Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Bean recipes? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1039222)

PurpleDaffodil 07-28-2010 02:22 PM

Bean recipes?

I need some cheap bean recipes to use. I want to start eating them at least once a week.

rachelanne820 07-29-2010 08:14 AM

Re: Bean recipes?

:( too bad no one responded to this thread. I'd like to eat more beans, too. I have bags of dried beans but don't really know what to do with them.

kocho 07-29-2010 08:22 AM

I got this recipe from someone on here for a garbanzo bean snack.

Roasted Garbanzo beans

Take a couple cans of garbanzo/chickpeas, drain and pat dry.
Add 2 tbs olive oil (or any fave oil)
Salt to taste (I like mine salty, so 1 tsp)
Cumin, 1-2tsp
dash of pepper.

Mix together. Pop into a hot oven (400*) for 25 minutes, stirring once in the middle of cooking.

The only other thing I make is my mom's Baked Lima Beans from dried baby lima beans

1 lb baby lima beans
lb bacon cut up
2 onions chopped
1 cup catsup
1 can tomato soup
soup can water
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp salt
dash of garlic powder

Wash beans and soak until skins begin to curl (about 2 hours). Cover with fresh water, add a teaspoon of baking soda to the water. Cook on top of stove until beans are tender (about 45 minutes). Combine all remaining ingredients. Drain beans and add sauce. Bake in 350 for about 2 hours. Do not cook dry.

KWinMT 07-29-2010 10:17 PM

One word - HUMMUS!! Chickpeas, garlic, olive oil and a few fresh herbs in the blender and you've got a super healthy and yummy spread to dip carrots and spread on sandwiches. I sometimes make a wrap with a whole wheat tortilla, hummus, lettuce and whatever veggies I have - yum!

Also, I love to make a southwest salad with black beans

2 cups frozen corn
1 can black beans (or 1 1/2 cups of cooked black beans)
1 small bell pepper
1/2 small red onion
Juice of one lime
2 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
sliced green onion to top it off

Mix all ingredients and let sit for 20 minutes or so until the corn is thawed, top with green onion and eat! I thn=ink I initially got this from a Rachel Ray show

I also love to make a veggie enchilada:

Filling for enchiladas
1 block of cream cheese ( I always use the low fat)
1 can black beans or 1/2 cups cooked beans (pinto beans are also yummy in this too)
1 block of frozen spinach - thawed and excess moisture squeezed out
Any other veggies you may like you can throw in (bell pepper, broccoli, zucchini)
1 cup Mexican four cheese blend - or whatever cheese (optional - delicious with or without)
1 small can diced green chilis
1-2 tsp garlic powder (to taste)
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste.
(all of these spice measurements are approximate - I don't measure, I season to until it tastes right)

Buy a can of enchilada sauce - I far prefer green for this recipe, but red will work too.
Buy a package of tortillas - taco size.

Spray a 9x13 inch pan with cooking spray - put a I buy a bag of tortillas - usually use whole wheat - and put a little of the enchilada sauce at the bottom. Then start putting the filling in the tortillas and rolling them up and placing them in the pan - repeat until the pan is full. Pour enchilada sauce over the tortilla rolls (make sure some gets down between the rolls). Bake at 400 for 15 minutes, top with more cheese if desired and put back in oven until cheese is melted (10 minutes-ish).

Hope these help you! I love to cook and eat beans!

averysydneymommy 07-29-2010 10:35 PM

My fav. way to eat beans . . . cook them in a crockpot first [rinse, then soak overnight in crockpot base w/ 2 in of water over the bean "line", rise and drain, then cook on low for 6 hrs. with 4 inches of water over the bean line, drain off excess water] For more flavor I put chicken bullion cubes and pepper in the water. For the reg size bags, this should net you the equivalent of 3 cans.

I cook rice, adding 1/2 packet of taco seasoning to about 4 servings of rice.
add black beans, then top with salsa (I prefer homemade in the summer with all the fresh produce) and cheese and sour cream.

Monzie 07-31-2010 05:46 PM

I make the pinto beans from this recipe these quite often...

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chi...bean_tostadas/

They are so much better than tasteless refried beans from a can! You might not be able to find Chipotle Tabasco sauce in Scotland, however. You could probably just substitute some dried ground chipotle or canned "chipotles en adobo" if you can find them.

mayasmom23 07-31-2010 06:04 PM

Here's one I got a long time ago. I don't know who Bekah is! LOL

Bekah's Pasta

1 box of pasta-cooked and drained
1 can black beans
1 can corn
1 jar of salsa
1 can cream soup (whatever you want)
2 cooked and cubed chicken breasts
2 cups lowfat cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 350. Mix beans, corn, salsa, and cream soup. Add pasta and chicken. Put in greased 9x13 pan. Bake until cooked through. Add cheese. Bake until cheese is melted. Enjoy!

mmmarmalade 08-02-2010 10:25 AM

We like black beans and rice:

1 onion
1 pepper (color your choice)
1 can tomatoes (undrained)
3 cups cooked beans (I usually cook a whole bunch in my crock pot. They keep for about a week in the fridge. What we don't use in stuff like this, we make into refried)
garlic, to taste
1 cup liquid (bean cooking liquid, chicken stock, veggie stock, or water)
olive oil
s/p to taste

Chop and cook onion and pepper in olive oil until soft, (you can add garlic to saute with them if you're using fresh, or add whenever if you're using powdered/dried/whatever) add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until the liquid is mostly gone.

Then serve over rice pilaf:

1 onion
1 1/2 cups rice
butter
3 cups some kind of stock (we use chicken, but if you're vegetarian, veggie stock works just as well)

Chop onion and cook in butter until softened. Add rice (and more butter if needed) and cook for another 3 minutes or until rice gets all glossy.
Add liquid and simmer for about 15 minutes or until rice is cooked and liquid is gone.

We also substitute beans for chicken or beef in a lot of casserole recipes. Usually ends up tasting just as good or better, but not the same as the original recipe.

HTH!

shannon658 08-02-2010 07:53 PM

These are great ideas, especially the hummus (love it!).

I have some Indian recipes if anyone is interested - kidney bean, chickpea, black eyed pea curries. They're healthy and easy, but you do have to have some specialty spices.

kocho 08-03-2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shannon658 (Post 10880002)
These are great ideas, especially the hummus (love it!).

I have some Indian recipes if anyone is interested - kidney bean, chickpea, black eyed pea curries. They're healthy and easy, but you do have to have some specialty spices.

I'd love to take a look. Please share!!