Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Birth Stories and Announcements (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   My unbelievable VBAC story! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1019555)

4boys1girlforme 06-30-2010 12:44 PM

My unbelievable VBAC story!

I was going to my OB appointments every Friday and was checked and told at my 37, 38, & 39+ week appointment that I was not dilating- she told me that she couldn't even strip me because I wasn't even a fingertip dilated. At my 39w 5d appt- she said she couldn't even feel my cervix- I had been checking myself at home as well and couldn't find it either. I guess she assumed if I was so high that she couldn't find my cervix that I was not progressing. At this appointment my OB said that the baby was up higher and wanted to get an ultrasound to check and see if she was still head down. The baby barely passed the weekly non stress test so I had to have a biophysical profile ultrasound- the first thing the tech checked was my amniotic fluid level- which measured 3.8- not surprising since I have been induced with all 4 of my boys for low fluid- as it drops below 5- I get induced- this was the lowest my fluid had ever been and I knew immediately since I wasn't dilating (I am trying for a VBAC and my OB will only induce if she can break my water and place a monitor before starting pitocin) that I would be scheduled for a c-section that day- I started crying right away. I was sent to the hospital and my section was scheduled for 5pm that day. I had eaten a granola bar to try to pass my NST and had to wait 6 hours before surgery.
I went to the hospital and was crying as I was led back to the birth center.
My nurses started to come in and get my admission paper work done. I even joked with my first nurse that all I needed was for her to slip me some pitocin and she said- I wouldn't have a job tomorrow if I did that- I asked her if she could check me because I was contracting pretty regularly on my own- she asked my OB who said she would check right before the section to make sure. My next nurse to come in was at 3pm and she was going to be with me during the section and got off at 7- she had 4 children- her first a totally natural birth- her second an emergency section, and 2 VBAC's. I told her I would do anything to get out of a section and said I would have a foley bulb if they were able to place it to start me dilating. She said to me quietly that she could say I demanded to be checked and I could see her charting "patient strongly desires VBAC". I guess my OB likes everything to be done her way and the nurses are somewhat afraid of doing anything that would make her unhappy.
This nurse was willing to check me so I mentioned that if possible I wouldn't mind if she stripped me- she said she didn't think stripping was effective but did think that stretching helps. My cervix was so posterior that I had to put my hands under my bottom for her to reach it but when she found it- she said I would say you are 1 1/2 to a 2 cm and she could stretch me further- she stretched me for about 5 minutes. She had to report to my OB who was arriving at the hospital to perform my section that I was dilating- my OB wanted the head nurse to check me to make sure that I was dilating- she did and said I was 2-3cm. My OB came in a few minutes later and said I was a stretchy 3cm- she broke my water and placed the monitor. My section was canceled at 3:45 and the induction was on! All this was due to a nurse that did the right thing to advocate for her patient! I will always remember what she did for me.
Apparently I was going into labor on my own anyways and with my water broken I was contracting and seemed like I might just continue to dilate. I got checked 2 hours later and was only 3 1/2cm and still really high- baby was at -2 station. They started pitocin and contractions went from being reasonable to unbearable- I finally gave into the epidural a few hours later when I found out that I was only at 5cm and it hurt so bad to be checked. Things seemed to move slowly after the epidural and I seemed to be stuck at about 5 for several hours. I got on my hands and knees for about a half an hour and then was able to sit up leaning forward with my feet on either side of the bed and sway back and forth for about an hour or so. At this point the epidural started to wear off and I wasn't sure I wanted to redose as I thought I might be close to delivering- I was 5 1/2 but the baby was lower. I struggled through another 30-45 minutes and got the epidural redosed- I was checked about a half hour later and was 9 1/2- my nurse said she is going to turn off the pitocin and give the doctor a fighting chance to get there before I delivered.
A half hour later the OB on call for my practice arrived- she introduced herself and shook my hand and I was pushing. I was able to get the baby to crown on the first contraction and delivered her on the next. I delayed cord clamping but only about 3 minutes as the baby was purple. She pinked up quickly and is perfect!
I can't begin to tell you how happy I was to have had my second VBAC!

doubleddog 06-30-2010 12:55 PM

Re: My unbelievable VBAC story!

WOW! That's an amazing story! Way to fight for it mama!

sillymama 06-30-2010 01:13 PM

I'm so glad that nurse helped you out. Its not everyday that one hears birth stories that go from a C-section to a vaginal birth!

shanree 06-30-2010 02:02 PM

I am so happy for you I cried! You need to write a letter to the hospital letting them know what a wonderful nurse she was, I'd also write a letter to the local paper too... She needs recognition for that. Maybe some other nurses would see it and start advocating for their patients more.

cacasey1981 06-30-2010 02:19 PM

Awesome experience! I love reading VBAC stories - I've nver had a c/s but VBAC stories are just empowering

maggiewobbles 06-30-2010 02:23 PM

Congratulations, Mama!!!

jefesita 06-30-2010 02:32 PM

congrats! YAY for a good nurse!

homebirthmom 06-30-2010 02:58 PM

what a perfect story :)
not sure why they would give pit on a previous c sectioned mom, but so glad you got your vaginal birth
WOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!

ciles 06-30-2010 03:15 PM

so happy for you!

mama2Holden 06-30-2010 03:16 PM

Congrats! What a great story. I'm hoping for a vbac myself. Thanks for the inspiration.