Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   "soakers", "inserts", & "doublers" - is there a difference? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1002750)

BellyMonstersMama 06-07-2010 06:17 AM

"soakers", "inserts", & "doublers" - is there a difference?

I'm new to CD and I've seen all of these terms used, but I'm wondering what the difference is between them all?

And, I'm also wondering what is the most absorbent material to make them from... thanks!

RockinLou 06-07-2010 06:28 AM

Re: "soakers", "inserts", & "doublers" - is there a difference?

soakers: inside an AI2 - material is safe against baby's skin (but no reason it can't also be used as an insert!)

inserts:designed to go inside pocket diapers, many are microfiber, and should not go against baby's skin... but if they are natural fibers, there's no reason the can't be used as a soaker!

doublers: smaller/trimmer than the above items, designed to add absorbency for nap-time or heavy wetters, not absorbent enough to be used alone

HTH :goodvibes:

PureBliss 06-07-2010 07:12 AM

Also wanted to add that "soakers" are also pull on covers, made of either wool or fleece.

ETA: my favorite materials for doublers and inserts are either bamboo, hemp or cotton. I try to stick with more natural fibers and stay away from the synthetics, like microfiber and zorb.

BellyMonstersMama 06-07-2010 08:23 AM

Thanks ladies!!! :smooch:

RockinLou 06-07-2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PureBliss (Post 10435164)
Also wanted to add that "soakers" are also pull on covers, made of either wool or fleece.

ETA: my favorite materials for doublers and inserts are either bamboo, hemp or cotton. I try to stick with more natural fibers and stay away from the synthetics, like microfiber and zorb.

:banghead: I hadn't even thought of that! no wonder it's so confusing to people!!!

I stick with cotton, hemp & bamboo too.... i don't like microfiber (even though they come with most pockets...) and have never tried zorb b/c i just like natural fabrics, so I have no need to mess with 'em!!

bigmamakelsey 06-07-2010 12:57 PM

Soakers: Generally a snap in in either a fitted or an AI2/AIO.
Inserts: Used in pocket diapers
Doublers: Same look as an insert, but aren't absorbant enough on their own. They are used along with a soaker or insert to increase absorbancy for nap/nighttime or heavy wetters. Some also are topped with a stay dry material (like fleece) to pull moisture away from babies skin.

I like organic bamboo velour and organic cotton. I don't why, but organic nautral fibers seem so much more absorbant to me, even more so than microfiber or zorb. Hemp fleece is also great!