Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I need encouraging (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10040)

Trishalynn 05-30-2006 12:27 PM

I need encouraging

I"M going crazy! :banghead: my dd is having gas issues due to milk intolerance she just wants to nurse all the time, so she's up all night and my older dd is up all day. I seriously only get about 3 hours of sleep every night. I"m so tired and so tempted to go to formula, except that I really want to be successful at bfing. (that and she'd need special formula and its really expensive) I just feel like a chew toy, she's constantly on the breast, I finally broke down and gave her a pacifier so my poor boobs could have a break! I can do this right?

1bigfamily 05-30-2006 12:53 PM

Re: I need encouraging

:hugs: I think you have to do what works best for you and your baby. I use a pacifier with one of the twins bc the other one won't take it anymore. The older 3 kids never took one. I offered it to all of them but they were never interested. I think the twins got used to them in the NICU but Aaron lost interest once he started bfing at 3 months but Glory still likes it. She isn't always hungry but almost always wants to suck on something and if I nurse her she will puke, puke, and puke again!

When they were newborn, they always had to suck on something or they wouldn't sleep so they used the pacifiers all the time. I feel like a pacifier with Aaron sometimes but he is older than your baby so now I try to distract him with play or if he is really fussy I just nurse him to sleep. I had to cut out dairy products for a while with him bc of fussieness and gas.

I know it can be a lot of work to nurse at first but it is so worth it for you and the baby. I wish you much success and no matter what, don't feel guilty about what you decide to do.

I hope this helps. Not everyone will agree with me but it worked for us. I hope you feel better soon.

negrapy 05-30-2006 01:16 PM

I had/have a sucker. We gave him the finger ( and I mean that in the nicest possible way) and then a pacifer too. Of course we had to hold it in for him but at least he wasn't using me all the time. And then finally around 3 months he discovered his own hands and his tummy troubles got so much better too. However now when he is tired or teething I'm still his fav paci. Good luck... it will get better... :hugs:

bethanyjoy 05-30-2006 03:41 PM

Have you checked your diet at all for foods that might be irritating your DD? Joey couldn't tolerate much dairy in MY diet while breastfeeding; I have a friend who couldn't have ANY caffeine or her kids would be very uncomfortable. Those are two of the most common triggers I've heard, wheat can be another.

Maybe you could try elminating one of those from your diet (whichever you have the most of) and see if it makes a difference? Give it a few days.

You CAN do this and it WILL get better! The first weeks are the hardest, before you know it she's going to be big and interesting in life beyond the boob...really, it does happen!! :bighug:

ewebabymama 05-30-2006 03:46 PM

You can do it mama!! I know what it's like not getting much sleep. My DD was colicky for the first 6/7 months and while she was up crying at night I was up too, then I had to be able to stay up with my older child during the day. It's rough, but you can definitely do it.

Like other mamas said, perhaps try eliminating things in your diet. Bethany said it best, one day the babe will be interested in much more than the boob, it'll happen before ya know it :) Hand in there, this won't last forever!!

Trishalynn 05-30-2006 03:51 PM

Thanks, its dairy thats bothering her I'm sure, we're heading to the doctor tomorrow to see for sure about it, but my other daughter had it when she was this age, but not to this point!

bethanyjoy 05-30-2006 04:02 PM

:hugs: Hang in there, momma! Definitely try and eliminate the dairy from YOUR diet and see if it helps. You should know in a week or so if it does or not, but personally, I would say do that before switching to formula or something...it's fairly straightforward to change your diet, and still gives your baby the benefits of b/f, and saves the cost of special formula. Just my :2cents: though. :bighug:

Trishalynn 05-30-2006 06:54 PM

I'm on day 5 now of no dairy and so far barely an improvement, but I"m told it can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 weeks before we see anything. I hope not I can't do this for 4 more weeks!!! Poor things in so much pain! I have a pump coming sometime this week so I'll pump some and get dh to take a turn one night so I can get some rest!

tng_mama 05-30-2006 07:07 PM

I had the same problem with dd, the Lactaction Consutant asked if she seems to gulp when she first latches on..a lot of babies do, they're eager to eat. Well, this creates gas bubbles in their bellies, so she suggested that I take her off an burp her twice in the first ten minutes that I was nursing. It worked, and she nursed less frequently, she was now filling her belly with yummy mommy milk and not air.

Not sure if that helps, but that's what worked for me.:)

Trishalynn 05-30-2006 07:43 PM

Ya she gulps when she first latches on, but she'll only feed for about 10 minutes per side anyway so she gets those burps out right away, I'm just hoping for some miracle cure for this, but I think I'm gonna have to wait it out!