the first year the kids have gotten flu vaxes. DH works in the ER, so he is totally up to date with everything. I am up to date with everything but the flu vax. As of right now, I do not forsee our kids getting the Gardasil vax, either. That's the only one that I am against. Maybe time will change my mind, though. Other than that, DH and I are both fairly passionate (esp DH...he rants on and on about non-vaxers) about vaccines.

Fitter 02-08-2013 02:08 PM

we fully vax and on schedule.

PurpleDaffodil 02-08-2013 09:39 PM

We are, hubby could not find any solid evidence to prove that it was harmful to vax and there were reported outbreaks of whooping cough near us.

sparkle3116 02-08-2013 10:12 PM

I spread them out a little sometimes since 4 vaccines in one visit seems excessive (we did 2 last time, then going back for 2 more with the nurse this month). I think more vaccines at one time probably increases the risk of a reaction or interaction, and I would rather give my little guy's immune system time to respond to one or two vaccines at a time. I also will delay a vaccination appointment if he's sick, but we're more-or-less on schedule.

I don't usually get the flu vacc. unless I'm working in health care and I didn't get Gardisil, but it was pretty new when I was in the age window.

DH works at the hospital, so he is fully vaccinated.

The dogs usually only get their annual vaccines every other year now that they're 5 or 6 years old, unless they have to go to the kennel, but they're indoors only except for walks on leashes. No dog parks or playdates for us anymore, since dog #2 doesn't play well with others :( When we did, they were on-schedule.