Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   WIC: Ah yes, yet another non-vax Q & A, lol (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101706)

ambered 02-21-2007 12:03 PM

WIC: Ah yes, yet another non-vax Q & A, lol

Sorry, but you all are so full of info & nobody bashes me here for non vaxing:goodvibes: .. so how about no vaxes & WIC? Anybody dealt with this? I did find & print this from their website: http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/benefits...munization.HTM which specifically states: "Immunization records and/or an infant/child’s immunization status are in no way tied to the receipt of WIC benefits." So there shouldn't be a problem really, but they ask for the imm record so I was just wondering if anyone was given any problems? Also, what about the blood test for the child they require at a year? If you refuse that can they DQ you? Thanks mamas! -Amber

zionnecherub 02-21-2007 12:20 PM

Re: WIC: Ah yes, yet another non-vax Q & A, lol

If you choose not to vax, and want to receive benefits like this, you should definately have a waiver on file & bring it with you to your appointments.

mrsbehaven007 02-21-2007 12:25 PM

About the blood being drawn at a year.. they told me that WIC would stop..and Med.. would stop.. but I fought and fought about it.. finally made an appt to hush them.. then didnt go..LOL>. they wrote me..and I never wrote back ..and havent set up another appt. So if they give you heck with it.. keep setting up the appt..then not go..LOL... set it in like 2mths later.. saying that is the only time youhave off... lol..

Shyla 02-21-2007 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ambered (Post 748438)
Sorry, but you all are so full of info & nobody bashes me here for non vaxing:goodvibes: .. so how about no vaxes & WIC? Anybody dealt with this? I did find & print this from their website: http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/benefits...munization.HTM which specifically states: "Immunization records and/or an infant/child’s immunization status are in no way tied to the receipt of WIC benefits." So there shouldn't be a problem really, but they ask for the imm record so I was just wondering if anyone was given any problems? Also, what about the blood test for the child they require at a year? If you refuse that can they DQ you? Thanks mamas! -Amber

Many many years ago when we were recieving WIC with my DD(we havent since than and now dont qualify even if we wanted to) we wouldnt do the blood test on dd so they refused to give us services. I was so angry way back than. They also try to force cows milk even when you have a doctors note that states an allergy. WIC is a great idea but it is poorly run IMO.

Shyla 02-21-2007 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsbehaven007 (Post 748540)
About the blood being drawn at a year.. they told me that WIC would stop..and Med.. would stop.. but I fought and fought about it.. finally made an appt to hush them.. then didnt go..LOL>. they wrote me..and I never wrote back ..and havent set up another appt. So if they give you heck with it.. keep setting up the appt..then not go..LOL... set it in like 2mths later.. saying that is the only time youhave off... lol..

LOL and if you finally go they will pester you about the blood draw and not give you benifits till you do it :) (unless WIC has changed. We did that. I refused to give in though)

MamaZ 02-21-2007 02:10 PM

the only blood they had to take for my kids was just a quick prick on the finger to do an iron test once a year. My DD didn't care but my DS wow! what a chicken :giggle:

rowynne 02-21-2007 02:22 PM

I've had a kid on WIC since 1998 & the only blood test ever done was a finger prick for iron levels. ALL 3 of my kids are allergic to cows milk formula so we were able to get soy formula with NO issues (just a note from our DR) & our youngest 2 were allergic to regular cows milk after 1yr old & we were able to get Lactaid with no hassle either (my 5yr old was on lactaid until this past august & never had an issue). Now, they dont even ask for "proof" from a Dr if you want lactose free or soy. I am lactose intolerant & am able to get lactaid if I want during pregnancy.

amandaev 02-21-2007 02:32 PM

The blood test I think you are talking about is the lead test? Am I wrong? And it is just a blood test to see if your child has been subject to high levels of lead. I am not a "vaxing momma" and I dont really see any harm in the lead test. It could be helpful. I've heard stories about people who had their DC tested for lead and DC had high results which caused them to test and get rid of older doors in their house which were painted with lead paint. i dont see any big harm in it personally. Unless they are injecting something while their doing the test...

elioraimmanuel 02-21-2007 02:37 PM

I had WIC at some point w/all three kids. I didn't have a problem at all. I just told them I don't vax. Easy Peasy.

reiterin 02-21-2007 02:42 PM

I don't vax and I'm on WIC. Haven't had a problem.