Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Chicken! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1027493)

AshleyLD 07-12-2010 10:47 AM

Chicken!

I have a ton of frozen chicken breast. I need help with cooking it though. I am not much of a chicken person.. So I need to yummy recipes that the kids will like. Ones with hidden veggies are a plus..

Just about the only thing i make with chicken is chicken and rice.. YUM.. :giggle: and i thought about homemade mac and cheese with chicken.. But thats how far my creative brain goes.. :giggle:

Please help!

jessicalee 07-12-2010 07:32 PM

Re: Chicken!

tonight I did the following

set crockpot at 6hrs/high
add in
chicken of your choice
1 can cream of chicken
2-3 cups chicken broth
1/2 onion diced
2-3 garliccloves minced
handful parsley
salt/pepper/red pepper flakes to your liking
at 4hrs add in a couple chopped potatoes
at 5hrs add in a cup of rice

Michelle_M 07-12-2010 11:21 PM

One of my families favorite meals.
Chicken Spaghetti.

Cut the chicken up into bite size pieces.
Beat a few eggs. Coat chicken in eggs.
Then coat chicken in a mixture of 1cup italian breadcrumbs and 1/4 cup parmesean cheese (if using plain bread crumbs, just mix in some organo and basil, if you don't have the parm cheese, that's ok, it still comes out yummy).

Fry in oil until golden brown. Drain on a wire rack, can put in the oven to keep warm if you need to .

Serve with your favorite pasta and red sauce.

Or, cook the same way as above, then serve over pasta and alfredo sauce.

Alfredo Sauce:
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Toss in 2 large (or 3 smaller) minced garlic cloves. Cook until the garilc smells yummy.

Add 2 tablespoons of flour, and whisk until well blended and bubbly.
Slowly add 1 small container of heavy cream. Whisking constantly.
When cream is hot, dump in 1 1/2 cups of parmesean cheese ( I actually use Kraft's Parm, Asiago, Romano cheese blend, the stuff that looks grated, not powdered).
Whisk constantly until cheese is melted.
Add about 1/2 cup of milk, whisking constnatly
Salt and pepper to taste.

If sauce thickens due to sitting, or it's just thicker than you like, slowly add a little extra milk a few tablespoons at a time until you like the consistancy.

Cut up a bunch of your favorite vegetables, pour a tablespoon or so of oil into a large skillet or a wok, and heat until cooked but still slightly crunchy. Toss in cooked chicken serve with rice.

With the chicken and pasta recipes listed above, you can also leave the chicken in larger pieces and prepare the same, then slice right before serving. It takes a little less work and is still great.

Bread and lightly fry the chicken like above, but only fry for about 5 minute each side. Place on a bed of cooked noodles and sauce, and finish it in the oven, at 350 for about 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

When the chicken is cooked, topp with your favorite cheese (I use mozzarella or jack) then put back in the oven until cheese is melted and lightly browned.

God bless!

Michelle_M 07-12-2010 11:22 PM

Into a hot skillet, place a tablespoon of butter, and melt. Toss in onions and mushrooms and saute. Add chicken, add a can of cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup...it's done with the chicken is cooked through. Serve with rice and veggies, or with mashed potatoes and veggies, using the extra sauce as a gravy over the potatoes.

God bless!

crystalanne79 07-13-2010 07:04 AM

chicken teriyaki!

half a cup of low sodium soya sauce
half a cup of brown sugar (not packed)
2 tablespoons of corn starch
1 tsp of ginger

bring to a gentle boil stirring almost constantly. It will start to thicken and then you pour it over about 6 chicken breasts in a casserole dish and flop them around until they are covered. Cook at 425 for about a half hour (stopping once to flip them around and baste them again). Serve with rice and steamed veggies. Soooo good! If you want to save yourself a hard dish to clean then line your casserole dish with tinfoil first.

crystalanne79 07-13-2010 07:04 AM

chicken teriyaki!

half a cup of low sodium soya sauce
half a cup of brown sugar (not packed)
2 tablespoons of corn starch
1 tsp of ginger

bring to a gentle boil stirring almost constantly. It will start to thicken and then you pour it over about 6 chicken breasts in a casserole dish and flop them around until they are covered. Cook at 425 for about a half hour (stopping once to flip them around and baste them again). Serve with rice and steamed veggies. Soooo good! If you want to save yourself a hard dish to clean then line your casserole dish with tinfoil first.

ktarsha 07-13-2010 10:08 AM

Sorry, neither of mine has veggies, but they're still yummy :)

This is my all-time favorite dish: Line a baking dish with bacon (optional, but gives a really good flavor to the sauce), and put in however many chicken pieces you want. The sauce is just cream of mushroom soup and sour cream. I usually use two or three cans of soup and a 16 ounce container of sour cream. Dump the sauce over the chicken, bake at 400 until it's done, about an hour (sometimes longer, as the sauce kind of insulates the chicken). Serve with rice - for me, it's all about the sauce on the rice, mmmm!

Another good one: Cube the chicken and dredge it in a mixture of flour, salt, pepper (and any spices or herbs you care to add). Saute a couple of cloves of garlic in butter or olive oil, then add the chicken chunks and cook them until they're crispy and cooked through.

ETA: How about chicken pot pie? That has veggies, and if your little ones won't eat chunks of veggie, I expect you could puree them and use them in the saucy part.

browneyedgrl2411 07-13-2010 10:13 AM

Chicken tacos. I just slice the chicken thin and cook in the skillet. Use the mix in the taco kit. I threw it together the other night cause we needed something FAST. My boys loved it and my oldest asked why i had never made him this before lol. You could slice up onions, carrots, bell pepper, tomato, just about anything and add to the chicken.

AshleyLD 07-13-2010 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktarsha (Post 10719948)
Sorry, neither of mine has veggies, but they're still yummy :)

This is my all-time favorite dish: Line a baking dish with bacon (optional, but gives a really good flavor to the sauce), and put in however many chicken pieces you want. The sauce is just cream of mushroom soup and sour cream. I usually use two or three cans of soup and a 16 ounce container of sour cream. Dump the sauce over the chicken, bake at 400 until it's done, about an hour (sometimes longer, as the sauce kind of insulates the chicken). Serve with rice - for me, it's all about the sauce on the rice, mmmm!

Another good one: Cube the chicken and dredge it in a mixture of flour, salt, pepper (and any spices or herbs you care to add). Saute a couple of cloves of garlic in butter or olive oil, then add the chicken chunks and cook them until they're crispy and cooked through.

ETA: How about chicken pot pie? That has veggies, and if your little ones won't eat chunks of veggie, I expect you could puree them and use them in the saucy part.

The really little ones love veggies (my almost 3 yr olds) Its my almost 7 yr old that i have a problem with :giggle: But thats a great idea about pureeing thanks!!

Everything sounds so yummy!! Thank you so much! I am going to use my crockpot tomorrow night! :D

Michelle_M 07-13-2010 04:15 PM

Tonight I put my chicken in a baking dish, added a can of cream of chicken soup, some dill, oregano, basil and celery salt. I added some chopped brocoli. Preheat oven to 350 and bake for about 30 minutes. I'll serve it with some brocoli on the side and mashed taters.

God bless!