Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   ABove the 50% babies.. what gives? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100000)

mrsbehaven007 02-17-2007 07:27 PM

ABove the 50% babies.. what gives?

I have pretty average kiddos.. William just went to get his weight and stuff checked out. And he is in the 80% for weight and height.. or something like that.. well I had asked the lady about what that means.. and I was happy that he was " above average" and she went on to tell me that babies should stay closer to the 50% area.. and that when a child gets to 95% for there weight then that is a problem that they are over weight??!! I thought that anything above the 50% ment that they were healthy? She didnt tell me that he was "fat" she kept calling him thick .. and he would " thin out " for me not to worry . I told her I wasnt worried at all .. ( I am 5'7 110 pds..and dh is 6' 157 pds ) we are not big ppl . but anywho.. why is it that ppl think our kids are overeating or something or worried that they might stay above average.. I just dont get it .. :headscratch:

debbidala 02-17-2007 07:46 PM

Re: ABove the 50% babies.. what gives?

That's so dumb! The percentiles just tell you what is "normal" for the general population - obviously there are variations, we're all different! What's really important with those charts is that a child's growth follow the curve (not stay flat or spike straight up over time), not WHERE on the curve they fall. My now-5-year-old has always been off the charts - he's 50th percentile for a 9 year old now, nowhere near the chart for his own age group, and that's for both height and weight, but his growth has followed the curve of the charts, and that's what matters.

Sorry to ramble - it sounds like your ds is doing GREAT! Good for you not to listen to that lady!

Fither 02-17-2007 07:52 PM

um yeah, that's pretty stupid. my son is just now leaning more towards "normal". he was never even on the weight charts until his 9 month appt. he is perfect, and so is your baby :goodvibes:

JenMah 02-17-2007 07:57 PM

OH MY--how rude!
FWIW--my first son was OFF the charts (on the high side) until he was 3 years old--now he's the smallest kid in his 5th grade class. SILLY!

kkmoto 02-17-2007 08:02 PM

Ignor her- she is ignorant. As long as they are heathy, happy and continue to grow who cares. I have 4 kids, I have a 3%til a 25-50%til and the babies are 10-25%til. I am 5' 2" and we have a tiny family dh being the tallest at 5'9".

worldsaver 02-17-2007 08:06 PM

oh good lord, what a rude lady!

My kids are always 95th+% and as long as they stay right around the curve I think theyre doing great. Their pedi said it doesn't matter much as long as they stay right around what's normal for them :goodvibes:

allye 02-17-2007 08:10 PM

thats rude! they shouldn't be saying that at all... I would ignore the comments for sure!
I mean my 4 yr old dd is on the 97th percentile for her height, and she's not big by any means, she's quite tall! Oi...

christinewith4 02-17-2007 08:11 PM

ok...she has NO idea what she was talking about! A baby/child is "over weight" ONLY when there %ile wieght is MUCH higher than thier %ile height...IF a child is BIG in BOTH categories, then they are not "fat" they would be tall w/ a weight matching it...for instance, our 1yr old is "above" in height and "below" in wieght...he is SUPER tall an skinny... my oldest was off the charts in both height and wieght BUT evenly, so he ws never "fat", just weighed what he should for being sooo super tall (he was the size of a kindergartener at age 2yrs)...if he would have been "50th" in wieght at that height, he would have been too skinny. Now, if you had a child who was like "5th" in height and "95th" in wieght, you would have an issue with obesity...I hope this makes sense....:giggle:..:thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsbehaven007 (Post 736270)
I have pretty average kiddos.. William just went to get his weight and stuff checked out. And he is in the 80% for weight and height.. or something like that.. well I had asked the lady about what that means.. and I was happy that he was " above average" and she went on to tell me that babies should stay closer to the 50% area.. and that when a child gets to 95% for there weight then that is a problem that they are over weight??!! I thought that anything above the 50% ment that they were healthy? She didnt tell me that he was "fat" she kept calling him thick .. and he would " thin out " for me not to worry . I told her I wasnt worried at all .. ( I am 5'7 110 pds..and dh is 6' 157 pds ) we are not big ppl . but anywho.. why is it that ppl think our kids are overeating or something or worried that they might stay above average.. I just dont get it .. :headscratch:

ceilismom 02-17-2007 08:12 PM

Jeez. Is that nurse related to my in-laws? My DD was around 90th for weight and 75th for height at one time. Crazy MIL and BIL (bachelor, no kids) had my DH convinced that Morgan was fat. I kept telling him that breastfed babies often start out that way, but slim down later, and that she was perfectly normal. I finally had to drag him to a doctor's appt. with me so he'd believe it. Right now, she's a 21 pound 30 inch long 15 month old. The only reason to worry is if they lose ground steadily, their height and weight percentiles are drastically different (like 25th for height and 95th for weight) or are off the chart for a long period of time (like years). And even then, their growth pattern may be perfectly normal for their family. Your DS is fine. I think people are so obsessed with weight, that they don't even know what normal is any more.

Menfusse 02-17-2007 08:14 PM

Well, if he was in the same % for both, then obviously he is perfectly proportioned. She is a moron. If a kid's weight was in the 95th, but their height was in the 30th or something, then I would say you worry about being over weight. But since his match up...I don't see what her problem is.

Basically, the actual percentile means nothing. It's if they stay on a curve with consistancy. If they are on the 40th for weight for months and months, then suddenly fall off or way down the chart, then their *might* be cause for concern. Same if they jump up a bunch of percentiles all of the sudden. My oldest dd was always VERY tall, usually off the chart for height. Her weight was always in the %50. They just called her long and lanky, which she was. My 14 month old, started off on the %20 for both, then hopped up around 2 months of age. She had horrible reflux and tons of allergies, which we knew. So when she started slipping down the chart some flags went up that something might be wrong...and it was. She is now off the chart on the bottom side and we have to struggle for every ounce on her.

But another kid can be tiny...on the 3rd% and it be perfectly normal.

My point is, the charts all by themselves can say nothing about a kid, in terms of growth and health. They are merely one more tool that the docs use to look at a kids over all health.