Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Chore Charts & Reward Charts (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103187)

jls~Kain~Drake 02-24-2007 08:58 AM

Chore Charts & Reward Charts

So..for a long time I've been trying to figure out what kind of chore chart would work best for our family. I've seen the threads here on DS and I've also googled and looked at lots and lots of chore charts that you can buy (just to get ideas). So, I think I'm finally to the point of creating a chore chart...and I was wanting to make a reward chart to go along with it. I wanted to get some ideas :)

For the chore chart, it's going to be a daily chart. I'm going to draw or print out pictures to represent the different 'chores'. My sons are 3yo and 18mo, so I'm starting small. I think my 3yo could really benefit from this. Anyway, the different 'chores' will have a velcro piece on the back to velcro to the main board. For the reward chart, I think I want it to be a weekly thing. My question is...does anyone else have a reward chart? How does it work? Do they get something at the end? Something material at the end? A toy? Get to do something special? Get to pick dinner at the end of the week? Get an allowance? Oh, and would it be better to start on a smaller scale and have the reward chart be daily as well? and instead of getting a good mark for the day, he can get good marks throughout the day for different things and then maybe get $.05 at the end of the day or something or maybe $.01 for each good mark ...or it doesn't have to be change, ya know..maybe a sticker for each good mark or whatever. I don't know! My 3yo really likes change, stickers, TOYS (which I really DON'T want anymore of!).. I don't know, I'm kind of...lost :) :headscratch: help? :blush:

Kylie&Logan'sMommy 02-24-2007 09:14 AM

Re: Chore Charts & Reward Charts

:popcorn:

kannondicarpo 02-24-2007 09:14 AM

There was a thread with pictures and details of chore and reward charts on here. Wraphappy started it. Maybe you could do a search and look at what she had posted. The post is long but the picture are worth looking at and the descriptions of the way she does things with her charts. HTH:thumbsup:

ShayneLeMaster 02-24-2007 09:24 AM

we have one that is both ..

it's a chart across the top has days of the week...
down the left side are her "chores" many are
her chores are: make bed, clean room, feed pets,help set table, help carry in groceries, simple things like that.. there is also a spot for good behavior and being helpful...( she's 5 )

though the day as she does a thing on her chart she gets a sticker, just a simple little smiley face sticker and at the end of the week she is allowed to " cash them in" each sticker is only worth .10 a piece.. but she's 5 and on average it turns out to be about 4.00-5.00 a week so its not bad..

the reason we chose to go this way is becuase taking care of your own things we feel is not something you should be " paid" for.. like making bed, taking care of dirty clothes, picking up your own toys.. those are things she needs to do anyway kwim... but honestly we just put them on here for a .10 becuase we needed more things lol..

jls~Kain~Drake 02-24-2007 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShayneLeMaster (Post 760226)
the reason we chose to go this way is becuase taking care of your own things we feel is not something you should be " paid" for.. like making bed, taking care of dirty clothes, picking up your own toys.. those are things she needs to do anyway kwim...

That's why I am kind of on the fence with the money thing...BUT...he doesn't necessarily understand the monetary value of a penny or anything..he just likes them...like a marble or something :) So, I dunno.

And I did see wraphappy's thread...that's pretty much how I've decided to do our chore chart...I'm just not doing the other chart, the behavior chart, because we're not especially religious and I just don't think it'd fit our family. :thumbsup:

saminco 02-24-2007 10:16 AM

We used chore charts when the boys were smaller and they worked great. They would receive a sticker for completed chores and then when they got their whole chart filled (like a week or month or whatever time works for you) they would get a "treat". Sometimes it was swimming, bowling, ice cream, whatever works.

My preschooler is super onery and we have had to implement a good behavoir chart at school. He is so excited to get it filled that it has helped tremendously.:thumbsup:

jls~Kain~Drake 02-24-2007 10:32 AM

See, that's my 3yo. His...bad behavior...has really escalated in the last 2 weeks or so and...ya know...something has GOT to give. I don't like spanking, but it's something that we've had to do...and I just hate it. I really do. He really responds to structure and praising..so I'm hoping we can do something constructive with this chore/reward chart :) If not, I think I'll admit myself into the looney bin next week.

applecrunch78 02-24-2007 10:54 AM

this is what I would do............. lets say there are 5 chores a day x 7 days a weeek +35 spots for stickers at the end of the week toatal them up and if he got 20-25 out of 35 he gets a prize simple party favor types toys or stuff from dollar store as he gets better at it move chores to 30 to get a oprize then 35

each month I cut out a theme like this month I do red hearts out of construction paper and draw all types of silly faces on them if he has a goo attitide day I let him pick one to put on his door to decorate it he LOVES the idea of getting new silly face friends on his door I just stress that they are lonely and want more friends so lets help him by adding more friends each day w/ good attitudes. I let him pick his friend every moring and put it on the fridge until end of the day if he was good he gets it if his attitude was bad it goes back in the pile to try aghain another day

Ds is 6 and loves doing this

I change the friends every month like march- shamrocks- april raindrops- may flowers-june suns- july shovels..... any thing really you could do trucks or asnything hes into but just change them every month fopr variety

also make a big deal out of his door and all his friends

HTH

Kimmyann 02-24-2007 11:02 AM

Rewards don't have to be exactly material either. It could be as simple as reading an extra book at bedtime, getting a slice of bread to feed the ducks at a nearby park, or being able to help wash the car. KWIM

jls~Kain~Drake 02-24-2007 12:15 PM

Thanks for giving me some ideas ladies :)