Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Avocado recipes/ideas? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1029034)

LillyIvy 07-14-2010 10:06 AM

Avocado recipes/ideas?

I've heard avocado is the perfect first food for baby, especially doing BLW since it's soft and packed full of nutrients. Which made me realize it must be a good food for anyone! Yeah, I can be slow at times...

Anyway, I've never tried it, but is there a good way to sneak it in food, or have a good recipe for it? Since I'm sure the baby won't eat a whole one in one sitting (at first anyway :giggle:), what could I do with the left overs? I know guacamole is made from it, but I've never been a big dip eater.

keonli 07-14-2010 10:44 AM

Re: Avocado recipes/ideas?

I love spreading it in turkey wraps and sandwiches, also eating it along with just a bit of salt. If you like chips and dips, you can do guacamole with tortilla chips. Mmmm!

goingfor3 07-14-2010 11:14 AM

Guacamole is good on Fajitas too!
We make California Rolls (like sushi rolls) with seaweed paper, rice, avocado, cucumber, and imitation crab. They actually make a good summer food, and DH loves them(me-not so much), so I will sometimes make them for his lunch when he works evenings.

jessicalee 07-14-2010 03:08 PM

I eat avocado slices w/ tomato slices sprinkled w/ salt,
spread on toast,
in sandwiches,
on burgers,
if you don't want to make guacamole you can just squish with salt,pepper and dip you chips or crackers

mamayogibear 07-18-2010 01:24 PM

I used yoghurt and cado for my dd's first two foods and now she eats avacadoes with anything. She'll eat it like dip with crackers or carrots, she'll eat it with brownrice and seaweed, in sandwiches etc... When she first tried it I just mashed it up with some breast milk and fed her with a spoon. Then just smashed cado and lastly I would make little balls of avacado and oatmeal in the blender to thicken it up... hope that helps some.

sjmj 07-18-2010 02:09 PM

Our family LOVES avocado!!

We slice and serve on the side with a meal or in a sandwich. We also put in salads. One favorite is to slice it with onions, green pepper, and tomato. Lay it all in a shallow dish (sometimes I use a 9" pie dish, to give you an idea) then drizzle with balsamic vinegar and add a bit of salt and pepper...yum!

Of course we do eat alot of guacamole but that is because DH makes it the best!

rtait 07-19-2010 12:32 PM

These are great ideas...I'm new to avocados and have been wondering how to eat them lol

rahhlady 07-28-2010 01:53 AM

Oh my gosh, I want an avacado now. I love them plain, sandwiches, guac. sread on burgers. Mmmm.

mrseum 07-28-2010 05:55 AM

Avocado fudgesicles. Google then, there are a bunch of recipes. I'm going to make some for DS later~ He refuses to eat veggies :( and I'm hoping this is one way to sneak them in!

chickenmonkeybaby 07-28-2010 06:30 AM

I like this for a quick lunch.....

Half an avocado and remove the pit, but leave the fruit in the peel

Fill half of the pitted avocado with crumbled bacon and blue cheese, then drizzle a small amount of EVOO over top and add a dash of pepper.

Micowave for about 30 seconds

Eat it out of the peel with a spoon.