Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   how much to pay babysitter? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101775)

sesa70 02-21-2007 01:01 PM

how much to pay babysitter?

Whats the going rate these days? :laugh:

There is an awsome high school girl who worked at Celestes summer program last year and I am thinking of hiring her for a couple of hours once a week or every other week so dh and I can get some alone time. Celeste has special needs, and this girl is incredible with her. But there is two of them, Amira is 15 months. What should we pay?

football_cheer_mom 02-21-2007 01:02 PM

Re: how much to pay babysitter?

I pay $25 a day per kid, but if its just a couple of hours maybe $5 an hour? That's my guess.

Nikki

mrsbehaven007 02-21-2007 01:06 PM

5 bucks an hour... for 1 kid.. ( for a high school sweetheart )

but if she is super great ..and has experience.. maybe more

when you start getting a nanny type person .. 10 -15 an hour per kid ..

LuAnn 02-21-2007 02:19 PM

I think you would need to check the going rate in your area...here for a few hours (YES even highschool kids) its 10hr for 1 child...yes 10hr for 1 kid, needless to say dh and I have NEVER gotten a sitter for ds (thank God for my friend, and we trade sitting jobs)

beenwaitingalongtime 02-21-2007 02:26 PM

Holy cow! Am I just living in a really pricey place, or what? Now, I'm a teacher and have a ridiculous amt. of experience, but when I sat for an autistic boy and his sister, I got $15/hr. I was thinking $10 for the two, given the physical demands of moving/changing Celeste. Of course, that'd vary if you live in a place where the cost of living is cheaper...

Cryssie 02-21-2007 02:28 PM

Around here it is about the same as Min wage. My boys go to bed at 9 so they don't have much to do about then 9 (if we went out at night) .

Most of the people I use were people I know that work at a daycare/preschool. They get paid $7ish an hour so I use that. They normally have more then one child (8 toddlers) so that rate is fine for just watching my two. They have been OK with that.

cooperden 02-21-2007 02:31 PM

Wow, maybe I need to move to one of those areas to get better pay for daycare! LOL.

I do daycare for 2 different families. One is a little "better off" than the other but both moms work because they have to.... One family pays me $3 per hour per kid and they have 4 kids. The other family pays me 20$ per day per kid.

Around here $3/hr/kid seems to be pretty average

HTH

Cryssie 02-21-2007 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperden (Post 749464)
Wow, maybe I need to move to one of those areas to get better pay for daycare! LOL.

I do daycare for 2 different families. One is a little "better off" than the other but both moms work because they have to.... One family pays me $3 per hour per kid and they have 4 kids. The other family pays me 20$ per day per kid.

Around here $3/hr/kid seems to be pretty average

HTH

I think you get paid more then I did! :) That was $7.. but not for a kid.. just a flat rate! If my husband did not work from home, I would take on a few more children and work from home.

Shawna_L 02-21-2007 06:16 PM

I would ask her what she is expects to get paid, and see how it stacks up according to other momma's in your area. I think it really depends on where you live and the specific person doing the childcare.

Many years ago...LOL...when I was in high school I charged anywhere between $7-$10/hour. My rate depended on how many children were in the home, the age of the children, and how much I liked the family. :blush:

ipumpkin 02-21-2007 06:25 PM

I haven't had any highschoolers watch my kids, but the college girls that I've had wouldn't take less than $10/hour. I would ask her what she usually gets paid. I'm always shocked at how much it costs for someone to come and watch my tv while they chat on the phone!