Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   baking chicken in crockpot?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1005313)

farmfresh 06-10-2010 10:33 AM

baking chicken in crockpot??

does anyone do this? if so, can you give me some pointers? seasonings to add? what i should know beforehand? we butchered chickens last week and Im wanting to bake one, but dont want to heat up the house to do it. thanks.

doubleddog 06-10-2010 10:51 AM

Re: baking chicken in crockpot??

It's super easy. Just throw the chicken in with a dash of your favorite herbs and cook on low for 6-8 hours or so.

some of my favorite seasonings are: a lemon, sliced into wedges scattered over the chicken with a dash of salt and pepper; 3 or 4 fresh rosemary sprigs tucked among the chicken with some salt and pepper; ginger/garlic/soy sauce/honey, or you can't go wrong with the suggestions simon and garfunkel give -parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme.

it's hard to mess up chicken. good luck!

LaughingPeaMama 06-10-2010 11:08 AM

I actually was super in a hurry and just threw the chicken in...no seasonings at all...turned out fantastic. It roasts it more than bakes it so it was super moist even though I didn't even add water to it. My favorite chicken seasonings are garlic, salt, pepper and mix called fines herbs. It is a very multi usefull flavor and doesn't set the stage so to speak on italian/american/mexican flavors and you can then use the leftovers in other types of recipes.

Amys peach and pear 06-10-2010 11:32 AM

I usually will ball up some tin foil (like 3) so I can rest the chicken on it and it can drip. Then the bottom doesn't get soggy. Little salt and pepper....

farmfresh 06-11-2010 09:44 AM

thanks so much for the tips, mamas! we butchered some chickens that ended up being a lot bigger than what we expected. they are very tasty though! it will take us a week to use a whole bird, so i wanted to bake one for use in several recipes. thanks again.

kocho 06-11-2010 11:12 AM

I know this is a bit OT, but do you happen to have one of those showtime rotisseries?? We used ours yesterday to make a chicken with evoo and poultry seasonings. I then used the carcus to make stock last night. And right now I'm making chicken soup for lunch and hope to make chicken pot pie for dinner. lol

Our inlaws bought us ours years ago and it's a real easy way to do chickens and turkeys. I'll have to try the crock pot method sometime though. We try to avoid using the oven for most of the summer. We happen to be having cool weather at the moment so I thought I'd do the potpie before it got hot!! lol

CountryChicMama 06-11-2010 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amys peach and pear (Post 10464685)
I usually will ball up some tin foil (like 3) so I can rest the chicken on it and it can drip. Then the bottom doesn't get soggy. Little salt and pepper....

:yeahthat: I like to stuff the cavity w/ wedges of onion, lemon, garlic and rosemary and/or also mix a marinade (like Italian dressing or my fav, Kraft's Sun-dried tomato vinegarette) w/ a little softened butter and then push it up under the skin before putting it in the crockpot. Mmmm...