Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Freezing - how to do it? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1039722)

rachelanne820 07-29-2010 09:48 AM

Freezing - how to do it?

I am going to attempt to cook and freeze this weekend. I'm hoping it will eliminate my having to cook dinner every night.

Only problem is I've never froze anything I've cooked before.

I am planning on dividing everything up into single serving portions prior to freezing.

My question is what should I use to freeze in? I am trying to eliminate using plastic but if plastic bags will keep them best then I will use them. I thought about foil but don't want freezer burn.

Also, how long can prepared meals keep in the freezer??

Thanks!!! I am exicted about this adventure. I am hoping it will make us just a little more thirifty and green. We shall see!! :)

maddies.mom 07-29-2010 10:00 AM

Re: Freezing - how to do it?

I use the aluminum pans and get different sizes for whatever I needed... what works for me is putting the food in the pan (and you can also reheat directly in it!), and then cover it with foil, then double wrap with plastic (that way the plastic isn't touching the food), and tape close. If it's a smaller pan and will fit in a large ziploc, I skip the saran and seal it in a ziploc.

I think depending on what you're making will depend on how long it keeps (and also how well it's stored)... we try to go through everything within 3 months so it's a fresh and constant cycle. Otherwise, I will lose track of what's in my freezer and end up having it in there wayy too long!

hth!

rachelanne820 07-29-2010 10:07 AM

Wow - 3 months?! That's great. I was thinking weeks...I had no clue, though!

You think it would work if i wrapped each portion in foil THEN put in plastic bags??

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddies.mom (Post 10846955)
I use the aluminum pans and get different sizes for whatever I needed... what works for me is putting the food in the pan (and you can also reheat directly in it!), and then cover it with foil, then double wrap with plastic (that way the plastic isn't touching the food), and tape close. If it's a smaller pan and will fit in a large ziploc, I skip the saran and seal it in a ziploc.

I think depending on what you're making will depend on how long it keeps (and also how well it's stored)... we try to go through everything within 3 months so it's a fresh and constant cycle. Otherwise, I will lose track of what's in my freezer and end up having it in there wayy too long!

hth!

Heyheybaby83 07-29-2010 03:14 PM

I don't know how practical this is for you, but my MIL will freeze her food the dish, which she lines with foil or plastic, that she normally would cook in. Once it's frozen, she removes the food from the lined dish and wraps it up. When it comes time to cook it, all she has to do is unwrap it and plop the molded food in the dish she originally froze it in. It saves her from having to buy a ton of the foil dishes.

2queens&1princenmyhouse 07-29-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachelanne820 (Post 10847086)
Wow - 3 months?! That's great. I was thinking weeks...I had no clue, though!

You think it would work if i wrapped each portion in foil THEN put in plastic bags??

I'm thinking that if you did this, then you could reuse the plastic bags.

That said, I use gallon size ziploc bags and just dump the remainder of whatever dinner we have into it. Then I defrost it in the fridge and dump it in a pan to reheat later. Tonight we're having chili that I made 2-3 weeks ago.