Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daily Chat Threads (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   For the Love of Reading Group July 26-August 1 (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1037183)

myfrugalfunlife 07-26-2010 05:17 AM

For the Love of Reading Group July 26-August 1

Do You Like to Read? Do you want to make reading a bigger part of your life OR are you already an avid reader but want someplace to discuss books and get book recommendations?

WELCOME!

This will be a daily/weekly thread where weíll set personal goals for reading, as well as discussing books. This also can be a place for you to keep track of how many/what books youíre reading to your kids, if youíd like

How to Get Started:
First set a goal for yourself! You can challenge yourself to read a certain amount of pages or books per month/year. This is OPTIONAL-if you donít want a goal thatís fine. Having one is just a tool to help some of us make sure weíre reading but its not a requirement to join in
If you do decide to set a personal goal you can post it here but you DON'T have to if you'd rather keep it private-this is NOT a competition and there is no prize for reading the most books lol!
Do whatever YOU want to do and most of all HAVE FUN with reading!

Second-get a book and start reading! When youíre done with a book it would be great if you could talk about it here-you donít have to do a chapter by chapter summary but just a sentence or two about why you like/dislike it. This will help others find new books to enjoy themselves

And feel free to join in at any time! Iíll start a new thread every week so it doesnít get to overwhelming.

myfrugalfunlife 07-26-2010 05:18 AM

Re: For the Love of Reading Group July 26-August 1

Its a new week :)
I'm going to start Boneman's Daughters by Ted Dekker today. My fil read it while we were camping and he said it was really good so I'm excited to start!

What's everyone reading this week?

Rainfall 07-26-2010 10:22 AM

I'm hoping to finish Remembering Blue in the next day or two. It's a good book, but I haven't been able to spend a lot of time at once with it, so I've been putting it off until I can. That, and my MIL was in town this weekend staying with us, so we were busy and I didn't get any reading in.

I also have A Year in the Maine Woods and The Red Tree borrowed from the library I really want to finish before the 1st so I can make my monthly goal. A friend has Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang and said I could borrow that as well, so I might swing over there today while I'm running errands and pick that one up to put on my list for this week.

sh0rtchica 07-26-2010 11:16 AM

i'm almost done with my current book. i have a train trip to NYC & back tomorrow for work, which means about 6 hours on the train, so i should have plenty of time to get in some more reading:)

really didn't read at all this weekend. DH was out of town, and with all of the cleaning i had to get done there wasn't a moment for myself!

iris0110 07-26-2010 07:31 PM

Finished all of the volumes of Ai No Kusabi that I own so 2,3,4,5 &6 for a total of 823 pages. The last book was the best of the series but I am left seriously craving more. I want to know how it ends. I just cannot locate book 7 anywhere. I am hoping I can dig up a fan translation online if nothing else just to finish it. Not sure what to start on tomorrow. I'm seriously considering reading my Togainu No Chi Doujinshi tonight, we will see when I get the kids to bed what I feel like doing.

On Goal 2, We read more of The Celery Stalks at Midnight today at lunch time. Two chapters left and we will finish those before bed, if Kearnan ever finishes dinner.

Goal 3, Kearnan read No Puppies Today to me. He got through it with very little help from me. If he keeps progressing at this rate he can start reading Magic Tree House books to himself soon I hope. Maybe he will read to his little brother.

Rainfall 07-27-2010 10:58 PM

So I finished Remembering Blue today and really enjoyed it. It was an easy, light read and left warm fuzzies when I was done. A good summery book.

I'm also almost done with a couple of audiobooks - The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne and Bull's Island by Dorothea Benton Frank. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas hasn't caught my attention much yet. I'm almost at the halfway mark and really hoping for something soon. I'm loving Bull's Island, but the narrators are a little annoying. I've managed to ignore the annoyances but at first I almost gave up on it. I'm glad I stuck with it because the story has me sucked in.

Up next for books are A Year in the Maine Woods and The Red Tree. And I have a couple hundred other books here on my bookshelves waiting to be read, yet I still have a "need" to go check out library books. ACK!

Jen1409 07-28-2010 07:43 AM

I'd love to join this group!

Rainfall 07-28-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen1409 (Post 10836563)
I'd love to join this group!

Hi Jen! Of course, jump right in! :goodvibes: Whatcha reading? What kinds of goals did you want to set up for yourself? And anytime you have a great book recommendation, let us know! We love to hear them!

myfrugalfunlife 07-28-2010 10:04 AM

went to the library and picked up a bunch of books-there's no way I'm going to be able to get through all of them before they're due but I couldn't decide which ones to leave behind :giggle: I started Cemetery Dance by Child/Preston-they are two of my favorite authors and together they're awesome! I'm so sad though-a character that's been in all their books was killed within the first chapter :cry: :blush:

Rainfall 07-28-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myfrugalfunlife (Post 10837860)
went to the library and picked up a bunch of books-there's no way I'm going to be able to get through all of them before they're due but I couldn't decide which ones to leave behind :giggle: I started Cemetery Dance by Child/Preston-they are two of my favorite authors and together they're awesome! I'm so sad though-a character that's been in all their books was killed within the first chapter :cry: :blush:

Oh yeah, that's my biggest problem with library trips! One time I came home with a huge stack and by the time I'd read through almost half of them, I wasn't even in the mood for the other ones, lol!