Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   2010 Due Daters (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   My 4 year old REALLY wants to know how the baby get's out... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1017958)

Esthersmommy 06-28-2010 12:17 PM

My 4 year old REALLY wants to know how the baby get's out...

Anyone know of any tasteful video's introducing children to childbirth:headscratch:

I don't want to just tell her where babies come out without any context, I know my daughter and the next thing I know she will be pretending she is in labor and pulling a baby doll out from her skirt :blush:

But... I can't avoid the question any longer!!!

Chrijodo 06-28-2010 12:35 PM

Re: My 4 year old REALLY wants to know how the baby get's out...

I am no help. I took the cop out and told him that the girls were going to come out of my tummy by a big cut in my belly that the doctors would make *which is true since I'm having a c-section*.

Esthersmommy 06-28-2010 12:41 PM

Did he handle it ok? The concept of the cut etc???

So far I have told her that ' Don't worry, the Midwives will help the baby come out in a special way'

Another time I turned it into a joke as asked her where did she think, and I'd point to every other hole in my body (other that my bottom and lady parts!!!! ) - She thought it was hysterical and finally got distracted!

jessesgirl 06-28-2010 12:46 PM

Awww :giggle2:

DS just wants to know when the heck she's getting here! LOL

Chrijodo 06-28-2010 12:47 PM

He handled it fine. He asked a few more question, was a bit concerned about me having a big boo boo and needing a band-aid etc but I just answered him honestly and on his level and then he lost interest.

I would just answer her honestly though. That the baby will come out of your tummy by pushing him out through your lady parts or whatever she calls it. They yes it will hurt but that's okay because it's what mommy's are made to do etc.

Hunny Bunny Baby 06-28-2010 12:48 PM

When I had Madeline, Bella had just turned 3. She actually stayed in bed with me throughout labor....it was fun, we colored & all sorts of stuff! It just so happened that when it came time to push my mom had taken her down to the cafeteria for lunch. She got back to my room just moments after Maddie made her entrance. We never really explained where she came from exactly, but since she kept telling people that her baby sister came out of Mommy's butt I think she was on the right track.....well kind of :giggle:

I don't think you need to go into any great detail, but I am all for telling kids the truth within reason. I like your idea of a "special way" but if she pushes for more information I think telling her that babies come from their mommy's vagina is just fine. My dd is fully aware that labor is painful & was fine with handling that too.

4littlenorskes 06-28-2010 12:57 PM

Keep it simple! When they ask questions no need to get into an in depth detailed discussion!:giggle: When our conversation came up; I said mine came out of my tummy. But where? God has a special place for babies to make there grand entrance!!

bellasmama1005--that's great!!:giggle2:

Joyful Tie Dyes 06-28-2010 12:59 PM

Assuming you have taught her the proper words for her body parts I'd simply tell her the truth, that the baby will come out of your vagina.

Ali 06-28-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earthmamatobe (Post 10605911)
Assuming you have taught her the proper words for her body parts I'd simply tell her the truth, that the baby will come out of your vagina.

I second this. My boys both wanted to know when I was prego w/ Finn. They already knew the terms so I told them it would come out of my vagina. My older son replied with, "So the baby comes out where you pee??!! Yuck!" So I had to do a little more explaining to help him understand the anatomy involved. My dh's nursing books helped because it has illustrations showing how a baby is born.

Lucysmomma 06-28-2010 01:19 PM

Or you could tell her the baby will come out of your birth canal if that's more comfortable for you :) It would be for me I think. Explain that she's in your uterus and when shes ready it will open up slowly and she will slide down and into the world! A simple picture might help too. And imaginative play is so wonderful for children her age! I have read lots of stories of little girls (and boys!) playing "birth" after they have seen one or learned about it. I wouldn't discourage that if it were my kiddos!!! I agree though, keep your description upbeat and very simple. I bet you could find a book if you really wanted one, but I bet she would be happy with your short explanation and a picture. If she wants details I would tell her all about how amazing your uterus is and the home it make for her new baby brother/sister, you could even share with her about the placenta and how it "feeds" the baby. Those things can be related to her life and so I think more easily understood. Good luck!! Let us know how it goes :)