Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   what do you make for your kids school lunches? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1024486)

stephy4632 07-07-2010 10:49 PM

what do you make for your kids school lunches?

My Oldest will be starting Kindergarden this coming fall. She is extremely picky so I know with out a dought will be packing her lunch M-F. I just purchased the laptop lunch system (bag , two bento box kits , and there drink containers plus a few old navy sports top drink bottles).

so feel free to share what you make , pic`s if you have some , links , good books anything that may help.

would love to get suguestions on new different foods to try with her I think she is really going to open up to eatting in school around all the other kids.

Miles 07-07-2010 10:57 PM

Re: what do you make for your kids school lunches?

We actually take our DD#1 shopping and she gets to pick out what she wants herself. So she will pick out what fruit she wants, what snack she wants, what she wants on her sandwich things like that.

2queens&1princenmyhouse 07-07-2010 11:02 PM

I do a lot of leftovers. I have a daycare and I usually set aside some of the dc lunch and send it with my girls the next day. They usually get a hot item (casserole, buttered noodles, spaghetti, etc.), a piece of fruit, and a raw veggie (carrots, grape tomatoes, and broccoli are the big ones here). I also send a bread item (crackers, mini muffins, quick bread), but the kids get a morning snack and most of the time I think they eat that for snack.

In the event that I don't have leftovers, a wrap works well (tortilla, deli meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato all wrapped up) or bean burrito.

armywife2002 07-07-2010 11:07 PM

my ds has a dairy allergy, so i send his food to daycare... 90% of the time he gets leftovers. if we dont have any, or if we ate out, or he didnt like it, or whatever, then i'll make him a sunbutter sandwich (no nuts at school) or some egg or chicken salad, or a quesadilla or something easy like that. he always has a fruit and a veggie of some kind too

stephy4632 07-07-2010 11:13 PM

what is sun butter? sound good lol just have no clue what it is. We are ok taking peanut butter to school they sent us a note with her school packet saying that kids with allergies have a special area in the cafe so they are not near the peanuts in other kids lunches

I should mention that my DD will not eat meat of any kind we have tried and tried she is just dead set on not eatting it :(

also how are you ladies that send warm items in keeping them warm?

Ali 07-07-2010 11:22 PM

I love making DS' lunch! Here is what I put in his lunch box.

1) Sandwich cut in 4ths- PBJ, Turkey, Ham, Roast Beef, etc. Always on wheat bread and made w/o mayo. He loves tomatoes so if we have any I put it between the meat so it doesn't get the bread soggy. I don't usually send leftovers because at his age at school they don't really have refrigerators or microwaves to heat things up.
2) A fruit- Apple, Banana, bag of grapes or cut up orange. But sometimes I do natural applesauce, manderin oranges, a fruit cup or a package of fruit snacks from Just Tomatoes.
3) One other side (either a veggie or a dairy, sometimes chips)- my sons favorites are a) yogurt (I buy the yokids organic yogurt squeezers and freeze them, by lunch time they are unfrozen and cold per my son), b) cooked carrots (DS only likes them cooked), c) string cheese (have to use a cold pack if I pack string cheese), d) a bag of sun chips, e) airpopped popcorn.
4) Drink- If the side is a diary item I pack him ice water which he loves. I use a foogo thermos straw bottle and it is awesome at keeping stuff hot or cold! If the side is not a dairy item than he buys milk from school.

I sometimes put a treat in with lunch as well. For instance if he has a bunch of candy from a holiday or event I put a piece of candy in his lunch. Hope this helps!

armywife2002 07-07-2010 11:27 PM

sun butter is like peanut butter, but its made with sunflower seeds... i love it :) but we tend to save the sunbutter for school and eat peanut butter at home since it costs more, lol

my son doesnt get his food heated up. i leave it at room temp. i could put it in the fridge, but he doesnt really like his food ice cold. i dont worry about it sitting in his class room for 3-4 hours (i work at the center, and usually go in sometime between 8 and 9- they eat at 1130)

jtsmommy 07-09-2010 11:10 PM

I am so glad you wrote this. my DS is sooooo picky and i am worried next year for kindergarten and making his lunches each day also. if he had it his way he would eat a peanut butter sandwich every meal.

this summer we are taking lots of picnics to practice him opening his own lunch and eating it. i have resolved that he can eat healthy with me at home and i will go for convenience at school. one meal will not kill him. So we are starting small. every night we have been having noodles and he has to eat 5. then it increases. right now i have been able to put noodles and homemade chicken nuggets on his plate and walk away and he eats them. but only if they are hot. my friend has some soup type canisters that keep food hot till lunch for her kids and i need to find those. SO we have two days taken care of with that.

In our bento boxes we are doing these simple things

cheese, cut into shapes
plain tortillas
grapes
homemade muffins (he loves them and i hide many things in them.)
jello jigglers- boxed
an apple- (he thinks they clean his teeth, whatever works right?)
whole grain fishy crackers
cheezits- i know there bad but i cannot help it
pretzels

But mine likes yogurt and mandrin oranges. I wish he liked the fresh cuties oranges but he will only eat the snack cups. like i said i am trying not to stress and am going to go for easy convenience for lunches.

musicalisa 07-09-2010 11:32 PM

My daughter is one of those kids who loves to eat the same thing day after day. It was either a turkey and cheese sandwich or a bagel thin with cream cheese for her "main course" and usually some raisins or fruit snacks for a sweet treat. I'd send her with $.30 for milk sometimes, or otherwise pack a juicebox or water. The kid eats like a bird so it's pretty easy to pack for her! Snack is usually a baggie of crackers, a string cheese, or a go-gurt style Yo-Kids (she doesn't like these for lunch because they're not cold by then, but snack is in the morning).

snugwee 07-10-2010 10:52 AM

I have very picky eaters. If I let them shop for their own lunch items, they want to get a lot of junk.

I am trying to compromise by sending a treat once or twice a week but, most the rest of the time they get healthy items only.

I think that, if your kiddos are old enough, having them pack their own lunches is the best way to go because then they have the buy-in and it is good learning for them too.

:)