Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   another one...can your 4 year old ride a bike? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1006415)

smashncakes 06-11-2010 08:40 PM

another one...can your 4 year old ride a bike?

DS knows how to pedal & is perfectly capable of riding his bike with training wheels on it. But guaranteed, every. single. stinkin'. time. we go out with him so he can ride his bike, we get 1/2 a block-ish from home up the road and he says "I don't know how" or "I can't pedal" or "push me" Really??:banghead: He BEGS to go outside & ride bikes with his friends...by the time I drag his bike out, get DD to come away from what she's playing with to go with, etc etc I'm already NOT in the mood to be chasing him down the street riding his bike, much less pushing his bike back to the house with him running behind me crying "I'll pedal, I'll pedal" to just get on and give up three seconds later & start it all over again. Aaahhhhh!!!! It's driving me nuts!! We got him his first bike when he was 2 and he never really seemed to care much about riding it at all...grandpa got him a new, bigger bike for Christmas this last year (right before he turned 4) because he'd already outgrown the one we got him that he never rode. And now, everyday I get "please mom?? pleeeeease? can I ride my bike?" and we go through this crap. I can't take it anymore!!

MrsLiberty 06-11-2010 08:49 PM

Re: another one...can your 4 year old ride a bike?

Dude... my daughter's almost 7, and she does that.

smashncakes 06-11-2010 08:51 PM

ugh, I better not have years of this left :goodvibes:

MrsLiberty 06-11-2010 08:58 PM

LOL You probably don't. My daughter is very immature for her age, so if that's not your kid, then you'll probably be done with this really soon! We're hoping we are, too! :giggle2:

Myles_104 06-11-2010 09:01 PM

This may sound mean, but when my dd (at age 5) did that, I told her that I wasn't pushing her bike back, and she had to do it, or leave it for someone else to find, who would like it more. It took about 3 times of her screaming that it was "too hard" for her to figure out I was serious, and about 4 more times after that to figure out it was easier to pedal.

angalynn23 06-11-2010 09:09 PM

I think you could go one of two ways with that to stop it. You could do the action/consequence method or the reward method. For the consequence method you would just tell him "yes, you can ride your bike, but if I have to push it back because you don't want to pedal, then we will not be riding bikes tomorrow." He'll do it once, just to see if you are for real. The next day you stick to your guns and tell him no bikes today because "remember the day before I told you if we rode bikes you would have to ride it all the way back and you chose not to". Day 3) Mommy, please can we ride bikes, "okay, but you have to ride it all the way back or we won't be riding bikes tomorrow....." Once you are consistantly sending the same message, he will likely catch on quickly. Around age 4 DS started to understand consequences and this type of discussion worked. It probably depends on the child because I have read that at this age children need something more immediate. You may need to modify and come up with a more immediate consequence to be more effective. The other option is the reward system. So maybe you tell him, okay and if you ride it all the way back then you get a sticker for doing a super job. Something like that is always a good way to go. :thumbsup: Sometimes it just takes patience and a lot of repeating to change a behavior.

angalynn23 06-11-2010 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myles_104 (Post 10477099)
This may sound mean, but when my dd (at age 5) did that, I told her that I wasn't pushing her bike back, and she had to do it, or leave it for someone else to find, who would like it more. It took about 3 times of her screaming that it was "too hard" for her to figure out I was serious, and about 4 more times after that to figure out it was easier to pedal.

:giggle2:I've used that method too. "okay, well I guess we will just have to leave it here and you won't have a bike to ride anymore" I'd actually leave it too... start to walk away from it. He'd start screaming, "no I want to keep my bike" I'd say, "oh, well I guess you better get up there and start pedaling":mrgreen:

nkdmkmom 06-11-2010 10:17 PM

We bought ds a bike for his 4th bday, and he likes it, but won't ride for more than a minute before he says it is too hard. Yeah...I'm ready for him to get past it too!

nalazimbala 06-11-2010 10:39 PM

We're about to get DD a bike for her 3rd bday, but we're getting a balance bike so there aren't any pedals. She has a tricycle which will teach her how to pedal so the balance bikes are supposed to be great for getting them onto a real bike...we'll see how it goes.

z2akids 06-11-2010 10:39 PM

Peddling is a really difficult skill and takes a lot of physical coordination and strength. A lot of 4 year olds may be able to peddle, but may not be strong enough to do so for extended periods.

My oldest didn't have a lot of time on a bicycle at 4 because we lived on a fairly busy street. He had trouble peddling for more than a few minutes at a time. We moved and at 5 he had gained a lot of strength and he not only did much better peddling, but also got his training wheels off.

My 2nd actually had his training wheels off 6 weeks after his 4th birthday, but he spent the entire summer peddling around our court.

My daughter also had her training wheels off at 4.

It takes a LOT of practice for them to get the strength to peddle up even a slight incline. Keep helping them practice and if possible take them to a flat playground or court where they can just ride and ride to work on that large motor strength.