Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   do you pre-cook the crust for homemade pizza? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1003368)

sunnymommy 06-07-2010 08:56 PM

do you pre-cook the crust for homemade pizza?

Or do you just put the sauce/toppings/cheese right on the dough and bake it all at once? The recipes I have seen have it done all at once which is faster, but it comes out pretty soft/floppy for us! I baked one on a cookie sheet and one on a baking stone and both were the same. How do you get crisp crust, or at least so it's not flopping around and you don't have to use a fork to eat it? Do you bake the crust first and then bake it again with the stuff on top? What works for you? Thank!

kannondicarpo 06-07-2010 08:58 PM

Re: do you pre-cook the crust for homemade pizza?

Depends. If I roll it out think than I just throw everything on and bake it together. If I make it more traditional than I bake it first for 5-10 and then add the toppings.

2queens&1princenmyhouse 06-07-2010 09:53 PM

I typically roll out the dough and put everything on, then bake. But I think you could do as pp suggested and bake the crust by itself for a few minutes and then add toppings and continue to bake.

Another thing that makes a difference for me is if I put the stone on the bottom rack of the oven vs. the top rack. The crust is much crispier on the bottom, but I have to watch it closer to make sure it doesn't burn.

jenthe10 06-08-2010 06:14 AM

I alwasy pre bake mine for a few mins. I also pre heat my stone while i preheat the oven.

Zabibaby 06-08-2010 07:48 AM

yes I do.
and I use those “wire mesh” pizza discs so most of the pizza crust is exposed.

va703 06-08-2010 10:34 AM

I prebake for about 6-7 minutes, then top it and finish baking. I like a crispier crust. I get the best results with a stone, not a fan of using a baking sheet.

JennTheMomma 06-08-2010 11:14 AM

Usually for about a minute or two, otherwise it stays kind of soggy with the sauce.

BNC 06-08-2010 03:17 PM

I always par bake the crust - or else it is limp and soggy in the middle. ABout 8 minutes for a large pizza.

Brooke789 06-08-2010 04:14 PM

Yep, I always prebake to make it extra crispy. It seems like w/o the pre-bake you can't pick up a slice of pizza and it support itself, but if you do it will!

I also tend to double the recipe (for my bread machine pizza crust) and make 8 individual pizzas at one time. Then pre-bake them all and we have one each and save the others to have pizza another day.

JnS Mama 06-08-2010 05:24 PM

I used to have that problem too until I read that pizzerias would pop in the raw dough with toppings pizza into a 500 to 600* ovens to cook. Since then I put the oven to at least 450* if not a bit higher. It doesn't burn the dough or the toppings, but cooks it all the way through to less limpness. Still takes around 20-25 minutes to cook. Also, make sure you put a light coating of oil on the bottom of your pan. I find that this creates a crispier bottom too.

Ami