Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Gluten Free Mamas, UNITE! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1029247)

The Fancy Pansy 07-14-2010 02:17 PM

Gluten Free Mamas, UNITE!
 
Okay, I know there are lots of us on here, and I'd love to have a central hub for us to come together, share our story of becoming GF, and share a link or two!

For those unfamiliar with Celiac disease/gluten intolerance, get familiar! Approximately 1 in 100 people in the US have Celiac disease, and 1 in 7 people worldwide suffer from a non-Celiac gluten intolerance!

I'll post my story in the next post, since it's long, and I'd like to keep this one tidy for links.


Celiac/Gluten intolerance/sensitivity info:

Here's a good "Quick Start Guide" for some basics. And here are Safe and Unsafe food lists, for a more detailed list. When I first started, I printed those off and took them to the grocery store with me. If you join the SillyYaks yahoo group, they have lots of great links and files on mainstream foods and restaurants!

Celiac Disease Foundation
Celiac Central (National Foundation for Celiac Awareness)
Celiac.com
Celiac Sprue Association

Silly Yaks (yahoo group)
American Celiac Society
Canadian Celiac Association

Recipes and more:

Gluten free godess Blog
Living Without Magazine
Cafe Press GF awareness products
General Mill's GF site

Kinnikinnick.com
Gluten Free Girl Blog

Related issues:

Mark's Daily Apple (Grain Free Living)
TACA (Talk About Curing Autism)

Anyone with good links on Autism and GF/CF diet, please post links!!

The Fancy Pansy 07-14-2010 02:23 PM

Re: Gluten Free Mamas, UNITE!
 
So...I'll start. :giggle:

In high school, I started feeling slightly fatigued and occasionally having panic attacks. Figured it was just "teenage-itis".

When I went to college, I "magically" lost 20 pounds while all my friends were gaining their "freshmen 15". I thought it was great, since I was getting married that summer. I was also suffering from severe fatigue and minor stomach upset from time to time (mostly after eating out). I was also starting to have more frequent panic attacks. At this time, was I surviving on mac n cheese, pizza, calzones, and ritz...

The next year, no longer in school, but married to a student, the weight loss had stopped, but I was still severely fatigued (to the point that I had to switch jobs), and started having joint pain, dental problems, was bruising easily, and having regular panic attacks. I still only really had stomach symptoms when we would go out, and we were living on mac n cheese and packaged casseroles.

My back and neck were bothering me severely, so I started seeing a chiropractor. As time went on and I mentioned to her the random things I was having problems with, she said that it sounded like I might have a food allergy, most likely to gluten or dairy, and linked together some of the symptoms I was having. GENIUS! :giggle:

When she mentioned a gluten allergy, I remembered that my nephew had recently been tested for Celiac (negative), and my grandpa's wife (no relation) had it. So I started poking around, and eventually decided to try a GF diet and see what happened. 3 weeks later, I felt REMARKABLY better. 3 months later, I was a different person! I went through some other allergy testing, which mostly came back negative (but explained my oral allergy syndrome), and have stayed on the diet for about 5 years now.

In the last year, my mom and both sisters have also gone GF, and discovered that a lot of the problems they were dismissing as "normal" were really due to gluten, and we are all one big happy GF family!

We don't know if DD has a gluten sensitivity yet, but we are keeping GF (except for a couple of accidents), and will do a gluten trial with her when she's old enough to tell us if her tummy hurts, etc. We definitely want to know before she starts school, but in the mean time, it's just as easy to keep her GF (except where the church nursery is involved. Whole other story, there.)

lemurkinsmommy 07-14-2010 02:47 PM

Re: Gluten Free Mamas, UNITE!
 
Here's my story :)

I've always had stomach issues, mood swings etc since I was a baby (apparently I was hospitalized several times with issues and they came up with weird reasons such as I was allergic to apple juice etc). So it kind of just became one of those "that's just the way she is" situations and I suffered through childhood etc. When I was 16 I was crazy...seriously crazy with the mood swings etc and my mom figured it was just the teenage angst thing. But around that time my Aunt was diagnosed as gluten intolerant and she noticed I had alot of the same issues as her. So she suggested to my mom that I should go off of gluten and see if it worked. My mom at the time knew absolutely nothing about gluten intolerances other then if I went off of wheat it would probably work. So she figured why not try the Atkins diet...yep the Atkins diet! So I went on the atkins diet and within a month or so I was a completely different person. Less mood swings, I was able to focus better, my stomach wasn't acting up as much. So we found a winner, thats when we started to do more research into gluten intolerances and Celiac's disease and how to manage it. I sent gluten free and through trial and error learned what I could and couldn't eat. I was lucky, another girl in my class had been a Celiac all her life, and my mom and her parents (her dad was our local doctor) chatted and it was pointing towards the fact I was a Celiac. I went gluten free and stayed pretty good with it, with trial and error and a few oops here and there. It was hard at first because we were in a small town in the middle of nowhere and there wasn't anything really for gluten free products. Our bakery though made the most amazing rice bread ever! (and still makes, sometimes when we are passing through I get some)

I learned how to cook and bake gluten free and well let's just say gluten free baking wasn't as easy as I thought. I'm finally able to produce some really awesome gluten free baked goodies 10 years later. When I was in college I started working in a kitchen and started to break out in rashes and have breathing issues. That's when I discovered that even handling bread and flour was bad for me. I break out in a horrible itchy rash right away.

I've been gluten free for 10 years now, sometimes I suffered and cheated for things I loved but lately that has changed because even trace amounts effect me poorly. We keep our little ones completely gluten free for their first year, which is actually pretty easy with mama being gluten free as well. DS was breastfed and formula fed (he was on nutramigen because of the history of Celiac's) and we put him on gluten after his first birthday. He was tested for Celiac's just after his 2nd birthday and it came back negative but there are several red flags that have popped up since then and we are putting him on a low-gluten diet for now and planning on getting him tested again in a couple years. DD is 17 months hasn't shown any signs or symptoms yet of being gluten intolerant or Celiac's and I'm not sure if that is because we are still breastfeeding (some studies say that breastfeeding delays the onset of Celiac's, something to do with the way it coats the digestive tract) or if its because she's free and clear. We're hoping for free and clear though :D we'll see once she weans.

I've learned alot about being a Celiac, and I'm constantly doing research (I'm a research junkie). I'm an asymptomatic Celaic, so I don't show some of the "classic" signs such as the weight loss, my problems are mood related, digestive related, skin and breathing related. While nursing DD I've had a crazy overactive milk supply while breastfeeding and I was told that in Europe apparently thats an indicator for them to test for Celiac's disease (not sure how credible that information is, I haven't researched the link between the two yet).

But anyways that's my rambling long story of how I came to be Gluten Free :D

p.s. I make some totally delicous gluten free waffles that even our friends who are gluten friendly have said taste better then anything they've ever had! :giggle:

lemurkinsmommy 07-14-2010 03:09 PM

Re: Gluten Free Mamas, UNITE!
 
Here's a couple good links too :)

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/ (gluten free and vegan recipes)


http://www.celiac.ca/ (for canadian celiacs!)

crystalanne79 07-14-2010 04:01 PM

Re: Gluten Free Mamas, UNITE!
 
I am not gluten-free but my dh has celiac so he is. We mainly eat fresh veggies, meats etc and haven't had too hard of an adjustment to it. He was diagnosed at age 22 because he was severely anemic and his doctor knew enough to check for that.

I do wish we had a better selection of gluten free cereals in Canada but other than that we manage.

macmemo 07-14-2010 05:01 PM

Re: Gluten Free Mamas, UNITE!
 
Hey GF mamas!


My 5 year old son is GF and it was a long road to find out what was going on with him. He was always tired. He couldn't walk more then a block with out being completely exhausted. His joints hurt him really bad and he had constant headaches and every day he had diarrhea (tmi I know) . He was not even on the growth charts. We went to every specialist in the area tiring to find out what was going on and everyone keep telling us he was just little, a late bloomer maybe. One day I was browsing the internet and I came across the blog (http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/) I started reading her story and it sounded way to familiar. So I went back to his GI doctor and asked if she thought he might have a gluten allergy or intolerance. She told me it was extremely rare and unlikely that was what was causing all of his symptoms. I wasn't convinced and I when home and started looking up GF recipes. We started eating GF the next day and in less then a week I saw a huge change in him. He had so much more energy. His headaches went away, no more waking up at night crying in pain. It was like a whole different little boy.

The Fancy Pansy 07-14-2010 05:12 PM

Re: Gluten Free Mamas, UNITE!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lemurkinsmommy (Post 10731526)
Here's a couple good links too :)

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/ (gluten free and vegan recipes)


http://www.celiac.ca/ (for canadian celiacs!)

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystalanne79 (Post 10731939)
I am not gluten-free but my dh has celiac so he is. We mainly eat fresh veggies, meats etc and haven't had too hard of an adjustment to it. He was diagnosed at age 22 because he was severely anemic and his doctor knew enough to check for that.

I do wish we had a better selection of gluten free cereals in Canada but other than that we manage.

:hugs: Do you have GF Chex up there? I eat a lot of mainstream cereal like Trix, Cocoa Pebbles, Fruity Pebbles, and I do okay with a few that only have oats (but no wheat, rye, barley). I think I'm not as sensitive as some, though.

crystalanne79 07-15-2010 12:19 PM

Re: Gluten Free Mamas, UNITE!
 
nope, no chex, nothing mainstream actually. Only health food type stores that carry a natural type of gluten free cereal and it is $8.99 a bag (close in size to a big box).

Whenever I drive to the US I bring back about 20 boxes of Chex for dh but having that much in the house does not make him ration it and he practically lives off of it.

A question for you Americans.....do you know what brand of hot dogs are gluten free, if any? We used to have a brand up here but now they have changed and are no longer gluten free. I'm planning a trip to the US in August and would love to bring some back for the freezer for when we have camp fires.

Doodlebrainette 07-15-2010 12:28 PM

Re: Gluten Free Mamas, UNITE!
 
Another GF mama (probably celiac) here! I don't have time to share my story right now, but I'll sub so I won't forget later on. :)

Oh, Nathans hotdogs are GF and one of the better brands, I think. :)

The Fancy Pansy 07-15-2010 01:02 PM

Re: Gluten Free Mamas, UNITE!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by macmemo (Post 10732305)
Hey GF mamas!


My 5 year old son is GF and it was a long road to find out what was going on with him. He was always tired. He couldn't walk more then a block with out being completely exhausted. His joints hurt him really bad and he had constant headaches and every day he had diarrhea (tmi I know) . He was not even on the growth charts. We went to every specialist in the area tiring to find out what was going on and everyone keep telling us he was just little, a late bloomer maybe. One day I was browsing the internet and I came across the blog (http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/) I started reading her story and it sounded way to familiar. So I went back to his GI doctor and asked if she thought he might have a gluten allergy or intolerance. She told me it was extremely rare and unlikely that was what was causing all of his symptoms. I wasn't convinced and I when home and started looking up GF recipes. We started eating GF the next day and in less then a week I saw a huge change in him. He had so much more energy. His headaches went away, no more waking up at night crying in pain. It was like a whole different little boy.

:hugs: So glad you found out what was going on with your DS! And thanks for the link!

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystalanne79 (Post 10738498)
nope, no chex, nothing mainstream actually. Only health food type stores that carry a natural type of gluten free cereal and it is $8.99 a bag (close in size to a big box).

Whenever I drive to the US I bring back about 20 boxes of Chex for dh but having that much in the house does not make him ration it and he practically lives off of it.

A question for you Americans.....do you know what brand of hot dogs are gluten free, if any? We used to have a brand up here but now they have changed and are no longer gluten free. I'm planning a trip to the US in August and would love to bring some back for the freezer for when we have camp fires.

:( That's no fun for the cereal!

As for hot dogs, we eat Hebrew National (they aren't certified GF, but don't have any gluten containing ingredients).


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors