Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Carseat gurus (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100797)

lindsayncadence 02-19-2007 03:01 PM

Carseat gurus

OK I have this friend who has 2 children and number 3 on the way. Her daughter is 2 and the baby is about 7 months. Last week she had me come to her car to see them and I about lost it when I saw the 2yr old in a forward facing turbobooster (idk it was the one with the high back) and the 7 month old in a ff carseat wasnt one that could even be RF. I just started going off on her. Her excuse was his legs touched the seat (I had also went over all this when her daughter was younger too) and that her mom bought them bc she couldnt afford them. I was like your mom could have gotten proper ones and if you cant afford them what the he** are you doing having another child. I told her she needed to leave and I could no longer deal with her ignorance.... Is there anything I can do? I mean I have given her ALL the information shown her videos and she just dont care. Shes a very negligent parent and I avoid her most the time bc I just wanna rip her hair out and take her kids (yea its that bad). I thought about getting her license plate number and calling the cops on her when I knew she was driving but she rarely ever has her kids with her. So any advice?

jenn5388 02-19-2007 03:42 PM

Re: Carseat gurus

wow.. If you are that bothered by it i'd just stay away from her. if she's not willing to listen, there's not much you can do. You could call the police, but I don't know if that would cause more problems for you or not. My daughter has been FF since she was about 8 months old. Not the Ideal Situation for sure, I know, but in my case, it couldn't be helped. Just happy we didn't leave the house but once a week maybe, and that was just down to the store. :) but anyway, if it were me, I just wouldn't talk to her anymore if something she does bothers you that much.

Out of curiousity, what kind of FF seat can't be turned around? Besides boosters, all of them could be turned around I thought. I have a Britax now and that one can even be turned around, and it's huge! lol

I don't know what would be worse... I know people that stopped using seats all together when thier kids turn around 4 or 5 years old, just because you used to be able to do that, and boosters were more so the child could see out the window better.

Good luck with what you decide to do.

kochanyk 02-19-2007 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenn5388 (Post 741563)
wow.. If you are that bothered by it i'd just stay away from her. if she's not willing to listen, there's not much you can do. You could call the police, but I don't know if that would cause more problems for you or not.

Ummm, yeah, she sounds crazy lol. It's not a debate-worthy topic- I mean it's common sense saftey right there! I would probably call the cops- why not, just be annon

lindsayncadence 02-19-2007 04:14 PM

Yes there are only ff seats I wil find one online later. I do stay away from her as much as possible the day I did see her she caught me as I was leaving the house.

Dsunny1 02-19-2007 08:21 PM

Convertible car seats can face the rear or the front, Combination car seats are forward facing only and convert into a booster later.
I don't know that there is much more you can do, other then buy her a convertible seat, show her how to use it for her 7mo rearfacing, put her 2 yo in the combination seat the other one was in, and make sure she has an infant seat for the new one on the way.
It is very dangerous to have a child forward facing before a year and 20lbs. She is definately putting both of her children at risk for injury in a crash. It is too bad she is unwilling to research and make appropriate choices for her children. You could also look up a car seat check and offer for you both to go to one. I don't know about where you live but when We do checks, no child leaves the check in a seat that is that misused. If the parents refuse to listen to us telling them a 7 mo has to be rearfacing and won't allow us to install the seat that way, the cops are called as they leave. We give seats to anyone who doesn't have the right ones, or can't afford to get the right ones.
www.seatcheck.org
This is a site for car seat tech's in the U.S.

JustAugust 02-19-2007 08:24 PM

What about calling DHS? The baby is too young to face forward, so it's against the law. Surely they'd be able to do something. ??

Dsunny1 02-19-2007 08:29 PM

The problem is depending on where they live it might now be against the law. In michigan there is no rearfacing law, so people really can't get in trouble for it, but we do have a proper use law, so if the car seat manufacturer says the child should be 1 yo to forward face then it "could" be against the law. Different car seats say different things though.

lindsayncadence 02-19-2007 10:05 PM

In ohio its 20lb and 1yr old for rear facing.

momx2 02-20-2007 01:10 AM

um...isn't it just better that at least she's using something for her kids rather than nothing at all? ...

lindsayncadence 02-20-2007 01:23 AM

Yea it is and it would be even better is she would be using them properly :)