Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Bread Recipes? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104100)

AshersMommy 02-26-2007 10:20 AM

Bread Recipes?

Does anyone have any good, easy bread recipes? I do NOT have a stand mixer, so I need stuff that I can make by hand. I would really love to learn how to make bread, but not really sure how to start.

mamato5angels 02-26-2007 11:42 AM

Re: Bread Recipes?

I will pm you a recipe that is easy. (easier than typing it all out)

she2dancer 02-26-2007 11:52 AM

This is really simple and good!

Beer Bread

3 cups self raising flour (or 3 cups all purpose, 3 teaspoons baking powder and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt)
3 Tablespoons
1 (12 oz) can beer

1. Preheat oven to 375*F (190*C). Lightly grease or spray a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Combine all ingredients, mixing well.
3. Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour.

Makes 1 loaf

the alcohol cooks out and it tastes yummy!! Can't get any easier than this!

benjason 02-27-2007 11:46 AM

This is yummy! We've stopped buying bread and make this each weekend instead. Very easy recipe.

English Muffin Loaf

A no-knead, chewy bread - good plain or toasted. Preparation time - a little over an hour.

2 pkgs. dry yeast
2 c. whole wheat flour
3 c. unbleached flour
1/2 c. wheat germ
2 tsp. salt
cornmeal
2 c. milk
1/2 c. warm water
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tbs. honey
2 tbs. margarine or butter

Heat milk; add honey and margarine - let cool. In a large bowl dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in milk mixture, wheat germ, whole wheat flour, 1 c. unbleached flour, salt and soda. Beat well.

Stir in rest of flour. Divide and spoon into 2 (8 1/2x 4 1/2 inch) loaf pans that are greased and sprinkled with cornmeal. Pat into place. Sprinkle cornmeal on tops. Cover with waxed paper; let rise in a warm place about 25 minutes. Be sure that dough does not rise to top of pan before baking; bake when dough reaches about 3/4 up side of pan.

Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 25 minutes. Cool on rack.

adakaAC 03-01-2007 05:34 PM

Just made this last week, yummy!! Oh and I only have a hand mixer. I did find that is was easier to bix the last C of flour with a wooden spoon.

Beignet Recipe

A beignet recipe, similar to those you might find in the French Market of New Orleans, Louisiana.

INGREDIENTS:

1 envelope active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water (approx. 105)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup evaporated milk
7 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup shortening, softened
oil for deep frying
powdered sugar

PREPARATION:

In large bowl, sprinkle yeast over the warm water; stir to dissolve and let stand for 5 minutes. Add sugar, salt, beaten eggs, and evaporated milk. Whisk or use electric mixer to blend thoroughly. Add 4 cups of the flour; beat until smooth. Add shortening; gradually blend in remaining flour. Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 4 hours or overnight. Roll out on floured board to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 2 1/2 to 3-inch squares. Deep fry at 360 for 2 to 3 minutes until lightly browned on both sides. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle generously with powdered sugar. Serve hot with coffee.
Dough can cut and frozen, separated in container with waxed paper.

Makes 4 to 5 dozen.