Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   International (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Anyone in France? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1032114)

Cydista 07-19-2010 04:02 AM

Anyone in France?

Hello all, I am an American, currently in the UK but just learned that we will be moving to France in 2 months. Of course, this is happening just after my son and I get back from a month Stateside, and we are expecting a baby in November. Fun and games!

I need to get all my ducks in a row and am wondering who's in France! Also, if anyone happens to know of a diaper service in Brest (29- Finistere) that'd be AMAZING. There don't seem to be many of those in France in general, and of course, none where we're going. We're going to be in temporary housing until we can buy and move into a house, so I'm not sure what sorts of laundry facilities I'll have. I'd love to not have to make the trips to a laudromat with a newborn and 2 YO in tow!

And, what resources are there for green parenting? There's a wonderful magazine here in the UK called "Green Parenting"...I'd love a French equivalent (the resources listed in GP are fantastic...and what a great way to get my French up to speed).

Thanks in advace! Looking forward to meeting you all.

Susan

frenchmom 10-13-2010 02:01 PM

Re: Anyone in France?

Hello Susan !
I m Aurore, french mommy of 6 !
I'll search you a diaper service near Brest (it will be more easy for me ;)
I don't know if it does exist in this town, but I know there is some of them in France.
For the magazine of green parenting, I'll give you a link for "grandir autrement".
It's the only one very interested, there is another in press store, but those one are just "marketing" :(
Best regards, Aurore

Cydista 10-14-2010 06:23 AM

Merci Aurore!

I did do a search, and although there are some diaper services in Finistere, the one in Brest seems to have gone out of business. Plus, we're living about 20 minutes to the west of Brest, and no-one seems to do any deliveries out here (besides those associated with La Poste). If you do find anything, that'd be great! You can PM me, it's probably more appropriate.

I did find Grandir Autrement, a friend here told me about it just two days ago! You're right, it is what I was looking for, and I have subscribed. That'll be good for my French, too! You're right, everything I found at the supermarche aren't worth the €.

Mon francais est 'en developpement', mais merci beaucoup pour me repondre! C'est un plasir de faire votre connaisance.

Susan

osteomaman 10-14-2010 01:56 PM

Hi Susan!
Welcome in France!:yay:
I'm a french mommy of 2.
You can find some information here: bulle de coton
It's a frensh association :thumbsup:
Best regards,
Pascale

Cydista 10-15-2010 11:16 AM

Hi Pascale! I just had a look, and it looks like a very interesting (and promising site).

Thank you for sharing that!

Best,
Susan

mom in france 11-13-2010 11:52 AM

Hi there
Welcome to France! Did you have your baby? I'm a sucker for newborns ;) I'm Canadian and my husband is French. I hope you are all settled in and that things are going well. Let me know if you need anything.

michdeva 11-15-2011 09:10 AM

Hello,

I am also in France (Aix-en-Provence). I am expecting my 1st baby this coming May (2012). Is there anyone who lives down here in the south and is interested in natural birth, cloth diapering, etc.? I'd love to meet up and see if you could offer me more insights in to the French way of natural birth, cloth diapering, and so forth!

Merci!
Deva

michdeva 11-15-2011 10:05 AM

Oh also...
What type of wash powder/liquid (~lessive) do you use when washing your cloth diapers and where do you buy it here in France? Do you order it from a website online or find it at Bio stores? Do you use different soap for different material (i.e. for bamboo, cotton, microfiber, etc.)?
Thank you!

Cydista 11-18-2011 02:22 AM

Hi!

Congratulations!!!!

See if there's a Bebe au Naturel group near you. I found one here and met lots of like-minded women there. If that doesn't exist see if there's an ecological organisation, our Bebe au Naturel just merged with one and it's been great. The women I've met through this have become great friends and founts of information. Also the magazine that someone mentioned in an earlier post- Grandir Autrement...they've started a "petits annonces" section. It's mostly people loo0king to start schools, but you might find something there. I just got my most recent issue and haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I've had a difficult time finding the French online forums, but maybe you'll have better luck.

In terms of laundry, I do SOOOO much of that that it needs to be easy. So I use the same detergent for everything. I do, however wash my diapers in two separate loads. We use FuzziBunz, so the outer, PUL parts get washed alone, on 40 (I've had problems with the PUL separating with any higher temp) and the microfibre inserts, along with the bamboo doublers, get washed at 60 (or 90 if I'm feeling that they need it).

I use Ecover, not delicate even, just regular. My favourite brand from the US just isn't available here, but I find that Ecover does the job and doesn't have all the perfums and things. I do get it at an organic coop (BioCoop), and at least here in Brest, it's not sold in the big supermarchés. You can probably order it online, in the UK I did that and saved lots of money, but I used to buy it in bulk (50L) and haven't found that here. If you do, PLEASE let me know!!! I can ask my friends what they use, too. I haven't looked in the big supermarchés to see if they have special baby detergents (Like we do in the US), but if they do, I imagine those would work, too.

Ok speaking of laundry and diapers....I need to get back to it! Good luck!!!

michdeva 11-21-2011 07:30 AM

Thank you so much for your reply, Cydista. I will definitely look into finding a Bebe au Naturel group here in the Provence. You'd think there'd be one with all the UK/US expats down here.

And yes, I already use Ecover on my husband and my own clothes right now - so that's good to know that I don't need to find something even more softer/less chemically for the diapers & inserts. I will look out for bulk sizes of the stuff and ask at the two local Bio marches here in town.

Thank you SO much for all your advice and the tips you gave me! Every little bit helps!

Cheers!