Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Need a go-to potluck main dish (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1033286)

ChoiceSoaps 07-20-2010 02:24 PM

Need a go-to potluck main dish

We go to potluck meals at least once a month, and I've never really found a go-to meal. I'd like to find something that's little prep and tasty. There are facility to keep it cold, hot, or crockpot--anything goes. Please share your favorites! I'd like to find one or two go-to meals so I don't have to think about what to make for these things. TIA!

wyoming butterfly 07-20-2010 02:26 PM

Re: Need a go-to potluck main dish

our church does pot luck once a month and I use the mixes from Homemade gourmet. Quick and easy here is a link if interested www.homemadegourmet.com/ThrishaMyers LMK if you have questions

Hitchkids 07-20-2010 03:01 PM

Macaroni and cheese seems to always be a popular one. Or fruit salad. Just keep it simple and make something you know your family enjoys and don't stress so much. Other popular dishes I've seen go quickly are mini chicken salad sandwiches, pulled pork, any pasta dish, bbq chicken.

cupcakewright 07-20-2010 09:35 PM

Mexican Casserole

Cooked hamburger meat 1 lb with taco seasoning ( I like to cook onion with this)
1 can kidney beans
1 can corn
1 cup salsa
1 can black olives
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 cups cooked rice
chili powder and cumin to taste

bake until hot, them add cheddar cheese and heat until melted.

Serve with chips and sour cream.

mayasmom23 07-21-2010 12:31 AM

Here's one we just tried and everyone loved it.

Ultimate Tater Tot Casserole

1 pound of chicken breast cut into chunks and browned
1/2 pound of bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 pounds of frozen tater tots (plain, unseasoned)
2 cups of broccoli, cooked (or you can use a can of green beans or peas that have been drained)
2 cups of colby jack or your favorite cheddar cheese, shredded
1 can of condensed cream of chicken soup
1 cup of sour cream
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 teaspoon of seasoning salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of onion powder
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper

What you need to do:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine the soup, sour cream, seasoning salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne pepper.

Mix well.

Add 1 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese and the milk. Mix well. Set aside.

Spray a 9 x 13 glass baking dish with non-stick spray. Put the cooked chicken in the bottom of the baking dish.

Add the cooked broccoli or other vegetables.

Pour the sauce mixture on top of the chicken and broccoli.

Layer the frozen tater tots on top.

Sprinkle with the cooked bacon.

Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 45 minutes.

Hands&Fire Pottery 07-21-2010 02:17 AM

Homemade Baked Potato soup with little bowls of bacon, cheese, and scallions
Lasagna
Stuffed shells with meatballs in the crockpot

kais_momma 07-25-2010 04:34 PM

I know it's not a main dish, but it is amazing. boil 2 cans of evaporated milk for 4 hours. You have to stay on top of it and make sure the water doesn't evaporate, but it's way easy. After boiling put the contents into a pie crust put whipped cream on top and chocolate shavings if desired and you will have the most amazing carmel pie. You will be the talk of the town and everyone will want the recipe.

ETA: make little circle bases to put the cans on out of tin foil so the bottoms of the cans don't touch the bottom of the pot.

Rainshine Designs 07-25-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kais_momma (Post 10815064)
I know it's not a main dish, but it is amazing. boil 2 cans of evaporated milk for 4 hours. You have to stay on top of it and make sure the water doesn't evaporate, but it's way easy. After boiling put the contents into a pie crust put whipped cream on top and chocolate shavings if desired and you will have the most amazing carmel pie. You will be the talk of the town and everyone will want the recipe.

ETA: make little circle bases to put the cans on out of tin foil so the bottoms of the cans don't touch the bottom of the pot.

Is that evaporated or sweetened condensed milk? If it's evaporated, where does the sweet come from?

kocho 07-25-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hands&Fire Pottery (Post 10779955)
Homemade Baked Potato soup with little bowls of bacon, cheese, and scallions
Lasagna
Stuffed shells with meatballs in the crockpot

I'd love some recipes!!!

I think for our church picnic this year I'm going to make Chicken and Rice. I got the recipe from on here and love it. It is a bit of work, but not bad.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...ftover+chicken

rahhlady 08-05-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainshine Designs (Post 10815096)
Is that evaporated or sweetened condensed milk? If it's evaporated, where does the sweet come from?

:headscratch: I was wondering the SAME thing. I don't know where the 'caramel' would come from.