Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Your Go-To Meal For New Mama's (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1027607)

love2bmommy 07-12-2010 12:55 PM

Your Go-To Meal For New Mama's

I think I saw a thread like this before, but I can't find it now.

I'm wondering what meals you usually take to new mama's. Right now, I'm looking for something easy because we're getting ready for vacation, but I want to bring this friend a meal before we leave. Something that doesn't take up tons of time, but still says "We love you", KWIM?

Thanks!

pbresolin 07-12-2010 02:25 PM

Re: Your Go-To Meal For New Mama's

Was it this:

I'm about to do "recovery meals" for four mamas. I'll buy....

4 whole fryer chickens, 4 small pouches of instant potatoes, 4 bags of frozen peas, 2 bags of wide noodles, 2 bags of frozen sliced carrots, 1 pack of celery, and 1 box of saltines (with 4 sleeves of crackers inside), chicken bullion cubes.

Then at home I'll divide the noodles into four 1-quart Ziploc bags, wash and slice the celery, and divide the carrots and celery into four 1-quart Ziploc bags.

Then I'll pack each family a bag with a frozen chicken, 1 pouch potatoes, 1 bag peas, 1 bag noodles, 1 bag carrots and celery, and 1 sleeve of saltines and a bullion cube.

Lastly, I'll attach the following tag...

Here’s something to help you as you get back on your feet!

You’ll find in this bag…

1 whole chicken
1 chicken bullion cube
1 bag instant potatoes
1 bag frozen peas
1 bag wide noodles
1 bag sliced carrots & celery
1 sleeve saltine crackers

Day One
Put the frozen chicken in a crock pot in the morning (or bake on 350 for 1-1/2 hours).
Add 1 cup water and sprinkle with seasoning salt & pepper.
Cook all day on low.
30 minutes before dinner, prepare potatoes and steam peas.
Serve white meat chicken with veggies.
Save remaining meat for the second day.

Day Two
30 minutes before dinner make 8 cups of chicken broth.
Bring broth to a boil over medium heat.
Add noodles, leftover chicken, and veggies and boil 10 minutes.
When the noodles and veggies are tender turn the off heat.
Serve with crackers.

These recipes assume that you have a crock pot and chicken broth on hand. If not, contact me for alternate instructions!

Name (phone number)

You could also do this and keep one of the four "sets" of food for your own family! (oh and the alternate instructions are to bake the chicken in the oven instead, and then I just bring them chicken broth if they don't have it)

love2bmommy 07-12-2010 02:29 PM

I've never seen that before, but that's awesome! Thanks so much!

Michelle_M 07-12-2010 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbresolin (Post 10713387)
Was it this:

I'm about to do "recovery meals" for four mamas. I'll buy....

4 whole fryer chickens, 4 small pouches of instant potatoes, 4 bags of frozen peas, 2 bags of wide noodles, 2 bags of frozen sliced carrots, 1 pack of celery, and 1 box of saltines (with 4 sleeves of crackers inside), chicken bullion cubes.

Then at home I'll divide the noodles into four 1-quart Ziploc bags, wash and slice the celery, and divide the carrots and celery into four 1-quart Ziploc bags.

Then I'll pack each family a bag with a frozen chicken, 1 pouch potatoes, 1 bag peas, 1 bag noodles, 1 bag carrots and celery, and 1 sleeve of saltines and a bullion cube.

Lastly, I'll attach the following tag...

Here’s something to help you as you get back on your feet!

You’ll find in this bag…

1 whole chicken
1 chicken bullion cube
1 bag instant potatoes
1 bag frozen peas
1 bag wide noodles
1 bag sliced carrots & celery
1 sleeve saltine crackers

Day One
Put the frozen chicken in a crock pot in the morning (or bake on 350 for 1-1/2 hours).
Add 1 cup water and sprinkle with seasoning salt & pepper.
Cook all day on low.
30 minutes before dinner, prepare potatoes and steam peas.
Serve white meat chicken with veggies.
Save remaining meat for the second day.

Day Two
30 minutes before dinner make 8 cups of chicken broth.
Bring broth to a boil over medium heat.
Add noodles, leftover chicken, and veggies and boil 10 minutes.
When the noodles and veggies are tender turn the off heat.
Serve with crackers.

These recipes assume that you have a crock pot and chicken broth on hand. If not, contact me for alternate instructions!

Name (phone number)

You could also do this and keep one of the four "sets" of food for your own family! (oh and the alternate instructions are to bake the chicken in the oven instead, and then I just bring them chicken broth if they don't have it)

That is an AWESOME idea! I'm going to cut and paste that into a word doc to use next time someone needs a meal!!!

God bless!

Michelle_M 07-12-2010 11:29 PM

I usually do a chicken and rice casserol. Quick, easy, yummy!

When Levi was born, one mama brought me a breakfast casserol, someone brought me a veggie lasagna. Both meals where HUGE and lasted like 3 days.

God bless!

pbresolin 07-13-2010 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle_M (Post 10717580)
That is an AWESOME idea! I'm going to cut and paste that into a word doc to use next time someone needs a meal!!!

God bless!

Isn't it? I can't take the credit. Another mama from here posted it but I can't remember who it was!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle_M (Post 10717585)
I usually do a chicken and rice casserol. Quick, easy, yummy!

When Levi was born, one mama brought me a breakfast casserol, someone brought me a veggie lasagna. Both meals where HUGE and lasted like 3 days.

God bless!

Would love that recipe if you want to share. :goodvibes:

Meighan 07-14-2010 01:49 PM

Shepherds pie. Easy quick, delicious and comforting. There are a ton of recipes online, and even easier if you put it in a disposable foil tray (no dishes for new mama to do, no need for you to worry about getting a dish back!)

kocho 07-15-2010 10:19 AM

Sometimes I put a roast in my crock pot with carrots and potatoes and take the whole thing over. That way I have an excuse to go back again. lol I have made lasagna before with bread and salad.