Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Anyone else make their own "convenience" food and freeze it? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1031501)

Terra 07-18-2010 05:45 AM

Anyone else make their own "convenience" food and freeze it?

You know all those processed pre-made things you see like PB&Js, waffles, pancakes, breakfast burritos, ect....

I don't really buy those too often and now that I've been WOH I find my time to cook less and less, especially with breakfast.

So I think I'm going to make a bunch of things like that, especially the pancakes, burritos and PB&Js. I'm thinking if I stoke my freezer with it, mornings will be easier AND they will be made with the more natural ingredients I like.

Have you seen the back of those pre-made PB&Js....?? Fully hydrogenated oils it says. HFCS...lol....My kids love PB&Js and I'd rather them have the natural kind and all fruit jelly.

Anyway, what are some things that you make ahead in batches and freeze? I would love other ideas.

VioletsMommy 07-18-2010 07:41 AM

Re: Anyone else make their own "convenience" food and freeze it?

Want ideas too....

JamieJLD 07-18-2010 07:48 AM

I've done waffles, french toast, and pancakes. I just cook a big batch on a morning when I have time and then freeze the leftovers. The best way I've found to freeze them is to lay them in a single layer in the freezer for a half hour or so until they start to freeze and then put them all in a big bag. That way they don't stick together.

I warm them up in the oven, but I'm sure the toaster would work perfectly. (No toaster here.) :)

va703 07-18-2010 11:25 AM

I've done breakfast burritos a few times, and breakfast sandiwches (like an egg mcmuffin.) Both work great and are so easy in the morning (or for lunch...or a snack....we love 'em.)

jennedwards79 07-18-2010 11:46 AM

I love to make homemade muffins to freeze, then just pop them in the toaster oven or microwave to thaw. I also make big batches of cookie dough (not a breakfast food though) and then scoop it out with a small ice cream scoop into balls and put it into a big container to freeze. Then we can just take out a couple at a time to bake in the toaster oven when we want fresh cookies :)

momtomy3 07-18-2010 06:36 PM

I pre-make muffins, pancakes, burritos, and PB&J. All work well and are our favorite breakfast foods.

Why had I not thought of the cookie dough before? So doing that this week!

Terra 07-18-2010 07:48 PM

LOVE the cookie dough idea!! Gotta do that!

kocho 07-18-2010 10:13 PM

I'll have to try some of these ideas. One thing I do like to do is when I make pancakes I use the extra batter to make onion rings. I just add paprika and salt and we're good to go!!

katie's mom 07-19-2010 01:32 PM

I pre-make pancakes, waffles, and cookie dough. I put waxed paper between the pancakes and then seal in a zipper bag for freezing. The cookie dough I form into logs and wrap in waxed paper, then we can cut and bake when we want.

I also freeze muffins, but prefer to freeze the batter to bake later. I put the papers in the muffin pan and add the batter. Pop the tray in the freezer until frozen solid and then put the "batter pucks" in a zipper bag to store in the freezer. You can just put however many of the "pucks" in the muffin pan as needed and just add a few minutes to the bake time. It keeps the weekday prep to a minimum but the muffins taste fresh baked vs. reheated.

alianora 07-19-2010 01:36 PM

Watch out for the cookie dough! I tried freezing it in balls like that once, and wouldn't you know it, frozen balls of cookie dough are even tastier than cookies! :giggle2: