Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   For those dealing with recurrent, constant thrush...there IS hope!!! (and benefits!!) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1000612)

1blessedmama 06-03-2010 05:16 PM

For those dealing with recurrent, constant thrush...there IS hope!!! (and benefits!!)

UPDATE- I thought I'd go ahead and just link this to my blog post about my battles, as it has more accurate, detailed information (outside of the common recommendations). I hope this continues to help others out there! Thrush is AWFUL.
http://joyfilledmama.blogspot.com/20...ould-have.html

A little background...I've been nursing for 4 years and 3 months straight- through 2 pregnancies, tandem nursing, and now triandem nursing. With my first daughter we got a very minor case of thrush at about 4 weeks, but it was gone as quickly as it came. Never dealt with it again until a year and a few months ago, DD2 was 7ish months old and I got my wisdom teeth out, got an infection, and went on antibiotics. Most of my issues since have stemmed from that- initially I had thrush for 10 weeks before I got rid of it, and I've had it about 12 or 13 times since for anywhere from 1-7 weeks at a time- since DS was born, I've had it for about 2.5 out of the 3 months!! I mean, I know I already had some systemic candida issues, as I think most American's do these days, but the antibiotics TOTALLY worsened things. (and for the record, we avoid abx at pretty much all costs nearly all of the time, so I knew I was in for trouble when I was taking them but I was desperate and in pain! :laugh: )

So I had a tried and true regimen to get rid of it, consisting of taking garlic, GSE, coconut oil, olive leaf, and a B-complex (and quality probiotics of course but we take those regularly so I didn't consider it a separate part of the treatment). Topically I would use diluted GSE, ACV, antifungals, and coconut oil. I would also do my best to follow the candida/pH diet while trying to get rid of it (which is more than just cutting out carbs/sugars/etc). (and as much as I could the rest of the time, but let's face it, that diet sucks! LOL) Several times I also tried gentian violet, Nystatin, and Diflucan. I tried a few handfuls of other supplements to help, like citrus pectin, saccharomyces boulardii, etc, but still nothing seemed to KEEP the thrush away. I knew I had systemic issues after a while, it was just evident. So I started taking Candex in the mornings and night and it actually started helping a bit but I was still getting thrush "outbreaks". I had pretty much resigned to believing that I was just NEVER going to get rid of my issues while nursing 3 kids, figuring that if I couldn't overcome my problems with all I'd tried, that we must just not be able to control it with so many people involved (even though I'd tread them, too, and they are regularly on probiotics as well...and we don't use any artificial nipples, wash/bleach/sun everything possible, etc).

But now, what feels like CENTURIES later, I'm finally overcoming my systemic candida issues, thanks to Candex in the morning and at night, and ThreeLac during the day (had read about the ThreeLac on a thrush/nursing website and then heard about it again while reading reviews about Candex, saying they work really well together). It's wonderful, and because they work so well, I don't totally "relapse" (get thrush again) whenever I fall miserably off of my candida/pH diet wagon (which in all honesty I SUCK at following :laugh: ). So ladies, if you are having issues and NOTHING seems to work, give these a try. They're not cheap, but I was at the point where I would have paid for SURGERY if there was such a thing to cure candida issues, so it was VERY worth it to me. We've also been reaping the benefits of fresh ground grains on a daily basis (inspired by Sue Becker's Free CD) since fresh ground grain breads are light night and day from store-bought breads and enriched flours, so that also allows me to eat bread and not worry about it bringing back all my problems!!!

But, I also wanted to share another cool part...I'm getting my sex drive back! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...nstars/lol.gif I know that sounds weird, but I was on hormonal BC for just a few months back right before/when we got married (since "they" say you have to be on it at least a month ahead of time to ensure it works and we waited for marriage, and obviously I was naive and didn't have the convictions I have now :) Now we leave that up to God!! ). Birth control is notorious for contributing to candida. And low sex drive is a symptom of candida overgrowth! I know it seriously messed with my hormones too, and I do believe that is still part of the problem, but I also believe that being on the BC is really when my systemic issues started (aside from whatever I would have had from my diet growing up, which wasn't the best I'm sure).

And the coolest part...weight loss!! Candida is also known to be one of the biggest factors in weight loss struggles for so many people. As soon as the Candex started working for me, I lost 7lbs in 3 days, and have lost about 3-4lbs effortlessly since then. (I typically plateau about 8-10lbs above my pre-pg weight by this point PP, so basically I'm finally down to my "normal" weight right now). This is something I noticed back when I first started taking good, quality probiotics, too.

Anyway, just wanted to share that to give anyone else struggling with thrush (or heck, a low sex drive! LOL) some hope!!!!. And like I said, since I bet MOST American's are dealing with candida issues (whether they know it or not), I have to wonder if other women struggling with sex drive and weight issues issues might want to give this a shot. And since Candex and ThreeLac are just enzymes and probiotics, there's no harm in taking them to try!

idigchaitea 01-22-2011 10:34 AM

Re: For those dealing with recurrent, constant thrush...there IS hope!!! (and benefit

UPDATE ON 2ND PAGE! I know this is an old post, but I wanted to say thanks for the great info! I'm at my wits end trying to get rid of thrush. I've had it for a couple of months now and I am completely miserable and wanting to give up BFing. I've tried everything from coconut oil, GSE, Garlic, Acidophillus, 2 rounds of Diflucan, Nystatin, Gentian Violet, and Rainbow Light Candida Cleanse. I'm still using most of those, but I'm not seeing a huge improvement, unfortunately. I definitely have some deep candida issues. I tried giving up all sugar/carbs/dairy for a week and it was so difficult for me--I couldn't go beyond that.

I took the plunge and ordered Threelac and Candex like you suggested. They should arrive next week--I can't wait to try it. Your post made me very hopeful. Thanks so much!

HeatherlovesCDs 01-22-2011 02:27 PM

Re: For those dealing with recurrent, constant thrush...there IS hope!!! (and benefit

Thanks for bumping this! I've been struggling for yeast on and off with all of my 3 nursing experiences. I'm 9 months into nursing my second set of twins and nothing has changed. I'm still in pain most of the time despite aggressively treating it over and over again. I'm going to read it a bit more in-depth later tonight. :goodvibes:

AnnaG01 01-22-2011 02:36 PM

Yes, thanks for bumping this! I always get horrible thrush when BFing and I stick through it but not without killing me...and we've always used vinegar cotton balls, antifungal creams, GV, air dry, and anything anyone told me to do...I'm about to be nursing again and hope I can re-find this post!

tamarag 01-23-2011 07:01 PM

subbing

Joyful Tie Dyes 01-23-2011 07:15 PM

OMG I have been fighting thrush forever. I just finished a month of diflucan along with use of GSE, ACV, APNO, acidophilous etc. I think it might be gone but know it will be back :yuck:

Tina5834 01-24-2011 12:40 AM

OMG! Thanks for this! I've been dealing with thrush since DD was 3wks old (she's 6 months now). If it will help with low sex drive and weight loss I'm all for those too!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

havingfun 01-25-2011 07:33 AM

I'm so glad you found something that worked! I had thrush with DD for 10 months and tried EVERYTHING with no results. It just kept getting worse. My mom finally stopped at a local store that specializes in supplements and was recommended Pau D'arco and cranberry along with the probiotics that I was already taking. What an amazing difference almost immediately! It never completely cleared up until she weaned, but it was manageable.

So when DS was 6 months old and I felt the all-too-familiar itching, I got the Pau D'arco (which is not expensive) again and started taking 500 mg/day and the 50 billion/capsule probiotics. It has kept the thrush at bay with barely any noticeable symptoms. I topically use olive oil.

I also have not had to alter my diet. It is very interesting to learn that there is a connection between Candida and sex drive. Glad to know it's not "just me"!

idigchaitea 01-26-2011 10:57 AM

I just started the Threelac and Candex yesterday, so I'll update you mamas on any changes I feel! I'm feeling some slight detoxing symptoms, and this is the second day. I have had a headache since I started (which is good--means it's working!). Detox symptoms don't last too long, from what I've read. I started out taking the Threelac twice a day instead of one because I want to attack the candida hard. I'm taking two Candex capsules twice a day. I ordered from Amazon like the OP suggested. It was pricey, but I'm very hopeful about this because of all the reviews I've read online. I also feel a bit more energy already! I'll keep you updated!

Joyful Tie Dyes 02-02-2011 07:43 PM

any update?