Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Need your best, never-fail recipies PLEASE!!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1009846)

SazBaby 06-16-2010 05:25 PM

Need your best, never-fail recipies PLEASE!!!

To make a long story short, we're struggling with weight issues... still! Unfortunately it doesn't help that DD is getting finickier and finickier by the day... The old tried-and-true things that were a never miss for her are going down the tubes all of a sudden. About all we can reliably get in her any more are avocado and fruits! It's been so frustrating, and the last week or so has just been even more so...

Please help with your LO's favorite meal ideas! Mostly need help with lunch and dinner, best for high-calorie, good fat, healthy type meals... we're fighting the urge to just feed her cookies and hagan-daz ice cream to fatten her up!! :banghead:

Thanks in advance for any help you mamas can give!!

nighty-night mama 06-16-2010 09:42 PM

Re: Need your best, never-fail recipies PLEASE!!!

Think cream sauces over noodles, like a creamy mac and cheese. If she likes fruit how about smoothies(with or without whole milk yogurt) with coconut oil in them..my son loves these and it's full of good fat for them. My son was the same way and sometimes it's just a phase. My DD loves her bacon, nitrate free farm fresh stuff. I also pile on the butter, like 2-3 tbls on a pancake. Some moms will gasp but well made butter, or cheese, and especially coconut oil with give them so many vitamins and things, along with the fat they NEED. I'd have to say that right now coconut oil is the only reason my son is putting on ANY weight.

ittybittycoconuts 06-17-2010 11:30 AM

Just a wild guess but your DD is close to or turning 2? The no eating thing is a phase and it will pass pretty soon but be prepared this is the calm before the growth spurt storm. Mine finally just got over this!

My DD is 55% in height and 15% in weight so I get the fatten her up speech alot. Best thing I can say is kids will not starve themselves so if you cave and feed her junk she will only reject more good in order to get the junk. Salmon, avocado, whole grains, nuts especially walnuts have omega3, lamb is an oilier meat. A great snack is whole grain baguette with brie cheese and olive oil to dip with a side of fruit. My DD thinks this is the greatest thing ever but often dips her fruit in the olive oil! Im not big on dips but its helped her eat alot more. She likes the newmans own raspberry walnut vinagarette alot. I also bake and add in ground walnuts. I dont want my DD to just get fat from all the fats I give her or build bad eating habits, I think shes just built like me and DH were both mutantly tall and not large boned people.

SazBaby 06-17-2010 02:41 PM

Yep, DD is 20.5 months... 2 is on the horizon for sure!! She's about 15-25% for height and at 18.5lbs she's way below the lowest curve for weight. We desperately want to feed her healthy, like we eat, but also so desperately want her to be "normal" to doctors so we can stop fretting about it so much!

Great suggestions, keep them coming please!!!!

ittybittycoconuts 06-17-2010 03:51 PM

sounds like shes perfect for her! She may just grow up to be a small person. I hate when Dr's want all kids to be "normal" I wouldnt worry too much shes got a spurt coming up real soon, just keep feeding her as healthfully as possible. You dont want her to be fat. The numbers I gave you were from last week. At 20 months my DD's stats sounded just like your DD's. High protein, lots of calcium and fuel for growing. Another thing to think about is healthier foods provide more fuel and are more filling than refined food so it takes less to satisfy their needs.

Bethany89 06-17-2010 07:25 PM

Fruit huh? Ok, so my aunt makes this super yummy grape recipe.. she caters for weddings and such.. her recipes are slightly yummy.. This basically is a grape salad she could munch on and I bet she loves it!!
You need some grapes.. I use a whole bunch.. washed and patted dry with paper towels.
Mix 1/2 cup of sugar with 8 oz of cream cheese and 1 cup sour cream. Mix this mixture with the grapes. Toast 1 cup pecans and mix with 1 cup brown sugar. Put on top of the grape mixture. Chill in the fridge for a few hours and serve.. simply delicious..
Now that I think about it.. Im going to make some too!!
Its pretty fattening.. lol but has fruit in it.. and is yummy.. would make for a good side with a PB&J sandwich or something!!