Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   At what age did you go to toddler bed? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101511)

momovthree 02-20-2007 10:18 PM

At what age did you go to toddler bed?

I'm tossing this around for my son, he'll be 18 months soon. It feels so soon to me but today was the second time he's gotten himself tangled in the crib rails. I have no idea what he is doing in there! Gymnastics or something.

Today he went down for a nap and he was whining. I left him for a few minutes and he settled right down so I assumed he was sleeping. Then I hear this whimpering on the monitor. At first I thought he was dreaming but it didn't sound right so I went up and got him. Both thighs stuck through the crib and his feet were already a grey color.

I looked into a video monitor which we could swing but then I thought maybe we should just take him out of the crib at this point, put a gate at the door and keep the regular monitor on. :headscratch:

Mommy2JJ 02-20-2007 10:49 PM

Re: At what age did you go to toddler bed?

I think a toddler bed all depends on when they are ready. Jackson cosleeps with all the time and for naps....but I think when he was around 18 months and we were in his room and he wanted to "play" (guess he thinks that's what they are for :giggle: ) and he darn near scaled the whole thing.....BUT he is a climber and a mover. He had a crib that changed to a toddler bed so I went ahead and did it even though he never sleeps in it.

With all that said.....when we do transitition him to his room he will go straight to a twin bed with a bed rail. He is use to sleeping in our big bed and I am sure he willl still need some "help" to go to sleep so I think a twin is good for us. Plus for him it will be more what he is use to.

I would try a toddler bed though, is he a good sleeper??

mom_of_3g_1b 02-20-2007 10:56 PM

With my son we switched him directly into a twin with a rail. He was always a mature kid and we never had a problem. The girls we just switched at 17.5 months to toddler beds. They couldn't handle a twin. With three of them in one room it's taken a little longer to get them into the go to sleep routine but it's working itself out.

jls~Kain~Drake 02-21-2007 07:30 AM

Both of mine transitioned at 13 months. My first, I knew he was definitely ready. He just grew up so fast. My 2nd, I kept thinking..there's NO way he'll be ready for a toddler bed until probably 2yo...then in just 2 days, he climbed up & out FOUR times. So, I switched him to avoid a possible injury from falling from the top. He actually did really good - so he was ready too.

momma2three 02-21-2007 07:32 AM

My oldest 2 were in toddler beds at 10.5 months. You might think I was crazy, but they weren't staying in the crib. They do a pull-up and then kick their leg until it went over the rail and then lean forward until they fell out of their crib head first. They did the same thing out of the playpen. Crazy kids! When I made the switch, they did better than they did in the crib. They needed the door closed though, otherwise they wouldn't go to sleep and we kept the regular monitor on. Just make sure the room is completely child proofed before making the switch! My youngest will be 1 in a week and she hasn't tried to get out yet, so I have no clue when I'll switch her. Probably around 18 months, though.

momovthree 02-21-2007 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mommy2JJ (Post 746823)
I think a toddler bed all depends on when they are ready. Jackson cosleeps with all the time and for naps....but I think when he was around 18 months and we were in his room and he wanted to "play" (guess he thinks that's what they are for :giggle: ) and he darn near scaled the whole thing.....BUT he is a climber and a mover. He had a crib that changed to a toddler bed so I went ahead and did it even though he never sleeps in it.

With all that said.....when we do transitition him to his room he will go straight to a twin bed with a bed rail. He is use to sleeping in our big bed and I am sure he willl still need some "help" to go to sleep so I think a twin is good for us. Plus for him it will be more what he is use to.

I would try a toddler bed though, is he a good sleeper??

That makes sense to do a twin bed so there is room for an adult too. He's a really good sleeper once he goes down. But he tends to "play" in his crib for a bit before he goes, laughing and talking. He is sleeping well through the night though.

momovthree 02-21-2007 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom_of_3g_1b (Post 746847)
With my son we switched him directly into a twin with a rail. He was always a mature kid and we never had a problem. The girls we just switched at 17.5 months to toddler beds. They couldn't handle a twin. With three of them in one room it's taken a little longer to get them into the go to sleep routine but it's working itself out.

Glad to know some people switch over at this age, I was thinking he was way too young.

LOL about the 3 of them in one room, I can imagine they just want to play in there instead of sleep. Sleep is so boring. :giggle:

momovthree 02-21-2007 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momma2three (Post 747480)
My oldest 2 were in toddler beds at 10.5 months. You might think I was crazy, but they weren't staying in the crib. They do a pull-up and then kick their leg until it went over the rail and then lean forward until they fell out of their crib head first. They did the same thing out of the playpen. Crazy kids! When I made the switch, they did better than they did in the crib. They needed the door closed though, otherwise they wouldn't go to sleep and we kept the regular monitor on. Just make sure the room is completely child proofed before making the switch! My youngest will be 1 in a week and she hasn't tried to get out yet, so I have no clue when I'll switch her. Probably around 18 months, though.

Ouch! It amazes me what they can get their little bodies to do! His room is close to being child proof so I would only need to remove a few things. I'm going to talk it over with dh and see what he thinks. :thumbsup:

my2babyboys 02-21-2007 08:42 AM

My oldest now almost 3 1/2 went into a twin bed at 18 months. He refused to sleep in anything else so we got him the big bed. On the complete opposite, my youngest is 2 and still in a crib. He doesnt sleep well if its set up as a day bed, he likes it as a crib.

Cottonspuds Boutique 02-21-2007 08:43 AM

I have 4 kids...ages 17 /14/9 and 21mths and they all went to a toddler bed jsut little over 2. Once they crawl out! My ds#3 we co-slept from 2yr until 6ish