Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Eastern Canada (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=119)
-   -   New to Cape Breton (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1035970)

novemberlily 07-23-2010 11:49 PM

New to Cape Breton

I recently just moved to Cape Breton from Vancouver, BC. And we currently live in Ingonish (DH is a chef at a resort here and we moved for his work) but he wants to get transferred to Sydney.
I post on another forum and I didn't get any good feedback at all about the city. I go to Sydney at least once a week (it's about an hour away) so I do know the city a little bit. But like I said, I'm weary because I haven't heard really anything good except from our realtor. We put an offer on an amazing house (near Crescent St for any locals to give me a better idea of the area) and I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me some good things about the city...like fun stuff to do, things to see etc etc.

novemberlily 07-25-2010 08:17 AM

Re: New to Cape Breton

19 views and no replies :(

NSnewmom 07-25-2010 12:07 PM

Welcome to Nova Scotia! I don't know much about Cape Breton, but I know that there is at least one regular poster here from CB. Hopefully she will find this thread. I also have a few facebook friends who live in the Sydney area. PM me if you want names.

amandartr 07-30-2010 06:23 AM

I also live in Cape Breton, about an hour north of Ingonish. I've lived here full time for almost four years now, and you've probably been to Sydney more times than I have! I can't really say that I am a fan of the city, because I prefer the rural Cape Breton lifestyle as opposed to Sydney. Although I don't have a lot of free time, I love all the outdoor activities that are available here. I am from Halifax though, so I could be a bit biased towards Halifax as a city choice. Sorry I couldn't help point you to some fun stuff in Sydney, but maybe my post will get others to come forward with their positive opinions!

mbleblanc 07-30-2010 09:04 PM

Hey mama! Im on kings rd. :)
PLEASE transfer here! I have no friends that cd :(

Its a great place but there isn't much to do. I go to the library, go to the park, play in the sprinklers with DS at wentworth park, feed the ducks, walk the boardwalk and just make fun where I can find it.

I like living here vs. ingo or margaree because of being close to all the amenities(sp?) but I like that I only have to drive an hour and a half to be back into the country driving four wheelers and laying on the beach :goodvibes:

I hope you guys transfer here :) You can PM me anytime.

novemberlily 07-30-2010 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbleblanc (Post 10857915)
Hey mama! Im on kings rd. :)
PLEASE transfer here! I have no friends that cd :(

Its a great place but there isn't much to do. I go to the library, go to the park, play in the sprinklers with DS at wentworth park, feed the ducks, walk the boardwalk and just make fun where I can find it.

I like living here vs. ingo or margaree because of being close to all the amenities(sp?) but I like that I only have to drive an hour and a half to be back into the country driving four wheelers and laying on the beach :goodvibes:

I hope you guys transfer here :) You can PM me anytime.

Awesome, you should friend me so we can get together for sometime once we move. We're moving in September, plus I'm Sydney at least once a week, so maybe even before then.

I love that fact too. Especially coming from Vancouver, I think going straight from the BIG city to the rural lifestyle was too much of a culture shock for me haha. I also need my timmies which I haven't been able to get very often LOL

ETA: The sale on our house just went through, we'll be just off George St :D

mbleblanc 08-02-2010 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novemberlily (Post 10858507)
Awesome, you should friend me so we can get together for sometime once we move. We're moving in September, plus I'm Sydney at least once a week, so maybe even before then.

I love that fact too. Especially coming from Vancouver, I think going straight from the BIG city to the rural lifestyle was too much of a culture shock for me haha. I also need my timmies which I haven't been able to get very often LOL

ETA: The sale on our house just went through, we'll be just off George St :D

Congrats on the house going through! I couldnt imagine living in such a rural area. Do you have facebook? Ill PM you my email and hopefully we can get together.

HarpersGirl 08-24-2010 07:53 PM

Totally lurking and new to DS (thanks for the invite Novemberlily!) but just wanted to say I am in Sydney as well, Victoria Rd actually. I CD and have no friends that CD, its a lonely world here haha

If you ever need any insights to things around the area, Ive been living here for 9 years. Im originally from Port Hawkesbury, so I know what moving from country to city is like!

grandgully 03-29-2012 06:55 PM

I'm from CB too. Grew up just outside of Sydney and live in Richmond County now. are you girls going to participate in the Great Cloth Diaper Change on April 21st?

firefaery6683 04-27-2012 06:15 AM

Hey,
This is an old thread but I am posting.. I'm a new mama to a little (big!) 3 month old dude.. I'm totally not a social person however all my few friends live in other provinces... and I am trying to be more social, for my son. So anyone who wants to chat on here or facebook, and maybe get together in person in the future, PM me!