Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   "Alternative" cake for a 1-year-old's b-day? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1041816)

laurangel 08-01-2010 04:11 PM

"Alternative" cake for a 1-year-old's b-day?

My baby is turning ONE on Friday, and we're having a small party for her. DH and I agree that we aren't ready to give her a sugar-filled birthday cake yet, but we'd like her to have a healthier cake-like something to eat. Any ideas? She doesn't have any allergies that we know of.

THANKS for the ideas!

Joyful Tie Dyes 08-01-2010 04:18 PM

Re: "Alternative" cake for a 1-year-old's b-day?

How about a carrot cake with cream cheese icing?

Connor 08-01-2010 04:23 PM

My friend always does pumpkin or bananna bread for her LOs birthdays! And cut up fruits.

catilina 08-01-2010 04:52 PM

Well, these aren't "cake-like" because we don't give our LOs wheat until they are at least 2 (because of family history of allergies and celiac disease), but for DS's 1st birthday he got a parfait made of yogurt, strawberries, and bananas, with freeze-dried fruit on top. For DD's 1st birthday we did a watermelon "cake," topped with blackberries, cantaloupe, and kiwi. If you want something with the mess factor of a "smash cake," a parfait works well! :)

hippiemama86 08-01-2010 04:56 PM

Oh my, for starters, I think you have a great idea! When my ds turns 1, I'm not going to want to give him tons of sugar in a mini cake either, but I want the experience. I found a couple things I'd be willing to give my ds...

1. HEALTHY APPLESAUCE CAKE (minus the walnuts)

1 3/4 c. sifted whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
3 tbsp. fructose
1 c. honey
2/3 c. butter
1/3 c. milk
2 eggs, at room temperature
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cloves
1 c. raisins
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
Apple juice

Warm honey and cream with butter. Add fructose to unsweetened applesauce, set aside.

Add eggs to creamed mixture and mix well. Add milk and applesauce and continue to beat while you measure remaining ingredients except raisins and nuts. Beat dry ingredients with applesauce mixture just until mixed well; do not overbeat. Stir in raisins and nuts; pour batter into a well-greased 9x13 inch pan.

Or...

2. "HEALTHY" CARROT CAKE (minus the nuts and confectioners sugar)

1 c. oil (safflower or canola)
3/4 c. sugar
3 eggs
2 c. flour (preferably 1 c. white unbleached and 1 c. whole wheat)
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 c. coconut (unsweetened)
1 c. crushed pineapple (undrained)
2 c. grated carrots
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 c. chopped nuts
3/4 c. raisins

Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix with spoon. Turn into a greased and floured 13x9 inch pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes. Top with:

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:

4 tbsp. butter
8 oz. softened cream cheese
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. confectioners' sugar

Or...

3. HEALTHY MULTI-GRAIN, NUT, RAISINS (Of course without the nuts, and maybe sub some dried fruit.

BREAD

2 c. milk, scalded
3 tbsp. shortening or butter
3 tbsp. molasses
1/2 c. honey
2 tsp. salt
1 cake compressed or pkg. granular yeast
1 tbsp. sugar
1/2 c. lukewarm water
2 1/2 c. sifted all-purpose flour
3 c. unsifted whole wheat flour
1/2 c. Miller's bran
1/2 c. wheat germ
1/2 c. Quaker oats
3/4 c. nuts
3/4 c. raisins

Scald milk, add shortening, molasses, honey and salt. Cook to lukewarm. Dissolve yeast and sugar in lukewarm water. Let stand 10 minutes. Add yeast to lukewarm milk. Stir in 2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour. Beat until full of bubbles. Then add whole wheat flour, bran, nuts, raisins, wheat germ and oats gradually.

Turn the dough on floured board, knead until smooth and satiny. Place in a greased bowl. Cover. Let rise in a warm place until double in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.

Punch dough down again and let rise until about 3/4 as high as the first rise, about 3/4 hour.

Divide dough in two portions. Shape into two loaves.

Place in greased bread pans. Cover. Let rise until double in bulk. Bake at 375F for 35 to 40 minutes.

Good luck mama, hope these help! :) And happy b-day to your 1 yr old!!!

chloecat 08-01-2010 04:57 PM

not very healthy, but we just did an ice cream sandwich cake for my 3 year olds party this weekend. stacked about 12 icecream sandwiches on a plate cut them in half and put candles on top. worked great and i had lots of compliments!

briannah 08-01-2010 06:01 PM

We didn't want to do the full-sugar cake either, and my twin boys are both highly allergic to dairy so it wasn't really an option anyway. We did "pumpkin harves" cupcakes (you can google for the recipes). The boys loved them! We didn't even end up serving them at their actual party because our guests treated the babies like a freak show (I disgress... that's a whole other post). We gave them the cupcakes when we got home instead, before dinner (we added some soyogourt for "frosting"!).

aylasmommy 08-01-2010 06:22 PM

We have always been a pie family so whenever cake was traditionally called for, we had pie. Fresh apple pie was always my favorite. The beauty about fruit pies is there's only as much added sugar as you decide to put in. Otherwise it's just the fruit shining through.

katiecornflakes 08-01-2010 06:46 PM

We gave DS a little cupcake and a fruit tart. All he ate was the fruit off the tart! So that's what I'll do next time. :)

NotOnMyBaby 08-01-2010 06:54 PM

For my LO's 1st birthday I am making her "cake" with a fruit juice sweetened pumpkin bread recipe and making fresh organic whipped cream for the "icing". On the first birthday it is all about the photo-op! We are using one of those giant cupcake pans. Its going to be so cute!

My sis and I made this recipe up:
* 2 cups flour ( whole wheat, oat bran, whatever you like)
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
* 1 (6 ounce) frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed (reserve 1 tbsp. for filling)
* 2 eggs, beaten (or 2 equivalent egg substitute)
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
350 for 25-50 min depending on what kind of pan.