Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Testing the WAHM Waters (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Mamas on Etsy or HyenaCart...? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1031953)

justineybean 07-18-2010 07:35 PM

Mamas on Etsy or HyenaCart...?

I have a few questions for you... I'm thinking of starting a store selling some handmade things, mostly sewn items. I want to do it right and start as if I'm planning to succeed!! :) So your suggestions and experiences are very much appreciated!

1. Do you already sell in a brick and mortar store (consignment, wholesale, retail, or otherwise)?

2. Is this sort of a trial run before you start your own website or are you planning to go all in and stock the store up?

3. Did you register your business with your local county clerk's office for "doing business as" or some other type of license before you got started?

4. Any other advice?

4. If you already have an Etsy or HC store... give me the link! :) I'd love to take a look!!

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

justineybean 07-20-2010 03:46 PM

Mamas on Etsy or HyenaCart...?

-

rahhlady 07-21-2010 01:45 AM

Re: Mamas on Etsy or HyenaCart...?

1. Do you already sell in a brick and mortar store (consignment, wholesale, retail, or otherwise)?
Nope
2. Is this sort of a trial run before you start your own website or are you planning to go all in and stock the store up?
If i can get a good following and get better at what I make I plan on going all into online stores.
3. Did you register your business with your local county clerk's office for "doing business as" or some other type of license before you got started?
Nope, it isn't doing that great so far, no need.

4. Any other advice?
Etsy is really hard to get started in unless you have a following already. There is SUCH a competitive market.
4. If you already have an Etsy or HC store... give me the link! I'd love to take a look!!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/sarahsbabyemporium

justineybean 07-21-2010 07:03 AM

Thanks mama!! Good luck with your shop, I hope business picks up soon. You have such cute items! I :wub: ed you!

Mama'sSewingRoom 07-21-2010 08:35 AM

1. Do you already sell in a brick and mortar store (consignment, wholesale, retail, or otherwise)? No, but I do plan to visit and peddle my wares to some boutiques in the near future.

2. Is this sort of a trial run before you start your own website or are you planning to go all in and stock the store up? Pretty much.

3. Did you register your business with your local county clerk's office for "doing business as" or some other type of license before you got started? No not yet.

4. Any other advice? Advertise like crazy and take good pictures.

4. If you already have an Etsy or HC store... give me the link! I'd love to take a look!!

My etsy: MamasSewingRoom.etsy.com
My congo store on Hyena cart: http://hyenacart.com/onestore.php?vid=3790&category=6

Good Luck Mama!

linzwigz 07-22-2010 01:22 PM

Yes, I do consignment w/ the local cloth diaper store

The consignment kind of feel into my lap. The CD store sends out e-mails and happen to put something about looking for WAHM to do consignments and I e-mailed them back and they were interested. My bows have only been there for about 2 weeks now. I'm not sure weather or not to start up my own website. Right now I'm kind of laying low and selling what I have before investing anymore money.

No

4. Any other advice?

No, sorry I'm still pretty new at this myself but best of luck to you!

I do have an etsy but am accually closing it down b/c I changed the name of my business. Here is the link but I have all of my stuff on my fb page. http://www.etsy.com/shop/Clairesbowtique

justineybean 07-22-2010 02:44 PM

Thanks mamas! These are great suggestions... I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. Good luck with your businesses! :)

Keep 'em coming please!!

linzwigz: I love the bows! Makes me wish I had a little girl who could wear them!

Mama'sSewingRoom: I love your clothesline embroidery!! I'm going to heart you on Etsy!

hunnabee 07-25-2010 12:35 PM

no, I am just getting started so I think starting with the online store is easier and eventually I will try to go that route

I am mostly going to sell through etsy, I have actually sold the most through testing on diaper swappers though

no, but once I get a few more months of experience as a wahm I probably will

4. Any other advice?

try offering testers on diaper swappers to get feedback on your products, I have gotten some really great input this way

www.etsy.com/shop/Lovealambs and my regular informational site www.lovealambs.com

good luck!

justineybean 07-27-2010 07:57 AM

Thanks hunnabee! I also think tat is a great idea to have a website with all of your information but linked to etsy so you don't have to fool with shopping cart, etc. on your own yet. Good luck with your business! :)

PlumpDiapers 08-06-2010 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justineybean (Post 10761152)
I have a few questions for you... I'm thinking of starting a store selling some handmade things, mostly sewn items. I want to do it right and start as if I'm planning to succeed!! :) So your suggestions and experiences are very much appreciated!

No, but I'm going to look into it

I have a website & my own HC that are both down right now. I'm stocking a congo & between that and customs on facebook & cafemom, I haven't had a chance to restock my own store.

Yes, I'm all registered and legal.

4. Any other advice?

Test, test, test. Take care of your customers

4. If you already have an Etsy or HC store... give me the link! :) I'd love to take a look!!

The congo I stock on: hyenacart.com/cuties. I am PLUMP Diapers.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

YW!!