Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   when I double my bread recipe it doesnt rise well...help (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1031218)

CarrieAnn0413 07-17-2010 02:40 PM

when I double my bread recipe it doesnt rise well...help

And after it is baked it is a very short loaf of bread, about half as tall as when I mix the dough for each loaf separately. It is a pain to do each loaf separately because I make 3 loaves at a time and the recipe I like calls for the dough to be kneaded for 10 minutes. That is a total of 30 min of kneading for all 3 loaves. plus 10 min each to proof the yeast. It is quite time consuming. I would like to find a way to at least double if not triple the recipe and the cut the dough into 3 separate balls to rise. any suggestions?

My recipe for 1 loaf is...
1 cup water (to proof yeast)
1 packet (or 2 1/4 tsp)active dry yeast
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup milk
2 1/2 - 3 1/2 cups flour (I use unbleached all purpose for white bread and whole wheat flour for my wheat bread. I also add about 1 tbsp honey to the wheat.)

knead 10 min let rise. roll out dough roll like a jelly roll, place in greased loaf pan, let rise another hour or til doubled. bake at 400 for 30 min.

when I double it i let it rise all in the bowl and then cut it and roll for the loaf pan separately. I wonder if I should cut the dough before 1st rise so there is more room in the bowl...hmmm....

any ideas on why my bread turns out so small?

Michelle_M 07-17-2010 02:45 PM

Re: when I double my bread recipe it doesnt rise well...help

I would try mixing it all together like you do, but then seperating it into seperate balls to rise individually. I think maybe it's just too heavy when it's all together so it's not getting a good rise.

Good luck!

God bless!

benjaminsmom 07-18-2010 10:33 PM

Have you looked into the artisan bread in 5 minutes a day book. You might like healthy breaqd in 5 minutes a day book also.
They mention in that book that there is no real need to proof the yeast these days, it rarely fails.
I would try seperating the dough before letting it rise. You may need more yeast or adjust your porportions for the whole wheat bread to get a good rise.
Good luck mama!

CarrieAnn0413 07-19-2010 08:32 PM

separating the dough before the 1st rise worked out for the loaves I made yesterday. They were a 50/50 of white and wheat flour so we'll see how the next loaf of all whole wheat goes. So far that seems to be my answer. Thanks everyone!