Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daily Chat Threads (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   For the Love of Reading Daily/Weekly Chat -NEW-Come on in! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1027510)

myfrugalfunlife 07-12-2010 11:08 AM

For the Love of Reading Daily/Weekly Chat -NEW-Come on in!

Do You Like to Read? Do you want to make reading a bigger part of your life OR are you already an avid reader but want someplace to discuss books and get book recommendations?
WELCOME!:welcome:

This will be a daily/weekly thread where we’ll set personal goals for reading, as well as discussing books. This also can be a place for you to keep track of how many/what books you’re reading to your kids, if you’d like :)

How to Get Started:

First set a goal for yourself! You can challenge yourself to read a certain amount of pages or books per month/year. This is OPTIONAL-if you don’t want a goal that’s fine. Having one is just a tool to help some of us make sure we’re reading but its not a requirement to join in :)
If you do decide to set a personal goal you can post it here but you DON'T have to if you'd rather keep it private-this is NOT a competition and there is no prize for reading the most books lol!
Do whatever YOU want to do and most of all HAVE FUN with reading!

Second-get a book and start reading! When you’re done with a book it would be great if you could talk about it here-you don’t have to do a chapter by chapter summary but just a sentence or two about why you like/dislike it. This will help others find new books to enjoy themselves :)

And feel free to join in at any time! I’ll start a new thread every week so it doesn’t get to overwhelming.

That’s about it :)

sahmofthree 07-12-2010 11:23 AM

Re: For the Love of Reading Daily/Weekly Chat -NEW-Come on in!

Yay! Now that I know the "rules" lol, I'm definitely in!! Reading is my #1 passion, (reality TV is #2! :giggle:)

Right now I'm re-reading the third book of the Mortal Instruments series, I'm hoping to get it done in the next couple of days as I bought some new books over the weekend and am anxious to crack them open! Up next is either the Harry Potter series or the Darkest Powers series by Kelley Armstrong. I'll most likely go with the Darkest Powers series since it's not soo huge and intimidating!

myfrugalfunlife 07-12-2010 11:24 AM

I'm so excited to start this! Remember setting a goal is OPTIONAL! But for me I think it will be a great way to keep me on track with reading :)
My personal goal is going to be:
4 fiction books and 1 non-fiction book each month
3 books a day to my kids
an ongoing reading of a chapter book to my oldest dd. This is something new I'm going to start doing! I'm not setting a specific goal because I don't know how long it will take to get through a book reading out loud but my goal is to always have one going :)

What I'm Reading Now:
I'm going to start with non-fiction. A while back someone anonymously mailed me 'Your Money or Your Life' by Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin. I'm going to start it when kids go down for nap time (dishes can wait lol!) :)
As for the chapter book with my dd-I just picked up 'The Storm' by Cynthia Rylant. We're going to start it this afternoon before quiet time.

silverlightstar 07-12-2010 01:47 PM

I tend to read a lot of theology and history, so finding a free copy of The Treatise of Relics by John Calvin (for her Nook) made this mama very happy. :D

iris0110 07-12-2010 02:01 PM

Ok I want to get in too. My ultimate goal is just to buckle down and get through the novels my friend lent me instead of getting caught up in the manga LOL. But I just love reading and talking about books.

So my goal setting out is 50,000 pages in 1year of personal reading. I will most likely focus on manwha/manga/fiction novels. Since that is what I typically read. I plan to start tomorrow with Ai No Kusabi volume 2 and work through all of that series that I own (vol 1 is out of print and I can't get it).

My second goal is to read 20,000 pages to my children both chapter books and picture books. Just pleasure reading, I will not be counting school related reading (home school stuff). We are finishing Bunnicula and will move on to Howliday Inn. I intend to do the entire Bunnicula series from James Howe before moving on to something else. This was my favorite series as a child (well a toss up between this and Silver Chief). Proof that my vampire obsession started young. LOL

I would like to make an additional small goal for my oldest son/myself. I want to set the goal of my listening (without getting frustrated) while he reads one short story or one chapter of a longer story 5 days a week. I will keep you up dated on how that goes.

LaFlaca1226 07-12-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iris0110 (Post 10713176)
I would like to make an additional small goal for my oldest son/myself. I want to set the goal of my listening (without getting frustrated) while he reads one short story or one chapter of a longer story 5 days a week. I will keep you up dated on how that goes.

Oh mama, I love this goal! When DD learns to read, I'm going to do that too.

My goals are pretty sad, but I have a REALLY hard time finding time to read, so I want to start small so I don't get discouraged.

MY GOALS:
- 70 pages a week for myself
- 10 children's books a day to read to DD

I'm starting by just finishing the book I'm reading right now, which is Hypnobirthing by Marie Mongan. I'm almost done, and I think next I'll read Siblings without Rivalry (I forget who it's by).

charise820 07-12-2010 02:36 PM

Yay!

ok my goal...to finish Ina May's childbirth book this month.
and to read one of the books I have at the house. I have a ton....just can't pick can i ask you ladies for help.

And as much as I hate reading out loud I want to start reading alice in wonderland to the kids (at least 5 pages). and trying to start Harry potter to my oldest (with him I think taking turns to read)

This is for the rest of July...if I had to pick pages I would like at least 200 a week

charise820 07-12-2010 02:50 PM

I shared this in O/T but i thought you ladies would like it too. there are 5 best selling books up for grabs that are free till july 14

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...1#post10713591

has more info

myfrugalfunlife 07-12-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charise820 (Post 10713510)
Yay!

ok my goal...to finish Ina May's childbirth book this month.
and to read one of the books I have at the house. I have a ton....just can't pick can i ask you ladies for help.

And as much as I hate reading out loud I want to start reading alice in wonderland to the kids (at least 5 pages). and trying to start Harry potter to my oldest (with him I think taking turns to read)

This is for the rest of July...if I had to pick pages I would like at least 200 a week

I started reading a chapter book to my dd today for the first time and it was so awkward lol! And it will be a lesson in patience for me....... no I do not know how the dog climbed up the ship steps, no I do not know why the cat is wearing clothes, no I do not know why the cat lives by the sea when cats don't like getting wet...........:whoa: :giggle:

charise820 07-12-2010 05:10 PM

qustions don't bother me, but I tend to studder and really mess up when reading out loud but don't have that problem reading to myself.